Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Do you want another Supeman show after S&L ends?

We seem to get a new Superman show about every five years starting in 1988 with the Superboy show. Sometimes while others are still on the air! Like with Supergirl and S&L. Personally I wouldn't mind a break for a while. And we're getting that Gunn movie next year. So do you want another Superman show anytime soon? There's already that cartoon so it's not like there isn't some Superman material out there between now and the time the movie premiers. Krypton never got finished! Maybe they could take that one up again!
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm going to say no. At this moment in time, the shows have all done a good job representing different eras for Superman. Each has been unique. Now if they said, "Hey we are going to do Superman Battleworld or Superman Lost type show. That would work for me.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I imagine if we do it'll be a spin-off of the Gunnverse.

Maybe a Reign of the Supermen show set between movies, since they likely wont do Death of Superman or Doomsday again any time soon they could just end a movie with Clark off-world but the public under the belief he's dead. Could condense it down, no Mongul or Coast City being blown up but still have Cyborg Superman revealed to be a bad guy and the other Supers putting aside there differences to take him down.

Look I really want to see Conner make into the Gunnverse somehow.

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't mind a Superman series that took itself somewhere between the older shows and modern comics. Something in the vein of Lois & Clark or Smallville where it was aimed at telling shorter stories. One where you might have an episode showing a day-in-the-life or episode arcs that were 3 episodes and more self-contained. I mean a battle with Metallo that might be part of a season-long arc but where you could watch those Metallo episodes (and just those episodes) without feeling like you were missing something if you hadn't seen every episode that season.

But I could die a happy man if there was never another 10-13 episode season live action superhero show with a plot that tied into every episode. Or one where every episode was turning the stress up to 11 (on a 10 point scale). I want more first flight scenes from Man of Steel and less Big Bads whose presence is felt in every scene leading upto the season ending battle (which has to be bigger stakes than the last dozen season ending battles)

Personally, I kinda just want "My Adventures With Superman" to run for a good five seasons or more. A comparable run to something like "She-Ra and the Princesses of Power", or "Voltron", or "Steven Universe".

After that, we can look at another show.

I do think that having the TV shows, movies, and even video games, all set in the same universe, is a fundamentally bad idea.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Is there a downside on having another TV show?

Absolutely yes. For these reasons:

1) A TV series gives us 12 or whatever hours of Superman a year for 4 years. Maybe more. A film gives us 2.5 hours over 3/4 years and that is if there is a sequel.

2) Superman does better on TV. The Superboy series was a top 10 syndicated hit, Lois and Clark was a mid-level hit, Smallville was a hit and Superman and Lois was a semi-hit. By contrast Superman 3 and 4 were failures. Superman Returns just broke even and Man Of Steel made the least money of any of the DCEU films through Aquaman and not including Justice League. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam and Suicide Squad all got sequels. MOS did not.

3) A TV series gives producers an opportunity to develop the characters and to introduce varied members of the Superman family. Friends and foes. Something the films have failed to do, and that Gunn's SL will apparently fail at also. MOS and BvS fast-tracked the Lois and Clark relationship to where it was empty and had no draw. Will Lois and Clark get the same speedy fall in love treatment in Superman Legacy? Will there be an effort to develop a Jimmy/Clark relationship? Gunn's DCU seems to preclude that as the focus is on introducing as many characters as possible to the exclusion of more standalone projects that allow for character development over a multi-film story arc.

4)All we can go by now are the rumors, but it looks like another Superman project, after SL, is not in the works. Superman may cameo/guest in some of the other films but that does not qualify as a Superman film. So, if Superman turns out not to be a big factor in the film DCU, then a TV series is called for.

5)If Superman Legacy underperforms WBD probably won't make another Superman film for decades so TV may offer the only chance of seeing Superman in live-action for a long time to come.

There are many routes another TV series could take. My preference would be Clark moving to Metropolis after graduating from college and becoming Superman in the series. Better it be apart from the DCU - maybe the Abdy/DeLuca wing of WBD could make the series. Reeve's Batman is under them and not Gunn.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 01-19-2024 at 10:07 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think its unlikely, since Gunn seem to be cracking down on stuff not set in his new DCU...which might be a factor in why S&L is ending (though it could just be part of general cost-cutting measures). Also, there usually hasn't been a Superman show proper while a new movie is in production, or about to be released...Smallville was an exception because it was a prequel and didn't have him in the suit.

That said, while I'm always open to more Superman, I'm not quiet sure what a new show would do that previous shows haven't (especially given the restrictions of a TV budget).

