Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    It's hard to see that cartoon after Marvel nailed the character in Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Avengers Assemble. In those ones, Hulk is grumpy up to eleven, but understands what's going on at any given moment. 1996 Hulk was not grumpy, he was just dumb. And all that physical strength in a creature that can hardly understand its own actions... you can see that Ross does have a point.

Besides, a personality like that of Hulk works fine in a team, in contrast with other characters' traits, but not so much when having to carry the story all by himself.
    Several decades of solo comics and a solo live action series disagree with you on that one. Hulk is the last character that should be on teams regardless of what MCU Memes might say.

Except maybe Defenders, although the whole point of that team seems to be that they're incredibly dysfunctional and not organized.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Definitely remember the 1996 Incredible Hulk series. In my area it was part of UPN's new line up of kids shows. I remember it definitely being different than some of the other Marvel shows at the time and I think I could sense that it was pretty dark. Indeed, that darkness was captured fairly well with the intro:

It was scary and savage, but also pretty inspirational. Here was the Hulk attacked on all sides by monsters, robots, and the U.S. military. However, inside of cowering in fear, he lashes out and fights back. Tween-age me really liked that.

Furthermore, the show introduced me the Hulk's corner of the Marvel Universe. I knew some characters like Rick Jones and Doc Samson. Others, I had no clue, like General Ross, Betty, or Glen Talbot. The show was a good primer for these characters. Finally, the monsters that Hulk fought were awesome. My favorite was the Wendigo. Heck, I became a fan of Wendigo because of the show.

I liked all seasons of the show, even season 2. I thought it was cool that it featured the She-Hulk. That leads me to my most favorite part of the show: the guest stars. Oh my god, how many other Marvel heroes were featured in this series? Iron Man, War Machine, Ghost Rider, Thor, Thing, Dr. Strange, all of these guest appearances blew my mind as a kid. Not only was the show highlighting other parts of the Marvel Universe, but the keener eyed fans recognized that all of these characters had been featured on previous Marvel cartoons, like the Fantastic Four or Iron Man. Incredible Hulk even used the same voice actors from these cartoons. There was this whole shared Marvel TV universe and I seemed to be the only one who noticed (this was before me discovering online message boards and communities).

The one criticism I have about the show was it's impact of the comics. I remember reading that since the cartoon was so popular amongst kids, that Marvel decided to get the merged Hulk and regress him into the Savage Hulk. For me, that was a step back.

Still, Incredible Hulk holds a firm place in my heart. Glad to see others like it as well.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

how could you not know about General Ross and Betty? Theyve been around and well known in Hulk comics since the 1960s.

the episode with Dr Doom and Jennifer/She Hulk, I still think that episode got a little weird and awkward where Hulk was kind of getting turned out when Jennifer told him that he/Banner and her are cousins

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Definitely remember the 1996 Incredible Hulk series. In my area it was part of UPN's new line up of kids shows. I remember it definitely being different than some of the other Marvel shows at the time and I think I could sense that it was pretty dark. Indeed, that darkness was captured fairly well with the intro:

It was scary and savage, but also pretty inspirational. Here was the Hulk attacked on all sides by monsters, robots, and the U.S. military. However, inside of cowering in fear, he lashes out and fights back. Tween-age me really liked that.

Furthermore, the show introduced me the Hulk's corner of the Marvel Universe. I knew some characters like Rick Jones and Doc Samson. Others, I had no clue, like General Ross, Betty, or Glen Talbot. The show was a good primer for these characters. Finally, the monsters that Hulk fought were awesome. My favorite was the Wendigo. Heck, I became a fan of Wendigo because of the show.

I liked all seasons of the show, even season 2. I thought it was cool that it featured the She-Hulk. That leads me to my most favorite part of the show: the guest stars. Oh my god, how many other Marvel heroes were featured in this series? Iron Man, War Machine, Ghost Rider, Thor, Thing, Dr. Strange, all of these guest appearances blew my mind as a kid. Not only was the show highlighting other parts of the Marvel Universe, but the keener eyed fans recognized that all of these characters had been featured on previous Marvel cartoons, like the Fantastic Four or Iron Man. Incredible Hulk even used the same voice actors from these cartoons. There was this whole shared Marvel TV universe and I seemed to be the only one who noticed (this was before me discovering online message boards and communities).

The one criticism I have about the show was it's impact of the comics. I remember reading that since the cartoon was so popular amongst kids, that Marvel decided to get the merged Hulk and regress him into the Savage Hulk. For me, that was a step back.

Still, Incredible Hulk holds a firm place in my heart. Glad to see others like it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    how could you not know about General Ross and Betty? Theyve been around and well known in Hulk comics since the 1960s.

the episode with Dr Doom and Jennifer/She Hulk, I still think that episode got a little weird and awkward where Hulk was kind of getting turned out when Jennifer told him that he/Banner and her are cousins
    Ha, well, I wasn't a regular Hulk comics reader. I only had a few issues of the Incredible Hulk at the time, and those were the times when the Incredible Hulk was part of the Pantheon. No mention of General Ross there. Rick Jones was there. I didn't realize it at the time, but Betty was in those issues as well. However, I didn't recognize her as this integral figure, just some person in the comics. The rest of my knowledge of the Hulk came from guest appearances and trading cards.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Yeah, Ross was pretty much dead for the Pantheon era, or in somewhat of a vegetive state in the Redeemer armor.

He also wasn't prominently featured in Immortal Hulk either, which instead had his protege (and nemesis) from the Red Hulk comics, General Fortean.

He was recently killed again but revealed to be alive and with his Red Hulk powers back in Captain America, although he's kind of been in limbo since then. (Bruce also has Red Hulk powers as Joe Fixit now). However when Captain America 4 and Thunderbolts come out I would expect him to resurface in the comics as well.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-21-2024 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Ha, well, I wasn't a regular Hulk comics reader. I only had a few issues of the Incredible Hulk at the time, and those were the times when the Incredible Hulk was part of the Pantheon. No mention of General Ross there. Rick Jones was there. I didn't realize it at the time, but Betty was in those issues as well. However, I didn't recognize her as this integral figure, just some person in the comics. The rest of my knowledge of the Hulk came from guest appearances and trading cards.
    Doesn't help that Betty in the cartoon doesn't look like her comic counterpart. She was blonde, but is brunette in the comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Talbot was also barely used at the time cuz he was a corpse. Plus if your only knowledge of Hulk was the live-action show, you wouldn't even know who all these people were even Rick.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Doesn't help that Betty in the cartoon doesn't look like her comic counterpart. She was blonde, but is brunette in the comics.
    Betty changed her appearance with shorter, dyed lighter blonde hair in the comics during the Merged era so it's probably reflecting that (although the comics hairstyle was different). However after she was nearly killed at the end of the Pantheon she turned back to her regular style.

There's a few funny bits about it, when she first dyes it becomes green, so she thinks she's becoming the Harpy again. Then she gets a new job as an emergency phone operator, and her co-worker is a dark-haired woman called Veronica.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-22-2024 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    Recently this month ive been binge watching some of the old 1996 Incredible Hulk cartoon on Disneyplus and my opinion is that ehow's not bad but it has some odd guest appearances from Ghost Rider to Alpha Flight's Sasquatch, to Dr Doom and a weird moment that ends a little incest cringey with Jennifer Walters when she turns into the She Hulk in one episode.

at least they included the short Gargoyle character to partner him up with the Leader
    One of my favorite Marvel cartoons, used to watch it all the time when it aired on ABC Family

i thought it was okay. i kind of enjoyed it