Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men 30: Spoiler and Review.

I didn’t see any thread about this so I’m making one. Just not a lengthy spoiler.

It starts as all comics those with Scott and Jean having sex. 3 pages of it illustrated by Phil Noto. No kidding about this, I had to check that I was reading the right comic.

We then learn it was a dream Scott had he is telling it to a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist who seems to be appointed to make an evaluation before the trial. She goes textbook on Scott and if she suspects the true nature of his dream she keeps it to herself when Stasis greets her outside of Scott’s cell. He reminds her that she a mutant in her family she would hate it he outed.

We get a recap of Hickmans the vault story about Synch and Talon. We then go to the present where the they are discussing the hacked drugs with Spider-man and Gold Goblin and Stark. Synch and Talon decide that they will go after the High Evolutionary so they can get a means to distribute their kill switch.

We get a page where Stark stealths up next to Firestar. He wants her to do one more thing and get out. That usually works so well in stories…

Synch and Talon arrive to counter wrath. The fight some ani-men and then they join up with some others. Then they arrive to the High Evolutionary’s fortress and he doesn’t want to help them. He owes them nothing. His daughter Luminous wants to fight them for it and Synch then Karma-attacks her and has her cowering in pain. Something her daddy doesn’t approve of. Neither did he agree with her daughters proposal so now Synch and Talon decide they will take him on for the system.

Firestar plants the false information that the mutants will launch their attack through Australia, the Outback.

Synch then delivers the system, a sphere, to Stark. He says that they fought the HE and won but doubts are a plenty about his frazzled behaviour and appearance. Kamala finds him talking to no one when he believes he is talking to Talon.

We get a flashback where the HE killed Talon and Synch managed to download her mind before she died. He looks into a mirror, seeing both of their faces, while he says he will find a way to bring her back.

Review: Haha, good one Duggan. The criticism about Hickmans story was that Laura was just a prop to Synchs story and he doubles the ante. Talon now only exists as a part of Synch. Good one Duggan.

The rest of the story was transportation and set up for other issues.

Noto’s art is good but the whole issue is decompressed and offers few panels. A quick read..
    Last edited by Malachi; 01-17-2024 at 11:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Missed opportunity to have Greg Land on an issue.

This was so boring, and while I was prematurely ready to completely rip Duggan a new one for seemingly having H.E. job to the heroes, I give Duggan props for that twist.

Now, is anyone else still speculating that Talon is a CotV plant and wondering what that means for Synch now?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Missed opportunity to have Greg Land on an issue.

This was so boring, and while I was prematurely ready to completely rip Duggan a new one for seemingly having H.E. job to the heroes, I give Duggan props for that twist.

Now, is anyone else still speculating that Talon is a CotV plant and wondering what that means for Synch now?
    It was ludicrous of them to take him on alone like that. HE has varied over the years but even Synch, powerful as he is now, is no match for him. He’s near god level.

I enjoyed the issue actually. Again Noto enhances Duggan's work. There are some great moments but some sloppy writing as well.

I don't like that Emma wasn't included in the Morlock tunnel scene. And I don't like that Iron Man (in an X-Men) book is the point person for Firestar. That would have been a great way to rebuild trust between Emma and Firestar.

I surprisingly liked the intro with Cyclops.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

This was so rushed and I did not like this issue. Everything came off like an after thought.

I enjoyed it. Was great to see Firestar. Can't wait til next issue!
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I honestly can't point to a single thing that I liked about the issue but will keep reading to see how things turn out for Synch.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Bold of Duggan to put this out when there's barely any other X-books out.
    "Cable was right!"

Have some thoughts after this issue

1. Love noto as a cover artist but there are many better artists for interior art. His art seems so emotionless and lack of dynamic. Maybe it’s just me because I love iron man art right now
    2. It’s another (after fall of hox #1) time when we have scott describing his dream (another dream with jean showing up) and again scott says it’s not a dream because it’s real. I’m really curious about dream sequence and where it will lead. Also it’s another time when scott says jean isn’t dead but she’s just absent. In one of previous xmen issue stasis mentioned scott was talking to his dead wife but he thinks scott is just crazy.
    3.synch/talon part which is supposed to be the main plot of the issue was weak af. So rushed. I assume synch must keep using Jean’s powers (so from memory) to keep talon’s mind. He already looks old so he will probably have to stop and talon will make him to let her go
    4.Also I’m confused about the timeline and when the issue takes place. Definitely it takes place before xmen left to meet doom’s xmen.
    Last edited by Braxxer; 01-17-2024 at 11:46 AM.

This is the first of the January issues that I didn't really like. Maybe I'm crazy but the timing regarding Scott's trial seems wonky. He's getting evaluated to see if he's fit for trial but we saw the trial in FotHoX, right? His conviction set off the war so I'm not sure where this series is set in the timeline of overall events.
    The Firestar part was covered more thoroughly in this week's Iron Man so I don't know if we'll see anymore of that in this book.

The Synch and Talon situation I find the most interesting so we'll see where that goes. As I mentioned in the Synch appreciation thread I hope it's not dragged out for months and we get a solution soon.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

So given that they’ve had Synch download Talon’s mind into his head, how much you want to bet that they bring up a mind merge with young Laura as a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    So given that they’ve had Synch download Talon’s mind into his head, how much you want to bet that they bring up a mind merge with young Laura as a solution?
    The Duplicate will go off mind. Then they put Talon there (?) (Maybe)

Duggan having Synch go to Laura to keep Talon alive would look stupid after he gave us that girl boss argument about living as separate people. Hopefully Duggan just lets her go.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Duggan having Synch go to Laura to keep Talon alive would look stupid after he gave us that girl boss argument about living as separate people. Hopefully Duggan just lets her go.
    Maybe the Five will get a Pass to get Talon "Back"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Maybe the Five will get a Pass to get Talon "Back"
    Is the Resurrection Engine even coming back after Fall of X?

lol
    "Cable was right!"