Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thoughts on Legion of Super Heroes 1984 series

Hello all-
    I have another LOSH question. What are your thoughts on the 63 issue run that began in 1984? Is this run worth a read? As always,
    thank you in advance. 👍🏻👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTION View Post
    Hello all-
    I have another LOSH question. What are your thoughts on the 63 issue run that began in 1984? Is this run worth a read? As always,
    thank you in advance. 👍🏻👍🏻
    If you're a Legion fan (even a casual one), it's a must read.

It's not exactly a great jumping on point if you're not reasonably grounded in classic Legion lore, as it pretty much dives right into a Legion of Super-Villains arc without much of a "who are all these guys, anyway?" grounding. Then comes the Crisis crossovers, and the Millenium crossover, and the whole business with the Pocket Universe Superboy.

Still, it's a damn compelling bunch of stories. Levitz juggles a cast of several dozen throughout the series with aplomb. The art, though bouncing from post-Perez-influenced Giffen to Lightle to Larouque to pinch-faced Giffen, is always solid. And the stories are some of the more consequential in the Legion's history.

I loved it.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It is probably the best run the Legion ever had. Levitz was just in the zone especially the first 50 issues. It is just baffling that DC has never collected most of this run (outside of the first 13 issues) in ANY form of trade or Omni. The book starts right out with the Legion of Superheroes/Legion of Supervillains War. You also have stories like the Death of Superboy, The Universo Project, Conspiracy, Who is Sensor Girl, and others.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Boisterously Confused

A little pre-period reading is helpful, but not essential. This, IMO, was one of the most exciting periods of time for DC and The Legion (along with The New Teen Titans) was probably the most exciting of their titles.

Astonishing Member

Starts strong and got immediately better with Steve Lightle replacing Keith Giffen. Giffen's layouts were still strong but he adapted a blocky drawing style that didn't work for the Legion (or for me).

Unfortunately, Lightle's run was short-lived and he was replaced by Greg Laroque who was capable but had some issues with how he posed characters. Lightle continued on covers only for this run. Levitz's work was still solid, but I think he worked best when teamed with an artist who co-plotted.I think Laroque drew the majority of the series.

When Giffen returned near the series end he had adapted a new style which was closer to Kevin Maguire's. I loved that Time Trapper story for the 50th issue. I wasn't crazy about Giffen's redesigned costumes that debuted in the Magic Wars. I never thought he was great at designing new costumes for the Legionnaires.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

It was peak Legion for me. As much as I enjoyed Giffen's Five Years Later and DnA's Reboot Legion, V3 is probably the Legion at its very best.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    It was peak Legion for me. As much as I enjoyed Giffen's Five Years Later and DnA's Reboot Legion, V3 is probably the Legion at its very best.
    Quoted for total agreement.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It is probably the best run the Legion ever had. Levitz was just in the zone especially the first 50 issues. It is just baffling that DC has never collected most of this run (outside of the first 13 issues) in ANY form of trade or Omni. The book starts right out with the Legion of Superheroes/Legion of Supervillains War. You also have stories like the Death of Superboy, The Universo Project, Conspiracy, Who is Sensor Girl, and others.
    I was trying to decide which of the stories you mentioned was my favourite... but I couldnt quite settle on one.

The Death of Superboy opened the door to a series of retcons that plagued the Legion for years... but was in itself and amazing story with such a moving finale.
    The Universo Project was peak Imra for me, a smaller story in terms of focus but with so many great character moments.
    The Conspiracy kept me glued to its pages for its entirety, it's such a well-written story. And the showdown with the Time Trapper is just epic comics at their best.
    Who is Sensor Girl? I absolutely loved the work that Levitz put into Projectra who has been one of my faves ever since. And after this story, her later showdown with the Emerald Empress still gives me the chills.

The 1984 IS the series of the Legion. Ok, it was for me at least. There are later versions, but when you think of the Legion tha defined the team, this is the era.

I minor note is to overlook certain details scientifically unprecise. There are some cools scenes but those are like the sound in space of the ships of Star Wars.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

Who is Sensor Girl is, IMHO, probably one of the best and most underrated Legion sagas of all.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Who is Sensor Girl is, IMHO, probably one of the best and most underrated Legion sagas of all.

Peace
    I loved that. Especially telling us one of the Legionnaires was correct about it and letting us figure it out. That's the kind of stuff that made the Silver Age fun and keeping some of it in the more jaded "adult" eighties maintained the attitude and feeling of the Legion.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Extraordinary Member

This run gave me more respect for Paul Levitz as a writer. I was giving most of the credit for the high quality of the book to Keith Giffen.

Although the quality did drop some after Giffen's departure, Levitz proved himself with one great storyline after another during the Baxter issues. There were very few lull moments, as he was hitting us with great stories all through those issues.

Astonishing Member

Levitz kept me interested, but my favorite Legion runs are the ones with great art. The series started and ended strong, but the middle was so so. The Legion didn't sell as well during the Laroque era, but it did well enough to get by.

Extraordinary Member

My one complaint with this run was the resignations of the three original members. Even with Saturn Girl coming back, you needed all three on the team in some capacity.