Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It looks like becoming a PhD in Archaeology can be as little as 6 years (about 15 % of candidates) to about 9 years.
    All of this is levels of class instruction and related field work. I don't know those specifics but these curriculums are probably easily found.
    In most fields, one usually needs 'some' Bachelors, so about 4 normal years, a Masters which is 2 or less and then I'm not even sure about the actual Doctorate needs.

I think it is easy to see that Susan is probably much more intelligent than the average Marvel super character, male or female.
    So she could easily have finished this course work as that 15 % or better.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Who’s the Jean Grey looking person? I don’t remember any golden age superheroine that looks like that? Or is that Jean?
    I don't think the intent is all Golden Age. Isn't that probably Hela on the left?
    The woman behind Spitfire on the left looks like a possible Sersi (but I guess there is a theory about her in the GA?)
    Definitely want this too.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't have gone with archeology for her degree or even a doctorate. As the one actually running the FF inc business I would have had her with a MBA.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I wouldn't have gone with archeology for her degree or even a doctorate. As the one actually running the FF inc business I would have had her with a MBA.
    That was more out of necessity than anything else. Archaeology gives her both a career and hobby all in one, it shows her passion and is a great balance to Reed who always thinks about the futute.

It's also is a fun field that opens more stories for her in the Marvel universe. Something that buisiness wouldn't do for her.
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-27-2024 at 01:51 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    It looks like becoming a PhD in Archaeology can be as little as 6 years (about 15 % of candidates) to about 9 years.
    All of this is levels of class instruction and related field work. I don't know those specifics but these curriculums are probably easily found.
    In most fields, one usually needs 'some' Bachelors, so about 4 normal years, a Masters which is 2 or less and then I'm not even sure about the actual Doctorate needs.

I think it is easy to see that Susan is probably much more intelligent than the average Marvel super character, male or female.
    So she could easily have finished this course work as that 15 % or better.
    I guess she'd have completed this via something like the Open University? That's not an actual campus, it's online nowadays but used to teach via TV shows and textbooks - it's been around since the 1970s.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    That was more out of necessity than anything else. Archaeology gives her both a career and hobby all in one, it shows her passion and is a great balance to Reed who always thinks about the futute.

It's also is a fun field that opens more stories for her in the Marvel universe. Something that buisiness wouldn't do for her.
    I get that line of thinking. But I also have to ask...was there real thought put into it or was it just thrown out there because the degree was revealed in a dinosaur story??

I do see the benefit of her power on an archeology dig though...cuts down on the digging and finding nothing if she can slowly make layers of dirt invisible searching for things like bones, pottery, tools, etc...
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

I get that line of thinking. But I also have to ask...was there real thought put into it or was it just thrown out there because the degree was revealed in a dinosaur story??

I do see the benefit of her power on an archeology dig though...cuts down on the digging and finding nothing if she can slowly make layers of dirt invisible searching for things like bones, pottery, tools, etc...
    From a story/character angle, I'd hope it was a decision made with a lot of input from various parties. I like it because it's something that could be very useful at times. It's not something where she'd be whipping up something on every adventure. It's also a field that Reed doesn't have a background in and hopefully would acquiesce to her expertise. And yeah, dinosaurs and Ryan North are a pair.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    From a story/character angle, I'd hope it was a decision made with a lot of input from various parties. I like it because it's something that could be very useful at times. It's not something where she'd be whipping up something on every adventure. It's also a field that Reed doesn't have a background in and hopefully would acquiesce to her expertise. And yeah, dinosaurs and Ryan North are a pair.
    So with that thought in mind, I have imagined.
    Sue Storm ~ The Invisible Woman's Casebook

In this possible mini-series various FF adventures are re-envisioned and shows where Sue's expertise may have been used/useful.
    Example:

Sue would have had a bigger role in the discovery of Rama Tut's reign and "cure" for blindness. This story calls for an embellishment.
    Even with the caveat of Kang/Tut planting the information for Sue/others to find, knowing how it would draw them back to ancient Egypt.

Could Sue have had roles in (besides the obvious Atlantis possibles) the original Inhuman stories.
    The story where Crystal was hypnotised into being Ixchel, the Mayan Goddess..
    In fact, planet-side or off somewhere in the universe, a number of stories would fall into this category with possible never seen interaction.
    Any number of times when Sue might have learned something rather interesting when they were on Skrull or Kree worlds or captured by them, etc.
    But why let the Casebook deal with that.

Maybe new 'never revealed stories' where Sue's knowledge was crucial

Or stories within stories. Sue and Wolverine time traveled during the Age of Ultron thing. Maybe a side adventure in an ancient era?

