Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

https://x.com/williamson_josh/status...487sLx_4UoiJsQ
    Superman and Lobo enter the HOUSE OF BRAINIAC this April in the pages of ACTION COMICS and SUPERMAN!

Stay tuned for @RafaSandoval75 art previews, plot details, and more to come this week!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Weird that Jon isn't even among the Superfam anymore after almost a decade of DC shoving him down everyone's throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Weird that Jon isn't even among the Superfam anymore after almost a decade of DC shoving him down everyone's throat.
    He’s Taylor’s toy now. Apparently the Dreamer series teases Jon will be involved in the Waller plot. I’m indifferent to it, whatever potential he had will never be achieved. Might as well spotlight the Supers who either are already popular (Kara & Kon) or the ones who are great but underrated/have serious potential (Kenan & Nat).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s Taylor’s toy now. Apparently the Dreamer series teases Jon will be involved in the Waller plot. I’m indifferent to it, whatever potential he had will never be achieved. Might as well spotlight the Supers who either are already popular (Kara & Kon) or the ones who are great but underrated/have serious potential (Kenan & Nat).
    Is Jon joining the Titans?

I noticed he has been gradually phase out the main Superman books since Dawn of DC.

Is Jon joining the Titans?

I noticed he has been gradually phase out the main Superman books since Dawn of DC.
    I’ll bet that either he or Val-Zod will join at some point. Taylor’s got the “main” team book right now, which is also just the NTT lineup. Adding a Super (specifically one that Taylor created/shaped himself) shakes the dynamics up and might draw more attention, plus it lets Taylor use the Titans to push his vision for the wider DCU. With Jon I think part of it is Kaminski was not a fan of what was done with Jon:

C6DC2B7D-5157-4AD6-9BF6-9AB16DC7D1BD.jpg

And thus doesn’t really care too much about the current incarnation, but probably doesn’t want to deage him. So they let Taylor lay claim to him and use him outside the Superbooks since nobody else wants him. Jon will show up in the Waid/Henry Action arc with the rest of the Superfamily, but he’s unlikely to be more than a cameo.

I’ll bet that either he or Val-Zod will join at some point. Taylor’s got the “main” team book right now, which is also just the NTT lineup. Adding a Super (specifically one that Taylor created/shaped himself) shakes the dynamics up and might draw more attention, plus it lets Taylor use the Titans to push his vision for the wider DCU. With Jon I think part of it is Kaminski was not a fan of what was done with Jon:

And thus doesn’t really care too much about the current incarnation, but probably doesn’t want to deage him. So they let Taylor lay claim to him and use him outside the Superbooks since nobody else wants him. Jon will show up in the Waid/Henry Action arc with the rest of the Superfamily, but he’s unlikely to be more than a cameo.
    I think there's probably a lot of dissatisfaction for 2018 Jon at DC. But no one will take the necessary steps to fix things...so the character is just stuck. Shame...

Probably, like the age up, decisions about de-aging him should come from higher than Kaminski.

Little or no Jon Kent gets me more excited about this arc

Taylor has pretty much said he isn't writing Jon anymore. Also that he doesn't really plan on adding anybody to Titans because he thinks the team is already too big. He did seemingly add Tempest, but he was already prominent in the first arc and that's still just a classic member (Roy is under Williamson's jurisdiction).

That being said, Kaminski you are credited as the editor of Son of Kal-El for most of its run and AoS:JK lol, couldn't you have done something about it? Unless he is specifically talking about Bendis here.
    Last edited by Leancarp900; 03-11-2024 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

I am just as joyed as anyone else that aged up Jon is around less and less, but I have a theory that this event is what will bring back Jon Kent (this is not the first time and probably won't be the last time I say this but I gotta huff that cope).

Jon's origin was in Convergence. The big bad of Convergence was Brainiac. In some form or another, and for some reason or another, he's been keeping Jon is stasis somewhere and Jon Kent being a kid again will be the big reveal or the lasting impact of this event.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Taylor has pretty much said he isn't writing Jon anymore. Also that he doesn't really plan on adding anybody to Titans because he thinks the team is already too big. He did seemingly add Tempest, but he was already prominent in the first arc and that's still just a classic member (Roy is under Williamson's jurisdiction).

That being said, Kaminski you are credited as the editor of Son of Kal-El for most of its run and AoS:JK lol, couldn't you have done something about it? Unless he is specifically talking about Bendis here.
    Huh guess Taylor isn't going to be writing the character majorly if he's openly missing him like that. So Jon seems left out everywhere then, my God did Didio and his 5G really screw up this character.

Also GLAAD Awards please don't give this comic any awards.

I'm sure there are plenty of better queer comics that doesn't end with the hero giving a hug to a fascist dictator.

A theory I have as to why it’s Kon and Kara and no Jon is that those two have much stronger connections to Brainiac and that’s why they’re being used here. Kara dates his descendant and knows him as the monster who stole Kandor. Conner fought him back during Johns Adventure Comics run, and if my suspicions are correct we might see that Luthor/Brainiac hybrid show up here at last.
    Probably, like the age up, decisions about de-aging him should come from higher than Kaminski.
    No one at DC will revert him back to being a kid, but no one at DC knows what to do with him as he is. So we’re left with a boring DC Pride poster boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post

I reckon he believes he and Taylor made the best of a bad situation. I honestly don’t know if Jon can be salvaged but Taylor not writing him anymore would be the best news the character has gotten in ages. I don’t think that tweet necessarily means Taylor isn’t writing him though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    At this point it’s better to banish him from sight.
    Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    I am just as joyed as anyone else that aged up Jon is around less and less, but I have a theory that this event is what will bring back Jon Kent (this is not the first time and probably won't be the last time I say this but I gotta huff that cope).

