Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just want My Adventures with Superman to run for a few more seasons.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is a good point. What would be the "gimmick" for a new series? L&C was Superman as love interest for women/young couples. Smallville was him as a teenager. S&L was him as a dad late into his career. There's not much left to go with him. Other than take some of these other concepts and expand on them, what else is left to say? Even Krypton was about Superman before he was born! You have shows about the ancillary characters. Like Supergir and Conner in Titans. Even Krypto got his own show! And movie!

On a secondary note, I don't like the idea of Gunn being able to kill other people's projects. I don't think that he's responsible for the death of S&L, the CW has never turned a profit, but just the idea that he can nix some other project is unnerving. Not that he comes across as someone like that in interviews. The Matt Reeves Batman is still going on. As is the Joker sequel.
    He doesn't really have a choice with Reeves' Batman and Phillip's Joker. And he apparently wanted to integrate Reeves' Batman into his DCU but Reeves said no.

I dunno...maybe its just a coincidence that a lot of the non-DCU/DCEU live-action projects/universes ended around the time of Gunn taking over. The Arrowverse. Titans. Now S&L (which was kind off an off-shoot of the Arrowverse). Probably a few more I'm missing. The Arrowverse ending was I suppose natural though...it had been running on fumes for its last couple of years. And there was the CW sale.

S&L ended because Nexstar (which bought the CW) doesn’t want to make expensive original programming anymore. The CW has apparently never been profitable and they want to switch to reality TV. If Gunn wanted it dead it wouldn’t be getting a fourth season to wrap things up.

As for me, I only want MAWS to run for 4-5 seasons ideally. I’m not hungry for a live action Superman show right now. Maybe in the DCU they could do a Daily Planet show, inspired by Fraction Jimmy Olsen, but that’s all I’d want. Would like a Legion show with Superboy, but something like that would have to be animated.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Honestly ... no. For two reasons.

1) There's not much new left that live-action TV can cover for Superman.

Adventures of Superman covers Clark well in his 30s.

Superboy covers Clark in his college years.

Lois & Clark covers Clark in early professional years.

Smallville covers Clark in his high school years.

Superman And Lois covers Clark in his 40s.

That's a range of 30 years from age 15 to age 45.

Really the only aspect of his life that HASN'T been specifically covered is the Training Period (which is post High School but pre Super-Costume ... which could possibly be some variation of Superboy And The Legion Of SuperHeroes maybe with the New52 caped T-shirt and Jeans outfit) and the Early Smallville Years when Clark was 1 thru 12 years old. The latter sounds too boring and the former brings us to the second reason why there's no need for more live-action Superman shows ...

2) TV simply cannot do justice to the required big-time spectacle aspect of his story.

Clark has done moderately well overall in the medium of live-action television, but that medium is just not designed to show him off due to its intrinsic budget constraints.

If it were up to me, live-action Superman gets saved for big-budget movies only, with high-quality animation and top-notch video games (please please) also a complementary priority outside the comix.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Honestly ... no. For two reasons.

1) There's not much new left that live-action TV can cover for Superman.

Adventures of Superman covers Clark well in his 30s.

Superboy covers Clark in his college years.

Lois & Clark covers Clark in early professional years.

Smallville covers Clark in his high school years.

Superman And Lois covers Clark in his 40s.

That's a range of 30 years from age 15 to age 45.

Really the only aspect of his life that HASN'T been specifically covered is the Training Period (which is post High School but pre Super-Costume ... which could possibly be some variation of Superboy And The Legion Of SuperHeroes maybe with the New52 caped T-shirt and Jeans outfit) and the Early Smallville Years when Clark was 1 thru 12 years old. The latter sounds too boring and the former brings us to the second reason why there's no need for more live-action Superman shows ...

2) TV simply cannot do justice to the required big-time spectacle aspect of his story.

Clark has done moderately well overall in the medium of live-action television, but that medium is just not designed to show him off due to its intrinsic budget constraints.

If it were up to me, live-action Superman gets saved for big-budget movies only, with high-quality animation and top-notch video games (please please) also a complementary priority outside the comix.
    The counter to that is if relegated to film and going by the 40 years between 1990 and 2030 there will have been 3 Superman films. One every 13 years. That is very slim pickings. Saving live-action Superman for big budget films means live action Superman will be very rare. As to TV, the Superboy series managed very good FX on a shoestring budget almost 40 years ago. S&L had very good FX, but they cost a lot. More toned-down FX like those of Superboy work(ed) just fine. If you haven't seen Superboy check it out to see what I mean. The argument may be moot as AI will transform TV/ film over the next decade and great FX will be possible on much smaller budgets. If Superman Legacy underperforms WBD won't make another Superman film for decades. If that happens and with your argument for no more Superman TV, the result would be the end of live action Superman.

Video games? Like when is Superman even going to get another? Is that in the cards? The DC Alliance guys were talking about that and sort of came to the conclusion that a good Superman game can't be done for logistical reasons. I don't know as I'm not a gamer but don't hold your breath waiting for the next one.

The argument that all the stories have been told on TV so don't do any more TV can be applied to Superman comics where all the stories have been told so why continue publishing Superman comics? The premise of storytelling is based on a few repeated themes and expands out from those themes but storytelling across comics or other literature is repetitive insofar as it's based on permutations and combination of that small set of foundational themes. Ironically the argument has been made that Superman comics are boring because everything to write about Superman has been written already. All the while ignoring Batman whose had many more stories written about him and yet he is not boring. Same for Spiderman.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 01-20-2024 at 06:25 PM.