Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I don't understand how conservative X-men fans are a thing lol
    They're ubermacht's with fantastic powers, and collectively massive resources; to which any and all attempts to regulate or constrain said power will always be framed as done in bad faith, and an act of oppression.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Yeah. Feint was called Gimmick (I don't remember Buddy's hero name XD) at the time but she took the name Feint in Dark X-men.
    Buddy's codename is Cyclops-Lass.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Beatr...ew_(Earth-616)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    They're ubermacht's with fantastic powers, and collectively massive resources; to which any and all attempts to regulate or constrain said power will always be framed as done in bad faith, and an act of oppression.
    That sadly and unfortunately tracks. A lot of superhero genre "fans" are more into it for the power fantasy than whatever actual moral lessons are being (or attempting to be) imparted by the works in question.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Sure, but what do the parts of pages that have words on them say? Do they just pretend the words aren't there? lmao

I love when people try to gatekeep certain topics and everyone that doesn't share their beliefs shouldn't be consuming X-men or, if they do, they probably "don't understand what it stands for". Minority politics always trying to put people in boxes and prioritizing group thinking. The main theme has always been respecting differences and living with them (and powers, duh), and that's what the average person should do, which doesn't mean agreeing to what everybody is doing.

So many times I've heard that I, as a black latino (brazilian) guy, should subscribe to a specific set of ideas and how dare I think differently, otherwise I'm going against "my people". It baffles me that someone is straight out displaying their disgust against a type of sexuality for no reason and no one called them out on this, so much for equality. I guess it's the same type of people who would think a black person is entitled to be racist towards a white one, after all, "it's not really racism because of power balance". They think they're respectful and full of love, yet the first ones to display hate. lol

I could go on, but it's a waste of time talking about this here, plus it's deviating from the main topic even more.
    Last edited by Psych1c; 01-22-2024 at 11:54 PM.

BANNED

^Even if someone actually is against the idea of people being straight (performative nonsense), there still aren't people actually calling for outlawing straight people.

Instantly deflated. Oop.

William Stryker-a** post lol
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 01-23-2024 at 12:20 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psych1c View Post

So many times I've heard that I, as a black latino (brazilian) guy, should subscribe to a specific set of ideas and how dare I think differently, otherwise I'm going against "my people". It baffles me that someone is straight out displaying their disgust against a type of sexuality for no reason and no one called them out on this, so much for equality. I guess it's the same type of people who would think a black person is entitled to be racist towards a white one, after all, "it's not really racism because of power balance". They think they're respectful and full of love, yet the first ones to display hate. lol
    Nothing wrong with thinking differently. This is what influences the X-men books.(And Power Rangers) I'm completely neutral to others sexuality, but what is up with some LGBT Laura fans harassing a Synch fan like myself over this one time couple? I know not everybody on board with them as an item and it's suppose to be one of the plotholes being dealt with here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherflash View Post
    Nothing wrong with thinking differently. This is what influences the X-men books.(And Power Rangers) I'm completely neutral to others sexuality, but what is up with some LGBT Laura fans harassing a Synch fan like myself over this one time couple? I know not everybody on board with them as an item and it's suppose to be one of the plotholes being dealt with here.
    What woman are people pairing Laura with? I haven't seen it actually. If it makes sense, why not? People will have their favorite couples and it's fine, as long as they don't behave like some bigots in the topic did.

About the William Stryker comparison: the things people will do to justify their behavior, always an excuse. Comparing my comment to a character like that is a reach and also a projection. I get it, by calling somebody else a "bad name"/buzzword you try to dismiss and silence them. Maybe your friends will upvote you to make you feel as though you won the argument? Meh.

Also, I've seen the same user going around complaining about everything when it comes to Jean. She could be Phoenix again, become the strongest comicbook character ever and they'd still complain about her being diminished and blame Scott while they're at it. Some people just live for the drama and blaming, never satisfied.

I love when people try to gatekeep certain topics and everyone that doesn't share their beliefs shouldn't be consuming X-men or, if they do, they probably "don't understand what it stands for". Minority politics always trying to put people in boxes and prioritizing group thinking. The main theme has always been respecting differences and living with them (and powers, duh), and that's what the average person should do, which doesn't mean agreeing to what everybody is doing.

I could go on, but it's a waste of time talking about this here, plus it's deviating from the main topic even more.
    I think discussing why certain people view some relationships as sexualizing on a thread about an issue talking about minorities being oppressed in various ways, notably via media and showing a very sexual scene (but conventionally straight) for SEVERAL pages is actually not deviating.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I think discussing why certain people view some relationships as sexualizing on a thread about an issue talking about minorities being oppressed in various ways, notably via media and showing a very sexual scene (but conventionally straight) for SEVERAL pages is actually not deviating.
    I actually meant I was deviating from the main topic.

