Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I mean...they made a big deal out of the death of Supergirl. And Levitz actually thought he was going to sneak her resurrection past the higher ups at DC who signed off on her death?

It reminds me of Dan Jurgens' efforts several years later with ZERO HOUR to attempt to erase proto-Oracle Barbara Gordon from the DCU and "integrate" an alternate-timeline Batgirl who was never crippled, just to bring back Barbara-as-Batgirl, and it turned out he apparently didn't even consult with Denny O'Neill about the matter, until O'Neill found out about his plans and informed him that they had plans to use the wheelchair-bound Barbara, so knock it off (I added that last remark). Or when Jim Starlin, in the middle of one of the RANN-THANAGAR minis, did a special starring Hawkman just to get rid of then-current status quo of him being Carter Hall, apparently because he wanted to write about Katar Hol instead, and seemingly didn't check to see if anybody had plans to used Carter-Hall-as-Hawkman. Because almost as soon as that special was published, Hawkman was yanked away from Starlin because Geoff Johns had plans for the Carter Hall version later on in BLACKEST NIGHT.

You have to actually make sure you have editorial control of a character before you decide to make a massive change to said character's status quo.
    I don't think that was similar to what Jurgens did. Starlin did have editorial control of Hawkman. He was writing an event called Rann-Thanagar War. You don't do anything to Thanagar without Hawkman. Johns pulled rank (he basically was at a point in DC that he could do pratically anything he wanted), got to kill (in a very gross way) and bring back Hawkman in Blackest Night (an event I really liked), but really didn't do much of anything with him (other than kill Kendra, which I never liked, and bring back Shiera, which I've always liked). His arc in Brightest Day was kind of "meh" (as was, IMHO, many of the arcs in that series), and then came Flashpoint and everything was rebooted. I can't say I was enamoured with the ideas Starlin had for Hawkman, but I was enjoying quite a lot his take on DC's Cosmic, and was quite frustrated with the interfearence he got.

Peace

Astonishing Member

I wonder if Levitz was hoping that TPTB would have a change of heart -- and eventually Kara would return to being Supergirl. She had such a dramatic moment facing Anti-Monitor in Crisis, that it's a shame DC couldn't or wouldn't build off that momentum. I was so excited to see Supergirl show up in Byrne's Superman run, but that execution of the character was mostly disappointing.

Maybe because I didn't grow up reading LoSH until after Crisis, I never cared for Superboy or Supergirl being members. Especially when they had that no duplicate powers rules they just so happen to ignore for the Supes, Mon-El and Ultra boy ("bUt hE's DiFfereT beCauSe hE Can OnLy usE hIs PowErS One At a TimE"). Dumb.
    On the other hand, I did like Laurel "Andromeda" Gand. And her Chris Sprouse design was top notch!

Astonishing Member

Supergirl rarely appeared as a member in the Bronze Age. It wasn't until the Great Darkness that Levitz showed how effective should be as a reserve member. Andromeda was okay, but let's face it -- she was a watered down version of Kara. Better than nothing, but not the same.

But Superboy had always been the anchor -- and the entire reason the Legion existed. I think he and Supergirl were given membership as an honor since they influenced the creation of the team. And in the Silver Age (and even early Bronze Age), Superboy was the gateway to the team.

My only guess back then was that Sensor Girl was Kara. I hoped that it was her but thought the reveal that she was Projectra was actually really cool and made sense. It made so much sense that I thought that it was intentional. That Levitz purposefully faked us out with clues about Kara knowing she was really Projectra. I like Sensor Girl being Projectra but man, it would've been cool if she were Kara. If any character could find a way to save Kara it would be Brainy and he had the motivation.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

DC needs to stop being such petty assholes and release this run in Omni's or trades already. It is pathetic when garbage runs like Waid and Bendis are fully collected while the run most people have being screaming for for at least 20 years goes uncollected. It just makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTION View Post
    Hello all-
    I have another LOSH question. What are your thoughts on the 63 issue run that began in 1984? Is this run worth a read? As always,
    thank you in advance. 👍🏻👍🏻
    For me, not only is it worth reading, it is PEAK Legion. I don't think it uas ever reached those heights since.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    DC needs to stop being such petty assholes and release this run in Omni's or trades already. It is pathetic when garbage runs like Waid and Bendis are fully collected while the run most people have being screaming for for at least 20 years goes uncollected. It just makes no sense.
    If they do that, then readers could feel cheated by the Waid and Bendis versions.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    If they do that, then readers could feel cheated by the Waid and Bendis versions.
    And they would understand why so many of us love these characters so much and why they should still matter.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    And they would understand why so many of us love these characters so much and why they should still matter.
    QFTT.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    And they need to include the newsstand issues that were being released at the same time as those first Baxter issues so the references make sense. Do it right.