Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Crisis on Infinite Earth Aftermath

Question, what was the aftermath of Crisis on Infinite Earths, where there any stories after the series that dealt with heroes dealing with there only being 1 Earth or was it quietly shuffled under the carpet. Because if I remember correctly everything continued for a while and then they rebooted Superman with The Man of Steel and Wonder Woman. But was there issues dealing with the post Crisis unified Earth?

Incredible Member

Morrison used Pyscho Pirate remembering the multiverse as a plot point in Animal Man (1988)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    Question, what was the aftermath of Crisis on Infinite Earths, where there any stories after the series that dealt with heroes dealing with there only being 1 Earth or was it quietly shuffled under the carpet. Because if I remember correctly everything continued for a while and then they rebooted Superman with The Man of Steel and Wonder Woman. But was there issues dealing with the post Crisis unified Earth?
    Mostly only during Crisis as a Crisis tie-in.

Spectacular Member

Thought so - just really, really tired right now, so needed a reminder. Seems like most Crisis events as in they're hardly referenced after the fact - I remember vaguely when they had the Superman and Legion crossover with Superboy in the early days that the Crisis was referenced... but that was it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    The one that really stands out in my mind as far as directly addressing the immediate fallout of Crisis On Infinite Earths was Last Days of the Justice Society from writer Roy Thomas. A much-maligned book, but I love it as a proper and emotional sendoff to the first super-team in comic books.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

In All Star Squadron #60 Mekanique held back the effects of the Crisis temporarily so she could mess with the timeline.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

For the most part, no one really remembered the multiverse except Psycho Pirate. Those who remembered immediately after slowly (by the end of the issue usually lol) forgot.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    The one that really stands out in my mind as far as directly addressing the immediate fallout of Crisis On Infinite Earths was Last Days of the Justice Society from writer Roy Thomas. A much-maligned book, but I love it as a proper and emotional sendoff to the first super-team in comic books.
    Excellent example. Wish they had just left it that way. With all the constant reboots and revisionism, who can keep track of the Justice Society.
    --jthree

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

In Convergence, some characters somehow went back in time and "undid" the Crisis off panel causing some kind of multiverse to be created. Or maybe not. Or it did but was then made non-canon. No one knows. Not even DC. I try not to think about Convergence too much.

Astonishing Member

Marv Wolfman has gone on record to say that he ideally wanted COIE to end with the universe being rebooted at the Dawn of Time, and no one would remember what happened. But DC apparently vetoed that because they felt that if no one remembered COIE, the event didn't 'matter'.

Fantastic Member

I wanted Superman to remember Supergirl's death. It was one of the most moving moments in comics. And Kara's sacrifice might have had longer ramification in the Man of Steel's life, and I thought it set up a great many story possibilities. Does anybody remember how Brainiac 5 reacted in the Legion of Super Heroes at the time? Oh, that's right it never happened.
    Sadly, John Byrne did his rewrite a few months later.

--jthree

Astonishing Member

One of the things that bothered me about Crisis was that it even affected Who's Who. We had Earth 2 Batman and Earth 2 Superman, but by the time they got to W, Earth 2 no longer existed --- and DC stupidly acted as if the original Wonder Woman no longer existed! Same thing happened in Secret Origins. Instead of a Wonder Woman story, we got Golden Age Fury. It was an interesting story, but I felt robbed of a retelling of the best Wonder Woman origin.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I don't understand the mechanics of the story. If the universe restarted from nothing and no one remembered the multiverse, then how does Wally's origin as the flash happen? And why wouldn't Superman remember Supergirl's sacrifice?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    I don't understand the mechanics of the story. If the universe restarted from nothing and no one remembered the multiverse, then how does Wally's origin as the flash happen? And why wouldn't Superman remember Supergirl's sacrifice?
    The idea is that Crisis still happened, but there was only one universe.

Anti-Monitor still used his Anti Matter Canon and Barry sacrificed his life to destroy it. Then there was the final fight in the Anti matter universe. In a few words, just part of issues 8 and mainly 12 from CoIE happened in the new universe.

Waid's Flash run went back to Crisis two times, once as a flashback, and the other as a what if Barry died before Crisis and AntiMonitor destroyed the universe.

Superman didn't remember Supergirl's sacrifice because it didn't happen in the new universe, since she didn't exist there.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Last Days of the Justice Society was them dealing with the "deaths" of Superman of E-2 and Huntress and Robin. Past that, I don't know.
    Assassinate Putin!