Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

In this era of ever increasing power levels and everyone wanting their fave character to be an omega why do some people have a problem with how powerful Synch is?

When you have already uber powerful omegas like Jean having access to the Phoenix to further boost her power or Storm having magical potential to add to her already formidable power. Or the fact that fans of already powerful non-omegas like Rouge, Polaris, Dazzler and others want them elevated to omega status.

But somehow Ev is to powerful, he has to be nerfed or limited in power but everyone else can be made more powerful? Seems weird to me that he should be singled out. Oh well him and Wolverine, because everyone seems to want his healing factor downgraded. Synch is perfectly fine with his current powerset and power levels. And if others can be uber powerful then so can Ev.

Giys I get the feeling that Scott loves his wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    In this era of ever increasing power levels and everyone wanting their fave character to be an omega why do some people have a problem with how powerful Synch is?

When you have already uber powerful omegas like Jean having access to the Phoenix to further boost her power or Storm having magical potential to add to her already formidable power. Or the fact that fans of already powerful non-omegas like Rouge, Polaris, Dazzler and others want them elevated to omega status.

But somehow Ev is to powerful, he has to be nerfed or limited in power but everyone else can be made more powerful? Seems weird to me that he should be singled out. Oh well him and Wolverine, because everyone seems to want his healing factor downgraded. Synch is perfectly fine with his current powerset and power levels. And if others can be uber powerful then so can Ev.
    The issue isnt that he is too powerful; the new application of his powers is boring. Having to synch with a mutant, complete with the visual aura made him stand out. He had to get creative nad there were times we'd see him use those powers in different ways. Now he can just call up any power he wants and considering he's lived on Krakoa with the bulk of the mutant population, thats kinda boring and unimaginative. They've largely ignored his base powers and we rarely see him "synch" anymore. Its just not interesting

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpack! View Post
    Talon really got the short end of the stick.

She has barely been around and barely done anything and she gets killed. Sure, we know she is the OG Laura, but still... No character arc of her own. Not even a "This is what happened while I was in the Vault after I helped Ev escape... This is why they kept me around..." The closest is "I don't wanna be friends with NuLaura."

She truly was a Woman in the Refrigerator.

By fridging her, they essentially proved everything the Laura fans were saying after the reveal of the Ev/Talon romance.

I say this AS an Ev fan.
    I'm not sure about other Laura fans but having already lost her in the Hickman Vault story I wasn't a fan of Duggan bringing her back because I knew it would most likely lead to another Laura loss story... which it did. Plus, Duggan only did this because there was that brief mention of resurrecting someone when the Council wasn't sure that they died and Duggan decided to do it when the other X-writers didn't bother to go near such a story.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought this was a fairly strong issue, Duggan has a good handle on his cast and they have nice banter. The only thing I found jarring is suddenly finding Spidey and Norman Osborne hanging out with the mutants, it kinda seemed to come out of nowhere.

Also, Duggan's captions work at times and don't at other times but here I felt they were fairly well-used, especially in the last bit with Synch and Talon. And that ending! Not totally unexpected, as I feel they need to only end up with one Laura before wrapping it all up - my theory is that the younger Laura gets killed or mortally wounded during the Sabretooth War which will lead to some sort of merging of the Laura's.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    My only issue with the data pages are that they overuse Character X Writing a Memo to Character Y. Otherwise they can be interesting, contribute to world-building, flesh concepts out, etc.
    I personnaly prefer exposition done in a creative way, by the artist drawing the story. It's always morefun than just a block of text.
    I enjoyed the gimmick initially but I agree it's time to retire it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I thought this was a fairly strong issue, Duggan has a good handle on his cast and they have nice banter. The only thing I found jarring is suddenly finding Spidey and Norman Osborne hanging out with the mutants, it kinda seemed to come out of nowhere.

Also, Duggan's captions work at times and don't at other times but here I felt they were fairly well-used, especially in the last bit with Synch and Talon. And that ending! Not totally unexpected, as I feel they need to only end up with one Laura before wrapping it all up - my theory is that the younger Laura gets killed or mortally wounded during the Sabretooth War which will lead to some sort of merging of the Laura's.
    Spider-Man is at least (usually) a reliable ally if not friend of the X-Men and has shown some impressive solidarity in Uncanny Spider-Man (starring Nightcrawler) and Astonishing Iceman from the Fall of X period, although one would think there'd be more askance looks from the X-Men at Osborn, even in his current Gold Goblin guise with his sins supposedly "cleansed" by way of demonic shotgun blast, after what he put them through during his Dark Reign.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Giys I get the feeling that Scott loves his wife.
    It's funny how the Jott's entire relationship in this era is based around Scott stating how much he loves Jean.

