View Poll Results: Should They’ve Have Kept Norman Dead?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - They Should’ve.

45 56.96%
  • No - They Shouldn’t have. He’s too interesting to Remain Dead

28 35.44%
  • I’m Not Sure

6 7.59%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Another twist would be having Norman Osborn having turned out to be Gaunt which I think was an idea brought up in the Life of Ben Reilly. Or maybe having Harry Osborn turn out to be alive somehow and turning out to be behind the clone saga though maybe since they did something similar in Pursuit, they might have thought that was overkill.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    Not every Spider-Man story needs to have clones involved.
    I agree, but considering Norman came during the Clone Saga and was seen as a mastermind of that era, I think it gives writers an easy explanation if they wanted to retcon it later on down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I agree, but considering Norman came during the Clone Saga and was seen as a mastermind of that era, I think it gives writers an easy explanation if they wanted to retcon it later on down the line.
    Norman came to end the clone saga I don’t wanna it to restart again if this retcon happens
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I'm honestly fine with bringing Gwen back. So, I have no issue with Norman coming back.

So if I'm understanding right the basis behind wanting Norman to stay dead is:

- His death was iconic

- It gave an opportunity for other characters to step up in his absence while he remained a specter haunting the books

- Preference to other villains succeeding him

- Prefer death to have actual meaning

- Didn't enjoy how he's been used post-resurrection

BANNED

You're leaving out the "unfairness" of bringing him back, but not Gwen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by comictimes View Post
    You're leaving out the "unfairness" of bringing him back, but not Gwen.
    It's mostly because no one ever permanently replaced Norman's role as archenemy (in spite of guys like Harry and Kingsley having cult followings), while Gwen's role as the main love interest was completely successfully replaced (and eventually surpassed) by MJ.

After that, the only way Gwen could have came back was if you brought her back in a new role like with Red Hood and Winter Soldier. Like, if Felicia was never introduced, maybe you could've brought Gwen back as Black Cat and have her be the love interest that's completely disconnected from Peter's life. I guess that could have worked? It would even fit with the "one that got away" feelings that Black Cat eventually started having for Peter.

But they didn't do that. Plus Spider-Gwen now exists. She already is "Gwen in a new role". Which just further reduces any need to bring back the original Gwen.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-01-2024 at 11:37 AM.

No. Characters who weren't created to be killed off should not be killed off. Particularly good characters. But he shouldn't be a hero. That's weird. Not everyone needs to be redeemed. It leaves us with no good villains. As does killing them off.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Gwen's role as the main love interest was completely successfully replaced (and eventually surpassed) by MJ
    I suspect that a thread with that title would bring out disagreement.

Astonishing Member

I suspect that a thread with that title would bring out disagreement.
    We made those threads many, many times already.

Here is just one of them:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...nterest/page41

BANNED

29 out of 100 saying "someone other than MJ could be THE love interest" isn't "completely successfully replaced".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So if I'm understanding right the basis behind wanting Norman to stay dead is:

- His death was iconic

- It gave an opportunity for other characters to step up in his absence while he remained a specter haunting the books

- Preference to other villains succeeding him

- Prefer death to have actual meaning

- Didn't enjoy how he's been used post-resurrection
    You neglected the revolving door to the afterlife.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Astonishing Member

29 out of 100 saying "someone other than MJ could be THE love interest" isn't "completely successfully replaced".
    If the standard is 100 out of 100 people agreeing, then then there is no general consensus on anything period.

There will always be 1 person disagreeing about anything.

BANNED

I can keep this up all day, "general consensus" on replacing someone and "completely successfully replaced" aren't the same thing.

Astonishing Member

I can keep this up all day, "general consensus" on replacing someone and "completely successfully replaced" aren't the same thing.
    You don't think there is a general consensus in the fanbase that MJ is the main/best love interest?