Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    When Brevoort was talking about particular types of character that he sees "a deficit of in the X-Line" he said, "I wish there were more viable black male characters, for example." That gave me hope that this is something he's going to attempt to address which gives me hope that Synch will continue to be utilized in his era.
    I hope so too. But also others like Third Eye.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I would love to see more use for Synch, Third Eye, Prodigy, Manifold, and Gentle. Bishop and Sunspot seem like sure things with X-Men '97 coming out.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I get what you are saying and I never said it was the main reason I read the comics as I very much read comics for the stories. That being said just because it's not a big deal to you it doesn't necessarily mean that it's not a issue.
    I never said it wasn't an issue. I was merely responding to your inference that because we are Black and Male we all should care that much. When the fact of the matter is we only really care that our personal faves are not written more often or if they're written badly. Yes we want more representation of Black Male Mutants but until that happens, until the Powers that Be realise it is an issue to be addressed I'm not going to stress too much about the lack of it.

I love the comics I read, full stop. If Third Eye and Maggot and Gentle and Manifold show up in a significant roles and are given solid development, great! Hallelujah! But I'm not looking for or expecting that "love" to be returned from Marvel.

As we mention Manifold...I wonder if we'll see a resolution to that plot point?
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-27-2024 at 02:33 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Spectacular Member

Not getting my hopes up, but Tom B was there 20+ years ago when Synch was killed off. Everett's death wasn't invisible to the black reader. My intuition is Brevoort will first get the readers who didn't like the Krakoa era(Those complaining about the direction being akin to segregation....) come back into reading X-men. Synch may get sideline early in the relaunch.

Anyway, Long Live The Krakoa Era....

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'm hoping the issue with rapidly aging while recalling powers not in his vicinity somehow gets solved during his upcoming visit with the HE.
    Odd. There are a million ways to remedy this, but I guess the writers want a built-in limitation.

Still, they could have come up with something better than a terminal ageing complex. I probably would have gone with a fragmentation limitation. The powers are all stored in his aura, but like hard drive memory, it just takes some powers longer than other to access, depending on how frequently he's accessed a given power and the type/size of said power. Physical abilities take less time. Energy powers take slightly longer. Godlike displays of power even longer to call up. Ultimately, in a combat situation not being able to summon a specific power on demand could be the difference between life and death. His or someone else's. Whatever the case, that seems more interesting to me than ageing.

But whatever works.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Odd. There are a million ways to remedy this, but I guess the writers want a built-in limitation.

Still, they could have come up with something better than a terminal ageing complex. I probably would have gone with a fragmentation limitation. The powers are all stored in his aura, but like hard drive memory, it just takes some powers longer than other to access, depending on how frequently he's accessed a given power and the type/size of said power. Physical abilities take less time. Energy powers take slightly longer. Godlike displays of power even longer to call up. Ultimately, in a combat situation not being able to summon a specific power on demand could be the difference between life and death. His or someone else's. Whatever the case, that seems more interesting to me than ageing.

But whatever works.
    Syncing with non mutants and cosmics should post a cooldown. The aging set back has nerfed Synch hard in RiseoPX #1. Energy powers amplifies his aura making him use this type of power at a higher level, but he may only mimic one power at a time while powers like Laura/Logan's claws or Warren's wings have no cost as being non energy based. Everett will still keep the old weakness on fighting without any mutants or super powered beings as long as it's not within the radius of his aura. He must always be creative in using powers he copies. While I'm assessing Synch's limitations, writers still get away with Hope's inconsequential abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherflash View Post
    While I'm assessing Synch's limitations, writers still get away with Hope's inconsequential abilities.

what is that supposed to mean?

Mighty Member

I think powerwise Synch has an advantage over Hope in that while he can copy the abilities of any super-powered being, she is limited to mutants only. I don't recall her mimicking any non mutant, her perk is that she can amplify the mutants ability the mimics. My question is how far a range do both have, is it immediate vicinity for hundreds of yards up to a mile?

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I would love to see more use for Synch, Third Eye, Prodigy, Manifold, and Gentle. Bishop and Sunspot seem like sure things with X-Men '97 coming out.
    I'd like to see at least 10 more black male mutant heroes, but that's just me. Way past time for some more to be created.

Hopefully Synch will stay alive in this next editorial cycle. He got treated badly in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    I think powerwise Synch has an advantage over Hope in that while he can copy the abilities of any super-powered being, she is limited to mutants only. I don't recall her mimicking any non mutant, her perk is that she can amplify the mutants ability the mimics. My question is how far a range do both have, is it immediate vicinity for hundreds of yards up to a mile?
    Hope has mimicked non-mutants before but that is a rare and not something she has been shown to do regularly with any inconsistency. For example she mimicked Iron Fist and Shou-lao in AvX

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'd like to see at least 10 more black male mutant heroes, but that's just me. Way past time for some more to be created.

