Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default The Flash #5 Preview

The Flash #5 Preview
    Writer: Si Spurrier
    Artist: Mike Deodato Jr.

Poor Jai .

This was a solid issue. Probably my favorite yet of the new run. Lots of interesting stuff going on BUT cmon already and let’s get some answers.

And also, is it me or is it obvious who Inspector Pilgrim is? Maybe I’m wrong.
    Last edited by Hol; 01-22-2024 at 11:09 PM.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Well, yeah. This has spoilers:
    serious Flash #0 vibes. And visually coding "Jai" with a big ass "Jay" hat makes sense.
    end of spoilers

Anyway, best issue from this team so far.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    The biggest problem with the character for me is that they're a rebadged Doctor Nemesis from Spurrier's X-Force & Legion of X. When you start bringing in expys from your previous work - or just plain "stock" characters - that's a biiit of a red flag,

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    The biggest problem with the character for me is that they're a rebadged Doctor Nemesis from Spurrier's X-Force & Legion of X. When you start bringing in expys from your previous work - or just plain "stock" characters - that's a biiit of a red flag,
    While I kind of see the parallel Doctor Nemesis was a pretty strongly pre-established character before Spurrier. In a Flash context he's a lot more similar to Max Mercury. Coming from out of nowhere, dropping all sorts of knowledge about the character's powers that they aren't familiar with.

All three wear a lot of white!

Frankly the archetype goes back to Phantom Stranger in comics.

BANNED

Spurrier pulled off a miracle here and made me actually care about and be interested in Jai West.

Yeah. He's always just been Irey's brother. She was the interesting one of the two. But this issue gave Jai some much needed character development.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Spurrier pulled off a miracle here and made me actually care about and be interested in Jai West.
    Not trying to pick fun or anything by saying this, but this is probably the most glowing recommendation this issue could've gotten.

I'll be honest, something about this series isn't clicking with me.

This issue was definitely the best so far, and I'm glad we're finally getting some Jai characterization after almost twenty years, but the "Flash is spreading himself too thin and is accidentally emotionally neglecting his loved ones" is a tried retread and the dour Hellblazer narration by a Hellblazer writer is kinda getting to me.

It's staying on the pull list ofc, but I hope the next arc has more showing and less telling
    Last edited by Tomkatie; 01-25-2024 at 05:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Not trying to pick fun or anything by saying this, but this is probably the most glowing recommendation this issue could've gotten.
    Nah, I get what you mean. I've been vocal about my dislike of the West kids, so me saying "I actually really cared about Jai in this" is very high praise.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 01-25-2024 at 08:46 PM.

Fantastic Member

I caught up on this run today and find myself loving it. This is right up my alley. I appreciate what Adams did as far as getting Wally here but this book just hits for me. Really enjoyed this. I have never been opposed to Wally's kids but this is the best they have ever been used. Easily

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    I caught up on this run today and find myself loving it. This is right up my alley. I appreciate what Adams did as far as getting Wally here but this book just hits for me. Really enjoyed this. I have never been opposed to Wally's kids but this is the best they have ever been used. Easily
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying this run. I loved what Adams did, but I appreciate this run giving a bit more gravity and seriousness to the Flash mythos. I agree that the kids have been written much better here than usual.

I also liked seeing Wally's temper flare up in this issue. I was beginning to think writers forgot he had one. One of the things I always liked about Wally was that he had a bit more of an edge than Barry or Jay. He got cranky, impatient and outright pissed off sometimes and it was something he struggled with. I liked that Jai said Wally is good at hiding it now, but you can see it under the surface every now and then. It was a small but nice little character moment that showed that, for as much as Wally's grown, he's still the interestingly and relatably imperfect guy I remember from the 90s.

But, yeah, I've been really loving this run.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying this run. I loved what Adams did, but I appreciate this run giving a bit more gravity and seriousness to the Flash mythos. I agree that the kids have been written much better here than usual.

I also liked seeing Wally's temper flare up in this issue. I was beginning to think writers forgot he had one. One of the things I always liked about Wally was that he had a bit more of an edge than Barry or Jay. He got cranky, impatient and outright pissed off sometimes and it was something he struggled with. I liked that Jai said Wally is good at hiding it now, but you can see it under the surface every now and then. It was a small but nice little character moment that showed that, for as much as Wally's grown, he's still the interestingly and relatably imperfect guy I remember from the 90s.

But, yeah, I've been really loving this run.
    Completely agree. This run is really great at adding dimensions to the characters and making them feel more alive and interesting.

Despite the out there concepts Spurrier has rightly built them all around the characters personalities which grounds the series in the characters while simultaneously exploring some weird interdimensional speed ****.

I think he very much gets characters like Max, Wally, Jesse, and especially Impulse. I really liked his Bart stuff. Felt more like the character I'd missed since Deathstroke took a shotgun to his leg way back when.

And I think he's the first person to really dive into Iris and Jai. This is their best showing since the Brave and the Bold issue with Doom Patrol

This is easily my favorite comic with Wally West in it since... Blitz probably! I hope it picks up steam. It's not at all what I expected from the preview with Wally and Linda that I honestly I didn't enjoy that much

I’m really enjoying this run. It can get a bit confusing, but the character work is great. And it actually feels fresh.
    I appreciate what Adams did because he finally gave Wally fans what they wanted, but Spurrier has something really special and unique here.
    I’m shocked I want to read more about the kids!
    Last edited by Factor; 01-26-2024 at 08:45 PM.