Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

[QUOTE=the illustrious mr. kenway;6708062]https://www.deviantart.com/onecoyote...ignnightingale.

Someone on Deviantart rebooted Dick as the Human Target. Dick's days at Spyral resonated with me more than Nightwing. So next reboot, I hope something like this happens.[/QU

Interesting , I really liked Dick's time at Spyral too . Only Bruce knew that Dick was undercover and it was cool .
    Dick as the Human Target would be cool too , but actually Nightwing is doing really good .
    Lately I've seen Batman in the Greg Cappullo Batsuit and I think it looks really good .

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    https://www.deviantart.com/onecoyote...ignnightingale.

Someone on Deviantart rebooted Dick as the Human Target. Dick's days at Spyral resonated with me more than Nightwing. So next reboot, I hope something like this happens.
    Interesting , I really liked Dick's time at Spyral too . Only Bruce knew that Dick was undercover and it was cool .
    Dick as the Human Target would be cool too , but actually Nightwing is doing really good .
    Lately I've seen Batman in the Greg Cappullo Batsuit and I think it looks really good .
    I like Dick as a character but I prefer the other Robins more. His time as Nightwing is fine conceptually but I need a more ambitious pitch than just moving to a new city as that's a basic superhero story to tell.

Granted Jason or Jace Fox in Hub City would be pretty cool. I think I'm more drawn to the tragic/flawed heroes more. Dick works better in an ensemble.

Ironically Dick staying at Spyral could've helped the much aligned amnesia subplot that came after. He could've forgot that his cover was fake and really believed he defected to Spyral. It's a way for them to have their cake and eat it.

In hindsight, Jace would've been better as The Question than Batman. The Question under O'Neil felt more street level and Ridley's run felt like a good fit. Jace's time in NY had another character called Nobody that looked like a Question analogue. So having Jace be Nobody than Batman feels like a better fit. Ridley's run on Jace felt meandering and half baked so Jace as Nobody could've solved a few of those problems.

Ronin would also work if Marvel hadn't popularized it. Give him a plain clothes look like his brother in Outsiders. I feel like Jace would've made fun of superheroes when he was growing up. A traditional spandex look doesn't suit him.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-26-2024 at 02:08 AM.

https://ibb.co/GnP9nn0

I'm fine with using the YJ League design for Red Hood.
    I don't like this design at all. The other designs are instantly recognizable as Red Hood - this just looks like some guy in a red hoody to me. It's too generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I'd like to see her in any costume.Attachment 137272

Attachment 137273
    Bette has both a great costume and mantle (Flamebird is a cool name, Hawkfire isn't bad either) - Tim should be envious. The issue is that DC refuses to actually make use of her!

Bluebird

I'm fine with Duke's look, he just needs a better call sign than Signal.

Tim needs a new identity/story. It's more than just a simple outfit.
    Maybe Lark for Duke, since a future flash story showed that there'd be a hero named Lark?

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Maybe Lark for Duke, since a future flash story showed that there'd be a hero named Lark?
    I wonder why Snyder dropped that aspect.

Edit- Lark would work better if Duke had sound based powers like Mal Duncan or Dinah. Or a bit younger as Lark are defined as mischievous. It fits a cheeky 10-12 year old.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-25-2024 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Bette has both a great costume and mantle (Flamebird is a cool name, Hawkfire isn't bad either) - Tim should be envious. The issue is that DC refuses to actually make use of her!
    Once upon a time
    timbette.jpg
    (actually an alternate Titans future, but Tim and Bette on close terms.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I don't like this design at all. The other designs are instantly recognizable as Red Hood - this just looks like some guy in a red hoody to me. It's too generic.

They went to literal with the Flame part of the name.

This is perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

This is perfect
    Hm, this looks a bit too Captain Marvel-ish for my taste. But it's okay. I prefer the goggles and the 'V' shape on her chest in the original though.

There is definitely untapped potential with this character though. Maybe they could bring Bette back once Outsiders is done (12 issue limited series), since there might be plans to do something else with Kate by then. She's closest to Kate in modern continuity, so I don't see her teaming-up with anyone else yet.

But returning to the untapped potential - this character seems desperate for approval, and I'd like to know why. There is definitely something going on with her family situation - like the only time her mother is ever mentioned was when she was finalising to have Bette's organs donated (when she was comatose), and her parents didn't come to visit so Jacob looked after her during and after her hospital stay. She also looks up to Kate more like a big sister than an older cousin IMHO. What I'm saying is - there is already some depth to the character despite so few appearances. She isn't boring IMHO.

Hm, this looks a bit too Captain Marvel-ish for my taste. But it's okay. I prefer the goggles and the 'V' shape on her chest in the original though.

There is definitely untapped potential with this character though. Maybe they could bring Bette back once Outsiders is done (12 issue limited series), since there might be plans to do something else with Kate by then. She's closest to Kate in modern continuity, so I don't see her teaming-up with anyone else yet.

But returning to the untapped potential - this character seems desperate for approval, and I'd like to know why. There is definitely something going on with her family situation - like the only time her mother is ever mentioned was when she was finalising to have Bette's organs donated (when she was comatose), and her parents didn't come to visit so Jacob looked after her during and after her hospital stay. She also looks up to Kate more like a big sister than an older cousin IMHO. What I'm saying is - there is already some depth to the character despite so few appearances. She isn't boring IMHO.
    What part looks Captain Marvel-ish?

This is perfect
    What part looks Captain Marvel-ish?
    The shoulders and chest piece. Anyway, it looks too complex IMHO.

Im not seeing the comparison but sure...

Has anybody ever -- and I mean EVER -- introduced into a story Bob Kane's original, red-leotard-and-bat-wings design for Batman's costume?

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Has anybody ever -- and I mean EVER -- introduced into a story Bob Kane's original, red-leotard-and-bat-wings design for Batman's costume?
    I Googled it after you post. Do you wanna redo it?

Im not seeing the comparison but sure...
    It's the insignia. Both uniforms have an insignia that looks Bird like.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-28-2024 at 10:24 AM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I agree that the Flamebird redesign is a bit busy, but I'm not seeing the comparison to Captain Marvel either. Her design is more starburst with rays than bird like.

I do wish someone would take an actual interest in Bette Kane as Flamebird and make her a serious hero while still keeping her light hearted demeanor. Her costume doesn't necessarily need updating as the update she got in the Beast Boy mini series was (pardon the pun) fire. The Hawkfire episode...not so much. Bette is a flamboyant, vibrant character and almost all black is just not her style.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Duke Thomas/The Signal
    while I have gotten used to it over time, I've been saying for years that his design is too bat-centric for a hero that has nothing to do with Bats outside of his mentor. had it just been the one bat on his chest and maybe MAYBE the ears i'd be fine but for him to have the ears, the bat on his face, bat wings on his back, bat on the chest, bat wings on his weapon and even bats on his toes? they dragged it. the only thing that speaks to Duke's character is the suit color and the reflective aspect of his insignia (which isn't always obvious). plus his overall design is a little too busy and lowkey clunky. a good design should be easy for anyone to draw consistently, the Signal design has too many little unnecessary details that get forgotten or misinterpreted from artist to artist. personally I feel his Future State design was a great update on his design, it scaled back the excessive bats and made it more streamlined. if they don't go with that then they need to overhaul all the bats motifs and give Duke his own symbol. something to do with light, or the sun, or day & night, something that speaks to Duke's character not just his batman affiliation. everyone knows he's Batman affiliated, he doesn't need to be an ad for his brand too.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."