Jon's origin was in Convergence. The big bad of Convergence was Brainiac. In some form or another, and for some reason or another, he's been keeping Jon is stasis somewhere and Jon Kent being a kid again will be the big reveal or the lasting impact of this event.
    Edit: Let me preface this garazza by saying at this point I would give you kid Jon back and ship him off to Super Sons were it up to me, so thoroughly have I been disenchanted and disappointed with what they’ve done with this character. Especially if it was Tom King writing Super Sons like he’s talked about wanting to do (I reckon you would view that as a real monkey’s paw situation )

C’mon be serious. You think this event is about Jon? That they’re calling back to freaking Convergence? That the big event Williamson has built up to for over a year is a stealth launch for a new Super Sons title or something? DC does not care about him anymore, he’s not a priority. Jon will not be part of Gunn’s DCU, which means the new synergy focused DC under Jim Lee is not going to create an entire event, one built up over the course of Williamson’s run which has not featured Jon at all, in order to bring back kid Jon so he can go pal around with Damian again. That is flat out not happening. When DC wants to deage Jon, they’ll make a big deal about it, they’ll advertise it as the main attraction for the story. But they’re not doing that because Super Sons is not a priority for anyone. You think every single big event is a super secret plan to make Jon a kid again, and it never is, you’re just psyching yourself up for disappointment every time. I could understand it if DC would even tease the idea the way Marvel loves to tease Spidey fans about OMD, but DC isn’t doing that.

And if my theory is correct, Waid taking control of the DCU post Absolute Power while Snyder does Ultimate DC on the side is only going to push Jon further to the sidelines. The most likely way to get Jon back is if they kill his adult version off for a bit then resurrect him as a kid. I mean it worked for Bart. Again though: I don’t think Gunn is using Jon in the DCU, so no reason for DC to push him anymore.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-11-2024 at 08:17 PM.

Edit: Let me preface this garazza by saying at this point I would give you kid Jon back and ship him off to Super Sons were it up to me, so thoroughly have I been disenchanted and disappointed with what they’ve done with this character. Especially if it was Tom King writing Super Sons like he’s talked about wanting to do (I reckon you would view that as a real monkey’s paw situation )
    That would be quite the monkey's paw. But Tom King tends to get what he wants when he pushes for it so if he really wanted it then he'd probably get it.

C’mon be serious. You think this event is about Jon? That they’re calling back to freaking Convergence? That the big event Williamson has built up to for over a year is a stealth launch for a new Super Sons title or something? DC does not care about him anymore, he’s not a priority. Jon will not be part of Gunn’s DCU, which means the new synergy focused DC under Jim Lee is not going to create an entire event, one built up over the course of Williamson’s run which has not featured Jon at all, in order to bring back kid Jon so he can go pal around with Damian again. That is flat out not happening. When DC wants to deage Jon, they’ll make a big deal about it, they’ll advertise it as the main attraction for the story. But they’re not doing that because Super Sons is not a priority for anyone. You think every single big event is a super secret plan to make Jon a kid again, and it never is, you’re just psyching yourself up for disappointment every time. I could understand it if DC would even tease the idea the way Marvel loves to tease Spidey fans about OMD, but DC isn’t doing that.

And if my theory is correct, Waid taking control of the DCU post Absolute Power while Snyder does Ultimate DC on the side is only going to push Jon further to the sidelines. The most likely way to get Jon back is if they kill his adult version off for a bit then resurrect him as a kid. I mean it worked for Bart. Again though: I don’t think Gunn is using Jon in the DCU, so no reason for DC to push him anymore.
    I never said the event would be about Jon. I said that it would be an unexpected reveal that surprises everybody because no one would see it coming.

And while I do see that if DC really were to de-age Jon they would make a big deal of it, I don't think that's the case here. You said it yourself that Jon is not a priority anymore and so if that were the case, why would they waste time and resources making a big deal of something they've already given up on? Aged up Jon is very conspicuous with his absence when every other Super character that's been used recently is featured prominently, so it's not too big a stretch to think it's a misdirection on DC's part to not have readers think about Jon as the event kicks off only to have a reveal as it unfolds that Brainiac has had Jon captive for one reason or another. The return of Superboy will be as big a retcon as the return of Connor Hawke: small and unspectacular but nonetheless relevant to those that care.

And yes I'd think they would call back to Convergence. When was the last time Brainiac was relevant in any meaningful way if not Convergence? And what was the one thing that came out of Convergence that mattered? The creation of a child of Superman and Lois Lane. There's a connection there that I don't think I'm the only one that's noticed.

I'm not keeping up with the movie side of DC at all because I do not care in the slightest about the movies and what they're about so I don't know how true this event, or the wider DC comic universe for that matter, has been written to synergize with still yet to be made movies. And if Jon is as irrelevant as you claim, I don't think what does or does not happen in the movies will have any effect on what will happen to Jon in the comics.

On a different note, I hate how any expression from anyone for more Jon Kent is immediately conflated to mean more Super Sons, when if that were the case then Super Sons would be the thing specified. One of the most crucial things that was lost when Jon was aged up so soon after his creation was that he was never allowed the time to develop as his own independent and individual character. What results is the genuine desire for the unrealized potential of a character to finally be realized to always be misinterpreted as the selfish demands of fans to return to a mythologized past that was never as good as they claim.

I don't even want another Super Sons book (I already have two omnibuses on my shelf). What I want is a solo Superboy book.

It's much more fun to talk about Conner "freakin" kent,and all the badass and fun things he can do with spaceship full of brainiac robots and knockoff lobos to punch.

Let the tactile telekinesis out
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.