It's not that it's not believable that two people would fall in love when trapped together for centuries and they're the only conventionally attractive partner available, it's that it's not compelling.
    Any meaningful development happens off panel (i.e. is skipped), the audience is denied the relationship arc to become invested in, and are left with this thing you're expected to care about while having been given absolutely no reason to.
    These type of time dilation stories will always be unsatisfying for you then cause they’re literally no way for them to show you every single moment of that romance that covers how many years. I disagree that every meaningful panel takes place off panel too, with Synch and Laura over the course of years you got to see them move from partners to friends to relied on each other to essentially needing the other to survive. I don’t see that would need to six issues to properly show that. To each their own I guess.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    These type of time dilation stories will always be unsatisfying for you then cause they’re literally no way for them to show you every single moment of that romance that covers how many years. I disagree that every meaningful panel takes place off panel too, with Synch and Laura over the course of years you got to see them move from partners to friends to relied on each other to essentially needing the other to survive. I don’t see that would need to six issues to properly show that. To each their own I guess.
    Then Duggan could have actually done something when they reunited. Instead he continued to do the same thing just telling everyone they were a couple and everything he wanted them to be doing now he just said "yo, they were in the vault of a million years". There was never enough done for anyone to buy into their relationship. Duggan's whole X-Men run has been like that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    It's not that a whole novel needs to be written for character/relationship development; it is that what we are given (5-6 pages, across Duggan's 30 issues and counting run) are poorly written for actual development.

I always point to Ewing's X-men Red as a counterpoint in good writing of character/relationship developments. In only 18 issues, I care about Fisher King, Khora, Ironfire. Sunspot and Nova's friendship feels lived in. In only a few panels across 7 issues, Ironfire/White Sword's relationship feels more developed than Synch/Talon's whole thing. Heck, even Storm's meet cute with Craig Marshall and an interrupted first date, in a few pages across 2 issues, feels more developed than Synch/Talon's supposedly enduring love.

The rub of it is that (outside of Ironfire/White Sword), Ewing's plot and major development do not revolve around these relationships. In contrast, Duggan's plot and major developments revolve around Synch/Talon's relationship as a core storytelling pillar.

Every development by Duggan feels like a montage, which presupposes that the reader has already preloaded the off panel development. The time dilation page shows them sitting far away, sitting close together, then two panels showing them embracing and kissing. The narration is doing all the heavy lifting here, telling us that they have finally fallen in love after ~500 years. We have no sense of their relationship outside of being told that they love each other and being shown that they kiss. Do they tease each other? Is one of them embarassed by PDA? They do banter during the confrontation with High Evolutionary, but that is the same type of bantering that Wolverine and Nightcrawler do on the daily.

Even in the end, there is something odd about Talon asking 'Everett' how they escaped. It is just so formal for your lover that you've spent 500+ years side by side with. Why not throw in a pet nickname in there, Duggan? Start by having her call him 'Evie', and then when we get to the serious part of revealing that she's trapped in his head, have her go formal and call him Everett.

There is no character-centered development to their relationship; instead it is just plot related (and "logic-related", because of course two attractive people would fall in love after 500 years together). Ultimately, that is why it feels so hollow even as Duggan is trying to make it a thing.
    Last edited by lefthanded; 01-23-2024 at 08:11 AM.

BANNED

What woman are people pairing Laura with? I haven't seen it actually. If it makes sense, why not? People will have their favorite couples and it's fine, as long as they don't behave like some bigots in the topic did.

About the William Stryker comparison: the things people will do to justify their behavior, always an excuse. Comparing my comment to a character like that is a reach and also a projection. I get it, by calling somebody else a "bad name"/buzzword you try to dismiss and silence them. Maybe your friends will upvote you to make you feel as though you won the argument? Meh.

Also, I've seen the same user going around complaining about everything when it comes to Jean. She could be Phoenix again, become the strongest comicbook character ever and they'd still complain about her being diminished and blame Scott while they're at it. Some people just live for the drama and blaming, never satisfied.
    *You are trying to justify *your behavior.

"It's cool that I said something disrespectful about the idea of poly because this other poster said something negative about straight people after I was negative to poly people and I'm black and Brazilian"

Something different scared you and you couldn't keep it to yourself.

Poor Jean takes are also a bad sign.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    *You are trying to justify *your behavior.

"It's cool that I said something disrespectful about the idea of poly because this other poster said something negative about straight people after I was negative to poly people and I'm black and Brazilian"

Something different scared you and you couldn't keep it to yourself.

Poor Jean takes are also a bad sign.
    Okay, the other user was also wrong because they started being negative about straight people, unprovoked, over a fictional relationship.
    "Cable was right!"