We've already done the origin, the Smallville years, the pre-Superman years, Superman's early career, peak Superman, Lois & Clark getting married, Lois & Clark having kids...I mean, what's left? And obviously, any of these eras would be done again, probably even better than the first time round, but that's gonna require a really unique approach or hook.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

If they do... its time to change it up.

Kara needs to be part of the cast full time.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think its unlikely, since Gunn seem to be cracking down on stuff not set in his new DCU...which might be a factor in why S&L is ending (though it could just be part of general cost-cutting measures). Also, there usually hasn't been a Superman show proper while a new movie is in production, or about to be released...Smallville was an exception because it was a prequel and didn't have him in the suit.

That said, while I'm always open to more Superman, I'm not quiet sure what a new show would do that previous shows haven't (especially given the restrictions of a TV budget).
    Gunn said that the DCU and Elseworlds both exist under DC Studios but are not connected. Hence Reeve's Batman. Too bad Superman and Lois could not have moved to the Elseworlds division and run another season or two. Until Superman Legacy and how well it does is known. I suspect Gunn had a part in S&L's cancelation. If Superman Legacy underperforms and Gunn stops using Superman in his DCU maybe a TV series can be developed under the Elseworlds division? Several projects are rumored in development there including Constantine.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I need another shot at Superboy and the Legion please.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Gunn said that the DCU and Elseworlds both exist under DC Studios but are not connected. Hence Reeve's Batman. Too bad Superman and Lois could not have moved to the Elseworlds division and run another season or two. Until Superman Legacy and how well it does is known. I suspect Gunn had a part in S&L's cancelation. If Superman Legacy underperforms and Gunn stops using Superman in his DCU maybe a TV series can be developed under the Elseworlds division? Several projects are rumored in development there including Constantine.
    He didn't play a part. CW is cheaper now than it was when the show began. S&L is way too expensive to continue properly on the network

MAX wouldn't pick it up since they hate having 2 separate Superman properties in different mediums.

Smallville almost got canceled just because Superman Returns was coming out but WB doesn't have that power over CW anymore

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post

We've already done the origin, the Smallville years, the pre-Superman years, Superman's early career, peak Superman, Lois & Clark getting married, Lois & Clark having kids...I mean, what's left? And obviously, any of these eras would be done again, probably even better than the first time round, but that's gonna require a really unique approach or hook.
    This is a good point. What would be the "gimmick" for a new series? L&C was Superman as love interest for women/young couples. Smallville was him as a teenager. S&L was him as a dad late into his career. There's not much left to go with him. Other than take some of these other concepts and expand on them, what else is left to say? Even Krypton was about Superman before he was born! You have shows about the ancillary characters. Like Supergirl and Conner in Titans. Even Krypto got his own show! And movie!

On a secondary note, I don't like the idea of Gunn being able to kill other people's projects. I don't think that he's responsible for the death of S&L, the CW has never turned a profit, but just the idea that he can nix some other project is unnerving. Not that he comes across as someone like that in interviews. The Matt Reeves Batman is still going on. As is the Joker sequel.
    Assassinate Putin!

Would I want one? Sure.

But I'm not sure if the chances are high in the new Gunn-verse.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is a good point. What would be the "gimmick" for a new series? L&C was Superman as love interest for women/young couples. Smallville was him as a teenager. S&L was him as a dad late into his career. There's not much left to go with him. Other than take some of these other concepts and expand on them, what else is left to say? Even Krypton was about Superman before he was born! You have shows about the ancillary characters. Like Supergirl and Conner in Titans. Even Krypto got his own show! And movie!

On a secondary note, I don't like the idea of Gunn being able to kill other people's projects. I don't think that he's responsible for the death of S&L, the CW has never turned a profit, but just the idea that he can nix some other project is unnerving. Not that he comes across as someone like that in interviews. The Matt Reeves Batman is still going on. As is the Joker sequel.
    Saying it's all been done before can be applied to the animation as well. But there are always new angles to take. Not doing more Superman on TV or in animation - say after MAWS - is self-defeating for the IP. It's not clear if Superman will play much of a role in the film DCU. If he doesn't then with no TV, limited use in film and maybe no more animated projects the IP eventually dies off. Even printing comics becomes questionable as comics lose money and are loss leaders for film, TV and animated projects.

Of course, the issue is would Gunn allow non-DCU Elseworld projects? He has no choice with Batman but why not a TV series where, unlike Smallville, Clark first appears as Superboy in high school. A different take not done in live-action before. Or a series where Superman retires, and his son takes over - a series that would focus on Kal teaching/helping his son take on the mantle. Gunn forcing a strict continuity in his DCU will constrain the very creativity that not just Superman but others need to flourish. Theoretically the Elseworld outlet is there but is it only for Batman?
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 01-19-2024 at 04:25 PM.