Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Men Monday #235 – Kieron Gillen Discusses ‘Rise of the Powers of X’ #1

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/01/15/x-...powers-of-x-1/

I liked how he talked about Enigma being in his initial pitch and the connection with Ewing's Defenders Beyond. Also all of this below about Charles.

AIPT: X-Fan Percival S. has truly appreciated your time with the X-Men, and your work is one of the things that first got Percival into reading and buying comics. As unlikely as it may seem, Charles Xavier is one of Percival’s favorite characters and he’s really grown in your books. Percival was wondering if there was something in particular that drew you to him as a character to develop?

Kieron: Firstly, thank you.

He’s certainly one of the characters I was attracted to — I’m normally attracted to characters I think need a little work or have space for more development.

Basically, I felt he’s had a somewhat raw deal. Not in the fiction (he’s done all manner of awful things) just from generations of writers throwing him under the bus. I found myself thinking it’s almost as if Superman was never the lead in his own book — if you have this person who is meant to be a paragon, and they’re NOT the core character, the most logical plot is “The paragon is not the paragon the other characters thought they were.” The only way is down. The contrast between Xavier the saint and Xavier the person who has done all manner of shady **** is too much to overlook now.

So I just decided to take him seriously, without saying anything he’s done didn’t happen or had mitigating factors. How would Xavier justify what he’s done to himself? What’s in the text to support that view? Sure, he’s a bad father, but I’d also make it clear he’s a child of bad fathers. I’d try and center him in his own stories. I’d admit the hypocrisies (I think his hypocrisy is the main reason why he’s become so hated — Apocalypse is worse in every way in terms of what he’s done, but he’s honest, so folks seem to forgive him) but make an argument why he does this. And I do like where it ended up — this person who is spouting idealism (and believes it!) but is pragmatic to the point of utter heartlessness.

I thought about it a lot, and it’s core to the book. I wrote most of Immortal X-Men #10’s narration before I’d finished issue 1.

You may not like him now, of course, but hopefully folks get why he is the way he is… and now they get where his head is at, we can follow him further and see where it leads. It’s been a surprise to me too.

AIPT: Finally, what can you tease about Rise of the Powers of X #2, on sale February 21, 2024?

Kieron: For a start, all the black on the first issue’s No Place data page will be revealed. Plus: the vibe is basically cosmic Das Boot. It’s fun, for a certain, petrifying value of “fun.”

This week's eXclusive preview images!

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

That's one big-ass sandwich, Nathan!

This was a fun interview, Gillen is always a joy to read. I'm digging the preview art as well... is Everett syncing with Xuân there?

And it's very interesting to read that the blacked-out bits on the data pages will be revealed with the next issue, although I think the biggest mystery (the identity of the 2 unrevealed members of Xavier's new inner circle) might have been spoiled by a variant cover?

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Love that the bloackouts will be revealed immediately.

LOVE LOVE LOVE his take on Xavier. I know tons of people complain about "writers writing Xavier being ****ty", and I love that Immortal was Gillen's answer to that. In my opinion, from what I read so far, he's succeded.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That storm panel from RoM 01 looks so good! Can't Wait for Wednesday.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

This
    Unit vs Nimrod in a straight-ahead fight? Oh, Unit would be toast. Probably my main regret of not being able to bring him back means that I wouldn’t get a chance for Unit to get smashed. A smug villain who remains unpunched is not living up to their full potential.
    makes me cry a bit for what never was.

Kieron: Well, I'm heading off from Marvel after this age finishes, so you'll have to ask other people. I'd like to think someone would find a use for him. I was planning to use him, actually. One of the plots I jettisoned for space for my first year actually had Unit as a character — he would have turned up as the diplomat from an AI confederacy, pissed off with Krakoa's anti-AI activity.
    So I guess Krakoa was anti-AI in general.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Love that the bloackouts will be revealed immediately.

LOVE LOVE LOVE his take on Xavier. I know tons of people complain about "writers writing Xavier being ****ty", and I love that Immortal was Gillen's answer to that. In my opinion, from what I read so far, he's succeded.
    There's a part of me that always felt that all the Xavier hate were the writers taking out their daddy issues out on Xavier, to be honest. The whole Danger and Deadly Genesis reveals weren't great, but seems exaggerated a la Hitler Cyclops.

Gillen's work with X has been top notch and I will miss him deeply after this era closes.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    There's a part of me that always felt that all the Xavier hate were the writers taking out their daddy issues out on Xavier, to be honest.
    I definitely felt that with Spurrier. He wrote Xavier as just unrelentingly awful, with Legion 100% justified in everything he felt towards him.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    That's one big-ass sandwich, Nathan!

This was a fun interview, Gillen is always a joy to read. I'm digging the preview art as well... is Everett syncing with Xuân there?

And it's very interesting to read that the blacked-out bits on the data pages will be revealed with the next issue, although I think the biggest mystery (the identity of the 2 unrevealed members of Xavier's new inner circle) might have been spoiled by a variant cover?

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Variant covers seldom, if ever, leak or spoil future players or roles. We already know Rachel might be one of those blacked out roles, as noted by Steve Foxe, so highly unlikely. So knowing that Askani is one who guides the Dead X-Men and has a role in Rise makes her a high probability candidate. And Wolverine was already shown in the book as an X-Men, so why would he be blacked out if he's already established? There are tons of options, although I feel any of the Quiet Council outside of Storm aren't likely. So maybe Storm or Illyana are my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    So I guess Krakoa was anti-AI in general.
    Oh it definitely was. The way they treated Danger and threw Madison Jeffries in the Pit made that clear.

Not at all surprised Gillen is into Iain M Banks given that’s also what I was reading about the time he started contributing to videogames magazines. They always had the best covers in the book shop!

Deleted post
    Last edited by Keno; 01-15-2024 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    I definitely felt that with Spurrier. He wrote Xavier as just unrelentingly awful, with Legion 100% justified in everything he felt towards him.
    Funny fact is, Spurrier himself admitted he was having trouble with his own son, and that completely shaped what he did with Way of X.

Xavier is the traditional bad fiction dad.