Sue was locked inside Malice, while the latter was dominant. A story where Sue studies the "ruins" of Malice's mind to determine another strategy to defeat or eliminate her.
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    So with that thought in mind, I have imagined.
    Sue Storm ~ The Invisible Woman's Casebook

In this possible mini-series various FF adventures are re-envisioned and shows where Sue's expertise may have been used/useful.
    Example:

Sue would have had a bigger role in the discovery of Rama Tut's reign and "cure" for blindness. This story calls for an embellishment.
    Even with the caveat of Kang/Tut planting the information for Sue/others to find, knowing how it would draw them back to ancient Egypt.

Could Sue have had roles in (besides the obvious Atlantis possibles) the original Inhuman stories.
    The story where Crystal was hypnotised into being Ixchel, the Mayan Goddess..
    In fact, planet-side or off somewhere in the universe, a number of stories would fall into this category with possible never seen interaction.
    Any number of times when Sue might have learned something rather interesting when they were on Skrull or Kree worlds or captured by them, etc.
    But why let the Casebook deal with that.

Maybe new 'never revealed stories' where Sue's knowledge was crucial

Or stories within stories. Sue and Wolverine time traveled during the Age of Ultron thing. Maybe a side adventure in an ancient era?

Sue was locked inside Malice, while the latter was dominant. A story where Sue studies the "ruins" of Malice's mind to determine another strategy to defeat or eliminate her.
    Sue and the original Rama Tut story needs some annotations detailing a greater role for her there. No argument here. So much of Sue was tarnished by early sixties sexism and she needed a chance to shine there.

I'd also like seeing Sue having a more scientific detailed thought process. She's often been used an an emotional contrast to Reed's logic when she herself probably uses that more than we see. Plus, I've always thought of Sue as being extremely intelligent and logical as it wouldn't be easy to keep Reed's attention as a MILF alone.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I'm still wondering if we'll get the "Murder Most Invisible" follow up to her Deadpool team-up story...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Sue and the original Rama Tut story needs some annotations detailing a greater role for her there. No argument here. So much of Sue was tarnished by early sixties sexism and she needed a chance to shine there.

I'd also like seeing Sue having a more scientific detailed thought process. She's often been used an an emotional contrast to Reed's logic when she herself probably uses that more than we see. Plus, I've always thought of Sue as being extremely intelligent and logical as it wouldn't be easy to keep Reed's attention as a MILF alone.
    Well we were kids when we first started reading them, but at some point writers brought out the point (I'll say circa 1990 but it could have been up or down from there)

or inference - that Sue was obviously very intelligent compared to most of the general population. I get that.
    And why Reed would be attracted to someone lovely

but also closer than most other women would be to him intellectually.

Frankly this plays to the other members as well (also consider they were Marvel's version of Challengers/Unknown, a team of different expertise)

Johnny, like Sue was a surgeon's son, and privledged (sic) in certain ways. Even if he did not take advantage of education systems the same way his sister did, he came from an obvious smarter set of chromosomes. We don't even know what the mother's background was; but like Sue, maybe she gravitated towards a greater mind because she was pretty smart too. There's some story stuff here - Sue, and Johnny finding out more about this side.

Anyway, Ben too, went to an obvious superior college, however he got there, because he was smart enough etc.

Like his adaptation to his appearance at one point, he probably downplayed his natural smarts until it became more of his personality.

Refer to Sue possibly thinking of Ben before the flight in an attractive way. Smarts know smarts!
    ~ Oberon ~

I think thought was put on it otherwise we wouldn't be getting a story about her on an archaeological adventure next week. Her having a doctorate was introduced in Fractions run 10 years ago, and no field was ever given. That is what I call not thought out or cared about.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still wondering if we'll get the "Murder Most Invisible" follow up to her Deadpool team-up story...
    I really hope so. It was an unexpected pairing that worked suprisingly well. With Krakoa ending, I could see Duggan returning to the story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I think thought was put on it otherwise we wouldn't be getting a story about her on an archaeological adventure next week. Her having a doctorate was introduced in Fractions run 10 years ago, and no field was ever given. That is what I call not thought out or cared about.
    What I mean by putting thought into it was did he look back at her history and find any justifications for it...or did he just choose it because it fit the stories he wanted to tell with the dinosaurs dimension and the archeological story.

What I mean by putting thought into it was did he look back at her history and find any justifications for it...or did he just choose it because it fit the stories he wanted to tell with the dinosaurs dimension and the archeological story.
    Only he could answer that. There are things that could be used as justification, but only he really knows why he chose that field. All I know is that it’s a fun new status quo that provides many new opportunities for Sue both in and out of her team.