Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Honestly between the art style and the lackluster story i just want this to end and move on to the next thing.

About the only thing i can say i did like was them losing to the High Evolutionary, the previous encounter left me soured on how they were going about the bad guys they faced off against.

I wished to have seen the actual fight but at least they didn't pull a magical Mcguffin and got the bomb with no consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Yeah the whole setup is contrived.

Synch/Talon think they’re enough to take on HE?
    Maybe if Duggan had put in the work to show some of the powerful foes they faced in the Vault that would give them the overconfidence to take on HE. But no, instead the opposite is shown, where they both barely survive.

Also, just believing that HE would let them take the device, is so dumb. Synch is acting like he can get a free birthday cake whenever he wants just cause he said no when it was offered to him last time it was his birthday.
    Technically, only Synch survived, Talon is just a passenger or ghost along for the ride until someone decides to do something with her or they kill Synch as well.

This issue really was an example of exposition run amok. I did find it interesting the issue ended as a mirror / parallel to the beginning. Scott with Jean in his head. Synch with Talon in his head.

Other than that - is it just me or did Synch get "Karma" wrong? It looks like the power he used when he manifested Luminous' greatest fear was Mirage / Dani's. Weird.
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 01-17-2024 at 06:50 PM.

Agreed. This was a speed run of an issue, to address how things get into place for Fall of House of X.

What is ridiculous is that Duggan (along with Gillen) is involved with the development of the event. It's not like he is just some writer whose story is being disrupted by needing to be an event tie-in. He is in charge of pacing and developing the event.

He could have developed any of these ideas in X-men #25 to #30. Heck, he should have developed Synch/Talon relationship more even further back, instead of wasting time trying to genocide the Brood.

The page where it tells us how they fell in love, falls into the same problem that Wells' Spider-man run ran into - having characters fall into hetero romance/love just because they are the only two opposite gendered individuals surviving an accelerated timeline, does not feel like real romance/love. You can bet that if Cyclops and Wolverine were trapped in the Vault for thousands of years, fighting side by side, that they would not automatically pair into lovers (no matter how much -shippers and Hickman-throuples would want). In fact, people would immediately dismiss that as bad writing.
    I find it completely believable that two people trapped together, having to depend on just that other person for YEARS would develop feelings for each other. People who just share an office can develop feelings, ramp that to the extreme, add adrenaline, hormones and negative body fat physiques and you’ve got a romance.

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    This issue really was an example of exposition run amok. I did find it interesting the issue ended as a mirror / parallel to the beginning. Scott with Jean in his head. Synch with Talon in his head.

Other than that - is it just me or did Synch get "Karma" wrong? It looks like the power he used when he manifested Luminous' greatest fear was Mirage / Dani's. Weird.
    Karma's main power is possessions but she is also a telepath....with varying abilities. So I can go with it.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

Agreed. This was a speed run of an issue, to address how things get into place for Fall of House of X.

What is ridiculous is that Duggan (along with Gillen) is involved with the development of the event. It's not like he is just some writer whose story is being disrupted by needing to be an event tie-in. He is in charge of pacing and developing the event.

He could have developed any of these ideas in X-men #25 to #30. Heck, he should have developed Synch/Talon relationship more even further back, instead of wasting time trying to genocide the Brood.

The page where it tells us how they fell in love, falls into the same problem that Wells' Spider-man run ran into - having characters fall into hetero romance/love just because they are the only two opposite gendered individuals surviving an accelerated timeline, does not feel like real romance/love. You can bet that if Cyclops and Wolverine were trapped in the Vault for thousands of years, fighting side by side, that they would not automatically pair into lovers (no matter how much -shippers and Hickman-throuples would want). In fact, people would immediately dismiss that as bad writing.
    That's because Wolverine and Cyclops aren't gay, and even then...two dudes trapped alone as the only humans for thousands of years...you might be too young to have really heard of prison.

Two presumably physically attractive people who would go for members of each other's sex under normal circumstances would be HIGHLY likely to take it there even if they hated each other when there are literally no other options. I'm not saying Duggan's writing is good, but the handwringing that "X-23 would NEVER" is unrealistic, to say the least.

I was thinking the same thing. That was not Karma's power as we know it. We know she possesses people. I should've saved my money and watched Blerd Without Fear of Comics Explained on YouTube.
    Mutant and Proud!

I have a feeling that in a few year we will hear about all the editorial interference regarding the end of Krakoa.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Honestly between the art style and the lackluster story i just want this to end and move on to the next thing.

About the only thing i can say i did like was them losing to the High Evolutionary, the previous encounter left me soured on how they were going about the bad guys they faced off against.

I wished to have seen the actual fight but at least they didn't pull a magical Mcguffin and got the bomb with no consequence.
    Agree with all of this. Exactly how I felt reading it.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Yeah, thinking Duggan’s understanding of Karma’s power is “move the plot to the next page, whatevs”.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Wasn't she doing stuff in the Unlimited digital books?
    Yeah but she didn't revealed the gala tapes to the public in that. I thought Duggan was keeping it for the main series but it appears not. Although maybe he wants to use it in Fall ? The timing seems a bit wobbly.

unpopular opinion: I think they went to far with Synch powers. He used to be able to copy powers of mutants near. Now he has basically the powerset of all mutants. He used Karma and Jean that wasn´t even around.

That does have a cost, namely casting from lifespan. He only survived the Vault due to Laura's healing factor. Without an innate one of his own, every usage of a non-local power ages him.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Yeah Spidey has been in Bobby's, Kurt's, and Logan's books so he's aware of what's going on. I didn't know who Gold Goblin was. LOL
    Kamala had previously gone to Peter so he could tell her how she died. She told him she was now with the X-Men. Peter presumably went to Norman with a good news and bad news thing. The good news is, the X-men resurrected her. The bad news is, she joined the team, so she isn't coming back to Oscorp. Peter and Norman also both found out Kamala's secret identity as she unmasked while dying. She found out Peter's at the same time but forgot, but he let her in on the secret as part of the death explanation. Kamala found the Gold Goblin suit, so she knew about Norman being a superhero too (she knew about his old Green Goblin supervillain identity before she joined Oscorp, she worked there to spy on him, not knowing Spider-Man was already there). That'll be why Norman is helping the X-Men, he wants to help his former intern - and prove to her that he's a hero now, not a villain.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-18-2024 at 05:52 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Hephoenix View Post
    unpopular opinion: I think they went to far with Synch powers. He used to be able to copy powers of mutants near. Now he has basically the powerset of all mutants. He used Karma and Jean that wasn´t even around.
    The resurrection power ups in general were really bad. Hopefully after Krakoa they're just ignored. We have a bunch of characters who don't get used, no need to give power ups to other characters to make them even less relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That does have a cost, namely casting from lifespan. He only survived the Vault due to Laura's healing factor. Without an innate one of his own, every usage of a non-local power ages him.
    a healing factor wouldnt counter that as he already has access to Laura. All the Wolverines age , just at a much slower rate and they cant reverse that and make themselves younger. (Talon's youth wasnt restored when she escaped the Vault) Having a healing factor wouldnt matter as this isnt an injury so there is nothing for the body to heal