It worked when Kid Cable and Rachel were around and he got to be Dadclops. Since Jott moved into the tree, though, it's felt... fake.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    This version of Synch is arguably also a whole different character, merely given the name and face of an long deceased one (likely to side step the issue of completely new characters being more easily rejected by the fans), while burdened with a personal narrative and power level which can only work within the confines of the current status quo.

Essentialy the writer repeated the same problematic "revival of and reinvention" tactic that was used with Moira MacTaggert.

After all, Synch was brought back and then given absolutely no time (besides a single pannel showing him hanging out with Skin) to re-establish himself in any way resembling his original characterization and relationships, before being thrown into a 100 year spanning off-pannel adventure which fundamentaly alters him into a different, more experienced and powerfull person, to the point where he is more or less emotionaly cut off from any of his former friends and family.

To put it harshly. Generation X's Synch never came back, he is still dead and ignored.
    He is the same Synch with his memories from his death on Gen X #70. That time inside the vault changed him because of that.

This may be a longshot, but I wonder if Synch will attempt to resurrect Talon himself. He should have access to powers of The Five so creating a body shouldnt be an issue. Using all 5 at the same time and at their most efficient could be a problem though but I can see him attempting it, even if it fails. He can swipe the DNA from Laura and either attempt to transfer the mind himself or get Emma to assist him.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This may be a longshot, but I wonder if Synch will attempt to resurrect Talon himself. He should have access to powers of The Five so creating a body shouldnt be an issue. Using all 5 at the same time and at their most efficient could be a problem though but I can see him attempting it, even if it fails. He can swipe the DNA from Laura and either attempt to transfer the mind himself or get Emma to assist him.
    That could actually be really interesting if he tried to pull that off.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I cannot help myself and see this explicit display of heteronormative sexuality as a way to retcon the open relationship in the early phase of Krakoa.

yes, we got it. Jean and Scott are happily monogamously married and committed to each other even in death.......*rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I cannot help myself and see this explicit display of heteronormative sexuality as a way to retcon the open relationship in the early phase of Krakoa.

yes, we got it. Jean and Scott are happily monogamously married and committed to each other even in death.......*rolleyes
    I still think Percy killed the polycule with that weird hot tub scene with Jean and Logan, with Logan saying some weird **** about how she needed some “poison”. It was like a twelve year old’s idea of sexuality, even though Logan is like two hundred or something.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post

Considering the poly stuff was mostly Jean banging Scott in one book and Logan banging her in another, I don't know why you suddenly have problems with "explicit displays of heteronormative sexuality".
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Spider-Man is at least (usually) a reliable ally if not friend of the X-Men and has shown some impressive solidarity in Uncanny Spider-Man (starring Nightcrawler) and Astonishing Iceman from the Fall of X period, although one would think there'd be more askance looks from the X-Men at Osborn, even in his current Gold Goblin guise with his sins supposedly "cleansed" by way of demonic shotgun blast, after what he put them through during his Dark Reign.
    I agree that Osborn (and Spider-man as well) is shoe-horned in, but since Spider-man is there, I think its perfectly acceptable that Osborn is there.

Krakoa has welcomed mutant villains without addressing all the transgressions (worse than what Osborn did to them in Dark Reign) that they have inflicted on the heroes.

Also, this is supposedly the Fall of X with only a few rebels fighting against the Empire. Stands to reason they would work with anyone who wants to help them (heck, they think High Evolutionary will help them despite having no historical thinking that he would help them without taking something).

Side Note: Duggan writes all the non-X-men a whole lot better than the X-men, both in terms of characterization and plot. Spider-man, Osborn, Stark, and the Avengers Angelica, all are sounding and behaving logically. In contrast, the X-men are behaving how the plot wants them to act, even if it flies in the face of logic.
    Last edited by lefthanded; 01-19-2024 at 07:17 AM.