Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Resurrection of Magneto #1 - Preview and Ewing interview

Last edited by JB; 01-20-2024 at 08:26 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

CBR: Magneto perished in the pages of X-Men: Red in 2022. Resurrection of Magneto begins in January 2024. How long have you known you were going to tell this story? What can you tell us about why you wanted to tell this particular tale with Magneto?

Al Ewing: The decision to kill Magneto came hand in hand with the decision to bring him back, and I knew his resurrection was going to come in the form of a quest undertaken by Storm at roughly the end of my time with her, assuming I got more than a year to tell the story. And we've pretty much stuck with that, though a couple of the fine details have evolved as we've told other stories in the meantime. But his death was always going to be the first act of the story.

As for why Magneto -- when we did the deed, Fall of X was still very much in the planning stage, but I think deep down the idea that one of the X-Men's most powerful members and one of Charles' oldest friends would be off the table, leaving him completely alone, had a lot of appeal from a story point of view. It's an opportunity to put Magneto through the fire, which always appeals with any character.

CBR: One of the biggest questions about Resurrection of Magneto, especially given his willingness to forego Krakoan resurrection protocols, is why? What can you tell us about the situation that makes Storm consider bringing Magneto back?

Ewing: On a practical level, he's needed in the fight. On another level, she knows he's in pain. Magneto's landed in a sphere of judgment, and Ororo wants to offer him mercy. And the fact that she's allowed to do it at all by the higher powers of the MU means that, on some level, it needs to be done, which means there's more to this than just bringing Magneto back to life. The quest won't end there, and Storm's going to find herself facing some of the X-Men's greatest and most powerful foes [from] over the years.
    Last edited by JB; 01-20-2024 at 08:27 AM.

OH DAMM.

I want this now.

Exquisite. This and Dead X-Men are my most excitedly anticipated titles.
    Love to see Lactuca appear on the viewing screens!
    Ororo and Craig of NASA and the kiddos have me squeeling.
    The EMOTIONAL JOURNEY in the span of 4 pages??? Killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    100% agreed. These four pages grabbed me already. It's going to be an amazing journey.

3 red Magneto helmets.
    3 pools of blood.
    1 green.

These must represent his children -- both past and present.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    On another level, she knows he's in pain. Magneto's landed in a sphere of judgment, and Ororo wants to offer him mercy. And the fact that she's allowed to do it at all by the higher powers of the MU means that, on some level, it needs to be done, which means there's more to this than just bringing Magneto back to life. The quest won't end there, and Storm's going to find herself facing some of the X-Men's greatest and most powerful foes [from] over the years.
    someone get the MCU writers on the line... this is the answer to how you have magneto have his Holocost roots AND be active in 2026+... you have him die in the 70s or 80s and tell a story similar to this... he went to hell and is rescued and resurrected...
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

3 red Magneto helmets.
    3 pools of blood.
    1 green.

Shouldn't there be a fourth for Anya? Or does she not count now?

3 red Magneto helmets.
    3 pools of blood.
    1 green.

Not tri sentinel?

This part!

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Shouldn't there be a fourth for Anya? Or does she not count now?
    Oops. I forgot. Perhaps my assumption is premature and just plain wrong.

Oops. I forgot. Perhaps my assumption is premature and just plain wrong.
    Not necessarily… the whole reason Magneto got on this self-exile and no resurrection train was because Anya couldn’t be part of the resurrection protocols and he hoped to be reunited w/ her. Even though Wanda and Pietro aren’t mutants anymore they can still be resurrected using the protocols (which is still super suspect to me!), so Anya is very much in a category of her own.

Astonishing Member

With the implications made in the interview that the prospect of Magneto returning to life and joining the battle against Orchis - and Enigma - has the major powers of the Marvel universe tuning in and considering this worth their interests, you never know....could be there's some reason Enigma is worried about Magneto & various other omegas and things they could potentially do to hurt him or ruin his plans, and so he pulled some cosmic trickery and hid Anya from detection in the Waiting Room so that Magneto would do what he did - aka give up resurrection in the hopes of finding and joining his daughter in an afterlife. I don't actually think that's going to happen, but the plot twist that Anya is a latent mutant after all and actually is in the Waiting Room and everyone's favorite extra-universal meddler just made it look like she wasn't, to 'encourage' Magneto to gracefully exit stage left....*shrugs* Weirder things have happened this era.

Fantastic Member

I've been enjoying the end of this era, and it wasn't until this interview that I acted like Carly Simon did on the cover of her album Torch -- Don't go! *Full Heartbreak Mod as I Try to Keep Al's Arm as a Souvenir*

(Note: I'm pretty young to know/appreciate "Torch," but it's worth a google search if you only know "You're So Vain.")

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Those opening ages brought me to tears...they're that beauty-full and heart-pulling. Lord Ewing is God Eternal!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!