Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'm hoping the issue with rapidly aging while recalling powers not in his vicinity somehow gets solved during his upcoming visit with the HE.
    I hope not as the power recall thing is BS IMO. The rapidly aging thing was put in there as a way to balance him out but it never comes into play and the only time we saw it matter was in Rise of Powers of X when we see the effect of that 10 years in the future. Id rather the power recall just go away and he have his proximity synch back

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I miss Synch's aura. Why don't we see it anymore? It should be on him at all times IMO and could be used (by artist/colorist) to show motion/movement like a light trail.
    I think the simplistic answer is bc he isnt actively synching with anyone much anymore. The aura was used when he synched up with a mutant but if he's just recalling a power, then that shouldnt exist. I cant recall the last time we actually saw him use his base powers. He did so on the cover to X-men 19 (which his the aura to Cyclops) but by and large most of his appearances in the book over the last year has had him mentioning using Jean or Polaris' power (or some random mutant thats not present)
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-16-2024 at 02:03 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

While the power recall is an understandable progression of his powers, (as it was with Rogue back in the day), it is somewhat lazy writing/application and I do miss him actively synching with other mutants.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I hope not as the power recall thing is BS IMO. The rapidly aging thing was put in there as a way to balance him out but it never comes into play and the only time we saw it matter was in Rise of Powers of X when we see the effect of that 10 years in the future. Id rather the power recall just go away and he have his proximity synch back
    And, if Everett is alone and surrounded by Brood or Sentinels?

I think the simplistic answer is bc he isnt actively synching with anyone much anymore. The aura was used when he synched up with a mutant but if he's just recalling a power, then that shouldnt exist. I cant recall the last time we actually saw him use his base powers. He did so on the cover to X-men 19 (which his the aura to Cyclops) but by and large most of his appearances in the book over the last year has had him mentioning using Jean or Polaris' power (or some random mutant thats not present)
    Would Anna Marie's and Everett's powers cancel each other out or would they together create a Mutant Circuit more powerful than Ororo?
    Last edited by Micabe; 01-16-2024 at 03:54 PM.

I'm good with the power recall but if they are going to go that route then they should just do it without the aging BS. If it gets rid of the aging I would definitely be cool with him only being able to Synch via proximity.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

What I don't get is why - if he is in proximity to the Wolverines (Logan, Old Woman Laura, Young Woman Laura) - he is aging like that. The whole point of him surviving in the Vault was that since he was in proximity to Talon, the healing factor stopped him from aging like that. (No way else would he have lasted 500 years.)

So... Even if he uses powers by recall, Wolverine is right THERE. He should heal. It makes little sense.

Never mind that if he was able to recall A's powers, THAT should have healed him, too...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpack! View Post
    What I don't get is why - if he is in proximity to the Wolverines (Logan, Old Woman Laura, Young Woman Laura) - he is aging like that. The whole point of him surviving in the Vault was that since he was in proximity to Talon, the healing factor stopped him from aging like that. (No way else would he have lasted 500 years.)

So... Even if he uses powers by recall, Wolverine is right THERE. He should heal. It makes little sense.

Never mind that if he was able to recall A's powers, THAT should have healed him, too...
    Let us not discount having continuous sexual encounters with Laura as a contributing factor to Everett's longevity

Mighty Member

This has been my main issue with him being ravaged by his recalling ability .. LIke when we came back it was noted that his powers were always on & looking to synch to mutants.. So when he went into the vault with both Laura and Darwin.. he was able to withstand that compressed time beause he was synching to Laura's and Darwin's abilities. So him being in close proximity to Logan should have served as a counter serve as a counterbalance to him being so ravaged..moreover A is an external and if he died while recalling him shouldn't he have some of the regeneration or resurrection tied into that. Like to me its just another ploy to sideline Ev so he doesn't have to be written as powerful or competent just like they do with Storm being banished from the Hellfire Galas after the 1st one.. keep the powerful Black mutants gone.

Yay, Synch!

Favorite GenX-er ever since, well, the Phalanx Covenant. Glad he's getting some spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    This has been my main issue with him being ravaged by his recalling ability .. LIke when we came back it was noted that his powers were always on & looking to synch to mutants.. So when he went into the vault with both Laura and Darwin.. he was able to withstand that compressed time beause he was synching to Laura's and Darwin's abilities. So him being in close proximity to Logan should have served as a counter serve as a counterbalance to him being so ravaged..moreover A is an external and if he died while recalling him shouldn't he have some of the regeneration or resurrection tied into that. Like to me its just another ploy to sideline Ev so he doesn't have to be written as powerful or competent just like they do with Storm being banished from the Hellfire Galas after the 1st one.. keep the powerful Black mutants gone.
    Sounds about right.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Would Anna Marie's and Everett's powers cancel each other out or would they together create a Mutant Circuit more powerful than Ororo?
    why would they cancel each other out? They dont have the same powers. If Synch synched with Rogue, he'd gainher death touch and memory/personality absorption. His powers arent offensive on their own but Rogue's are. If Rogue touched Synch, she'd gain the ability to mimic powers from long range