Hopefully Synch will stay alive in this next editorial cycle. He got treated badly in the 90s.
    Did he though? Because I thought Marvel did well with him as a new character in that decade. He was written well over in Gen X

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    what is that supposed to mean?
    Writers had never bothered to put any kind of limitations for Hope. Unlike Synch, she doesn't have an aura to copy mutants. Unlike Rogue, she doesn't sire someone's lifeforce when touching. She still a potential phoenix host but isn't biologically relate to Jean(Even if she looks like a Jean clone). She'll be more viable compared to the two without needing an aura or gloves. What I'm saying is she don't abhorrent their weaknesses and copying mutant powers bares no consequences.

Recently she makes her debut in Marvel Future Fight and plays as a combat unit.(Rogue is Speed) If only Duggan can make Synch much more different from her...

Writers had never bothered to put any kind of limitations for Hope. Unlike Synch, she doesn't have an aura to copy mutants. Unlike Rogue, she doesn't sire someone's lifeforce when touching. She still a potential phoenix host but isn't biologically relate to Jean(Even if she looks like a Jean clone). She'll be more viable compared to the two without needing an aura or gloves. What I'm saying is she don't abhorrent their weaknesses and copying mutant powers bares no consequences.

Recently she makes her debut in Marvel Future Fight and plays as a combat unit.(Rogue is Speed) If only Duggan can make Synch much more different from her...
    Her limitation is that she's limited to mutants, unlike the other two. She needs to be within proximity to even begin to mimic anyone and she cant just call up any past power at will.

Synch is the one that has no limitations. The recall stuff is a new application of his powers and the aging only exists with that. His base mimic powers have no such negative consequence to him

Spectacular Member

Her limitation is that she's limited to mutants, unlike the other two. She needs to be within proximity to even begin to mimic anyone and she cant just call up any past power at will.

Synch is the one that has no limitations. The recall stuff is a new application of his powers and the aging only exists with that. His base mimic powers have no such negative consequence to him
    But that limit has no consequences like Synch's(Who needs an aura). She didn't need an aura and if it's only mutants, the writers must remind this setback. So far, she has an easier time on the last issue of Immortal X-men compare to Everett on X-men #30 where there's no Silver Surfer, Genis, or Eve Warlock around Counter Earth to sync with against The High Evolutonary. =/

But that limit has no consequences like Synch's(Who needs an aura). She didn't need an aura and if it's only mutants, the writers must remind this setback. So far, she has an easier time on the last issue of Immortal X-men compare to Everett on X-men #30 where there's no Silver Surfer, Genis, or Eve Warlock around Counter Earth to sync with against The High Evolutonary. =/
    Can you clarify what you mean by Synch needs an aura? As long as he is near any powered being, he can synch to them. There is no limit to that

Hope in the last issue of Immortal was alongside Exodus and has been using his powers for most of the last few issues. If she was in Synch's position in X-men 30, she'd be screwed as she wouldnt have had access to anyone's powers but Talons. Synch had the ability to use anyone's powers there. The HE just happens to be so much more powerful than he (and most beings)

Spectacular Member

Can you clarify what you mean by Synch needs an aura? As long as he is near any powered being, he can synch to them. There is no limit to that

Hope in the last issue of Immortal was alongside Exodus and has been using his powers for most of the last few issues. If she was in Synch's position in X-men 30, she'd be screwed as she wouldnt have had access to anyone's powers but Talons. Synch had the ability to use anyone's powers there. The HE just happens to be so much more powerful than he (and most beings)
    His aura is simply what defines his mutant power. It has a range to synchronizing another mutant or powered being's power which we both already know. Why he needs the aura because without it he can't copy another mutant's powers and modify it differently from the original. The worst case scenario, he'll be almost too human without the aura. There's so much mystery behind his aura besides detecting people with powers around his field. Can he extend the aura's range further from where he can originally detect a person's power to sync it? Right now, syncing outside his aura is dangerous because of the aging(His current weakness) and it don't power up said mutant powers plus it can oddly kill him in progress like on Rise #1. But it's odd that when he had Apocalypse's powers on his memory the latter's immortality could have canceled the aging from leading to his death.

So..yeah Hope will be screwed with just Talon's claws and healing factor, but she wouldn't die from mimicing a mutant's power in her memory or aging from syncing outside the aura's range. Synch's current weakness has life threaten risks until either Duggan reverse it or another writer do it in his place. His old weakness doesn't have this kind of drawback and only hand to hand combat can make up for no mutants within his aura. Hope makes up for guns without any mutants she can copy.