Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Extraordinary Member

But doesn’t all that defanging of Lobo ruin his character?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yes. It's quite the conundrum.

I think that people like Lobo mostly for his look and attitude. Genocide thing is just another bad joke in a series of bad jokes.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think that people like Lobo mostly for his look and attitude.
    I completely agree. It's why he still worked really well in Superman TAS (though he did kill all the other Czarnians in that, too).

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Genocide thing is just another bad joke in a series of bad jokes.
    A great joke in a series of great jokes*!

Lobo was a reflection of the times and his entire point was to be the most extreme and ludicrous thing imaginable (or at least printable). In an era of anti-heroes he was the most anti-heroic as he literally is worse than most of his enemies. It's conceptually hilarious.

I'm not trying to argue it's essential to the character, but it is funny.

Lobo doesn't work as a straight character, it has been tried and it fails. It's not his purpose. There is still space for a guy of ludicrous extremes that's just one big joke about comic books.

*some if it aged very poorly. It was written 25-30 years ago and I'm not advocating for the humour to be exactly the same.
    Last edited by exile001; 05-02-2024 at 05:31 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Of course should be reminded there is no clear indication that aspect of Lobo is going to be retconned yet.

Its currently speculation over how a live-action portrayal of him would be like.

Read the Special. Dug it a lot, very happy that Mark Russell picked up what PKJ established about A-Town and how that’s causing problems.

Seeing aliens walking around Metropolis does a lot to give Metropolis its own flavor which I have wanted forever. And I’m happy that Russell and Williamson are establishing that the xenophobia caused by Superman setting Warworld refugees in Metropolis hasn’t disappeared just because Clark was able to guilt trip a few Blue Earth members into helping him. Even after Norah’s fall, the Blue Earth movement is still around and hate remains.

Brainiac story was good too, Tibbs did sell out one city to Brainiac - she was trying to get rid of all those psycho Czarnians - but of course Brainiac stabbed her in the back. Lobo’s backstory is still perfectly intact I think. I’m curious what hole the Brainiac Queen is actually going to fill for Brainiac, and also this does set up his connection to Absolute Power.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I think if they do out of continuity Lobo stories they should lean into the extreme violence because that was the basis of Giffen’s joke. Lobo was a parody of the badass anti-heroes of the late 80s and 90s. So gutting everyone he talks to and killing everyone on his planet are just more punchlines. He formed a heavy metal band and killed the judges and audience at a battle of the bands. Lobo is so horrible that he was banned from both heaven and hell.

In stories like that the genocide of his planet as a result of Lobo’s high school science project is ridiculous and works perfectly with his insane world. But if Lobo is gonna appear regularly in Superman comics I think most of that needs to be toned down or left out.

Superman and any other superhero who allows Lobo to walk free, let alone team up with him, comes off as incredibly stupid and complete hypocrites.

I think the character would still work without the genodical maniac aspect and as just a hyoer violent comedic bounty hunter.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Read the Special. Dug it a lot, very happy that Mark Russell picked up what PKJ established about A-Town and how that’s causing problems.

Seeing aliens walking around Metropolis does a lot to give Metropolis its own flavor which I have wanted forever. And I’m happy that Russell and Williamson are establishing that the xenophobia caused by Superman setting Warworld refugees in Metropolis hasn’t disappeared just because Clark was able to guilt trip a few Blue Earth members into helping him. Even after Norah’s fall, the Blue Earth movement is still around and hate remains.

Brainiac story was good too, Tibbs did sell out one city to Brainiac - she was trying to get rid of all those psycho Czarnians - but of course Brainiac stabbed her in the back. Lobo’s backstory is still perfectly intact I think. I’m curious what hole the Brainiac Queen is actually going to fill for Brainiac, and also this does set up his connection to Absolute Power.
    Yeah this is both an interesting plot point and something that can give Metropolis some uniqueness. Metropolis is def at its best when it has its own character (and can even be considered as a character) whether it be the futuristic City of Tomorrow or something else. It’s at it best when it stands alone when compared to other cities in universe. And it should.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

A little too National City from Supergirl for my taste.

Superman finding a place for alien refugees and trying to work towards tolerance between alien races could definitely be seen as another act that inspired the Legion of Superheroes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't they do a similar story in the Arrowverse show Supergirl? If so, this seems a bit...unoriginal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was thinking more Astro City.
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Didn't they do a similar story in the Arrowverse show Supergirl? If so, this seems a bit...unoriginal.
    Doesn’t matter if they did imo. I doubt it was done very well given the CW, and this is superhero comics we’re talking about. There’s only so many stories you can tell with 85+ year old characters before you encounter stories that share similarities. The mutants trying to form their own nation happened before Hickman (and was acknowledged by him). Superman went to Warworld and fought as a gladiator before PKJ. But the execution and focus of the stories was different, and that meant they weren’t simple rehashes. Neither PKJ nor Russell were inspired by the Supergirl show, I can tell you that much. They just looked to what’s going on in our world right now and used allegory to explore and comment on it.
    Last edited by Vordan; Yesterday at 08:49 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/