The Wolverines cant make themselves get younger. They all age, just at a much slower rate bc of the healing factor. Like Talon's youth hasnt been restored now that she's out of the Vault. When Synch uses the recall power, that causes him to age faster. Having the healing factor of Talon cant and shouldnt reverse that. There is nothing to heal

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I'm good with the power recall but if they are going to go that route then they should just do it without the aging BS. If it gets rid of the aging I would definitely be cool with him only being able to Synch via proximity.
    Honestly, does it really matter? The only thing its done is cause him to grow a beard that one time when it was first introduced. The stakes that were placed in that issue never actually materializes until we saw him use it 10 years in an alternate future and died
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-16-2024 at 11:26 PM.

I think the real reason we don't see Synch's aura anymore is twofold:

1) the technology has been lost and/or the colorists are lazy/overworked/underpaid.

When he first appeared in the Phalanx Covenant, he didn't have any aura effect, he just exhibited others powers(such as bulking up from being around Sabretooth, or using Sean's scream). But when Generation X got their own book, Synch's aura was incredible. First as a specifically rainbow edged shape in the first few issues, before settling on the oil-slick prismatic look for most of the run.

In other books or in cards/etc, though, it could look much different(perhaps just a singular color), and towards the end of the run(perhaps as digital coloring techniques and/or programs changed), even when multicolored, it just didn't look as cool.

I think when Generation X first launched, Marvel really wanted it to succeed, so they put more effort into the coloring, but as the title progressed, the art budget went down a bit, and his aura suffered for it. Now that he's been brought back decades later, whatever program that original aura was made with probably no longer exists, or at least most modern colorists aren't interested in spending the time to make something equivalent(at least not panel after panel in a book, we have seen a few pin ups/covers that do it justice).

2) rainbows = LGBTQIA+ to the modern sensibility

Obviously the comparison could have been made even back in the 90's, but in the decades since the connection has become much stronger.

Personally, I love the oil slick/prismatic aura and would encourage modern colorists to figure it out. You can just have a sheet of it in your files and bring it in to fill the shape of whatever aura needs that coloring. Can't be that hard. And if it's that oil slick look, not a precise ROYGBIV type rainbow, it's not going to be an immediate connotation with a rainbow(and even if it lands that way for some people, it doesn't matter. Everett is totally straight but would totally be an ally, it's all good).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I think the real reason we don't see Synch's aura anymore is twofold:

1) the technology has been lost and/or the colorists are lazy/overworked/underpaid.
    I dont think so. Synch did have the rainbow aura in this era. It really stopped when he got the recall power bc he wasn't synching with other characters as much

Like they have an in universe explanation for this as this effect really became used less consistently after the 2022 Hellfire Gala where he'd often make references to the mutant who he'd be recalling. It was drawn/colored throughout Duggan's Year 1 team

Much to discuss after today's X-Men once the review thread is up (I'm unable to do it this week). In the meantime,

spoilers:
    I guess we'll find out how much Talon's physical presence slowed down Ev's aging now that she's "gone."
    end of spoilers
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    why would they cancel each other out? They dont have the same powers. If Synch synched with Rogue, he'd gainher death touch and memory/personality absorption. His powers arent offensive on their own but Rogue's are. If Rogue touched Synch, she'd gain the ability to mimic powers from long range

The Wolverines cant make themselves get younger. They all age, just at a much slower rate bc of the healing factor. Like Talon's youth hasnt been restored now that she's out of the Vault. When Synch uses the recall power, that causes him to age faster. Having the healing factor of Talon cant and shouldnt reverse that. There is nothing to heal

Honestly, does it really matter? The only thing its done is cause him to grow a beard that one time when it was first introduced. The stakes that were placed in that issue never actually materializes until we saw him use it 10 years in an alternate future and died
    IMO it matters because it was a completely unnecessary drawback when they didn't have to go with the power recall in the first place. They increased the scope of his powers and then immediately try to balance it out. It wouldn't kill the X-office to actually allow a black male mutant to be in the upper tier power wise. No one ever has a problem or consider it BS with Jean being a omega and wielding the phoenix force. So sure it could be said that the aging doesn't really matter but it should also be true that fans don't consider the power recall upgrade BS because that shouldn't matter either.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Much to discuss after today's X-Men once the review thread is up (I'm unable to do it this week). In the meantime,

spoilers:
    I guess we'll find out how much Talon's physical presence slowed down Ev's aging now that she's "gone."
    end of spoilers
    Not really sure how I feel about this to be honest. I truly don't care about that character but hate for Ev to have to deal with more heartaches and grief.