Default KIMOTA! A Miracleman Apreciation 2024

For those who still believes in utopias and their tragic ends, the volume The Silver age has just ended:

and The Dark Age has been promised:

Evaluations? Opinions? Expectatives?
    I have to say than the SIlver age really ended with an anticlimatic note, but very akin to the kind of tale than Gaiman writes. The final confrontation indeed is left like an cliffhanger but you feel than the waiting has damaged the expectaive. Isn't a bad tale, but I think there was too much expectative on what would happen, and that was like three decades ago.
    But I liked. I liked Dickie attittude. Just wonder if he will crack or not.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Hoping 2024 will be Awesome for Miracleman/Marvelman
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

... what is the conclusion of this current story arc about? What is the macro-story being told? Does Miracleman even exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... what is the conclusion of this current story arc about? What is the macro-story being told? Does Miracleman even exist?
    Just now the SIlver Age finished with an anticlimatic note but a cliffhanger about a looming threat nobody knows about. Suppously after this it comes The Dark age, so you can guess how everything will go.
    I think it would have had a bigger impact thirty years ago. In the modern context it is not that relevant.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Haven't read any of the new stories, but do recall 'The Silver Age' when it was originally unfolding. It was very different from Moore's Mircleman -- more ceberal and subtle, so I'm not surprised that the ending is anticlimatic. Very different from Moore's finale.

Sure you don't mean the Golden age? The Silver age was the promised second story of Gaiman, where Young Miracleman discovers the world under Miracleman rule and this is at last published after so many years. And certainly the style of Gaiman is different to Moore's. But least say than after a lot of time, loyal readers were expecting something with a little more impact. This era of Miracleman has been pretty tame compared to the original and I don't think Marvel, under the rule of Disney, would dare to go to the territories where the original run went and was made legendary for that.

Astonishing Member

Not sure, really. Wasn't it the Silver Age in which Young Miracleman is restored/cloned and then just ends unfinished. Or was YM brought back in the Golden Age? Again, haven't read any of those stories since they were published in what, the 1980s?

Young Miracleman returns properly in the Silver Age. That was the story left unfinished. The Golden age included stories such as the pilgrims to Olmpus, the avatar/clone/resurrected Andy Warhol, the city of spies, the lover of Miraclewoman and the mother of a Miracle baby.
    Now finally The Silver Age has finished with a end... well, there was some tension but I felt it cold. I guess it can be said seems like the calm before the storm, as now suppously it comes the conclusion to the Gaiman outline, with the Dark age. Let's hope we didn't have to wait another 30 years for that.

I don't think supervillian is the right word. Maybe rival or opposition.

https://www.cbr.com/miracleman-dicki...-supervillain/

I have to say, after years of waiting for the conclusion to The Silver Age, this arc ultimately fell flat.
    Between the long delays (I hadn't even realized #7 came out, had to hunt it down), and the obvious reprint filler content in issues 4/5 (which were probably intended originally as one issue),
    I had hoped for more. The cliffhanger just felt like a disappointment given it will be forever or longer before we ever see The Dark Age finale.
    Maybe a bigger confrontation in #7 would have helped, but it was just a lot of monologuing to resolve an existential crisis.
    The only "new" installment with any grit was issue #6, where we finally got some backstory on Dickie Dauntless.

I feel like this does set up a good finale for The Dark Age, but considering that hasn't even been solicited yet, I expect it will be years before we see it.

The old school comic book gangster threat of "Don't start reading any continued stories" comes to mind.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The old school comic book gangster threat of "Don't start reading any continued stories" comes to mind.
    Haha, luckily I'd only been waiting 5(?) years since the Marvel reprint versions started and then hit pause, not 30 years since the original.
    However, this does read like a cautionary tale on continued stories! The first four volumes (Moore, Gaiman) were brilliant...
    I'd just really love to see a full conclusion with The Dark Age, and hoping I haven't expired before it ever sees print.
    Last edited by astro@work; 02-27-2024 at 06:15 PM.

I jjust hope Gaiman don't dies before finished writing the Dark age. But indeed the ending makes you wish the story would had been finished 30 years ago or simply be one of those lost oportunities.
    Nobody cross twice the same river. Or it is washed twice the same river? Whatever, the idea is the same.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Ha! That reminds me of when I was in high school and had just read the X-Men story where Jean Grey turns into Dark Phoenix. I had to hope that the world didn't end or that I didn't die before I could read the conclusion. Fortunately, I only had to wait 30 days -- but even then the story wouldn't conclude for another 30 days.