Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Universe

BANNED

I liked Star Brand (both Shooter & JRJR's version as well as Byrne's) and PAD's Justice, with an honourable mention for Giffen's contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    nobody answered me if the white event was the same from SWII. Is it??
    Nobody did because it's confusing. While the White Event was further developed by Warren Ellis in New Universal and incorporated into Hickman's own story-line (Avengers 7&8), which eventually also dealt with the beyonders, the White Event in the New Universe and the events involving the Beyonder in "Secret Wars" are separate story-lines, and the White Event was not directly incorporated into Jonathan Hickman's "Secret Wars." While both Warren Ellis and Jonathan Hickman have made significant contributions to Marvel Comics, it's essential to distinguish between the different narratives they've worked on. The New Universe, including the White Event, was a distinct imprint within Marvel, and its connections to other story-lines, including the Beyonder's involvement, were not direct.

Quote Originally Posted by comictimes View Post
    I liked Star Brand (both Shooter & JRJR's version as well as Byrne's) and PAD's Justice, with an honourable mention for Giffen's contribution.

Nobody did because it's confusing. While the White Event was further developed by Warren Ellis in New Universal and incorporated into Hickman's own story-line (Avengers 7&8), which eventually also dealt with the beyonders, the White Event in the New Universe and the events involving the Beyonder in "Secret Wars" are separate story-lines, and the White Event was not directly incorporated into Jonathan Hickman's "Secret Wars." While both Warren Ellis and Jonathan Hickman have made significant contributions to Marvel Comics, it's essential to distinguish between the different narratives they've worked on. The New Universe, including the White Event, was a distinct imprint within Marvel, and its connections to other story-lines, including the Beyonder's involvement, were not direct.
    Interesting. I haven't read Newuniversal yet, and I barely remember the stuff Hickman used aside from Star Brand. I was just curious about the Secret Wars II connection because Shooter wrote that, and developed the New Universe the same year, there is the "white event" (not described as such in the book iirc) in one of the later issues where there's a total whiteout for three or four panels at least, from when Molecule Man destroys the Beyonder's incubation machine and funnels all that energy into the barren universe the Beyonder originated from.

Then the Beyonder literally turns into the universe.

I found the quote:
    "Thus, within the new universe begat by the Beyonder's power... mortal beings live their finite lives... giving meaning to the infinity in which they dwell... Thus, finally is the desire of the one from Beyond... fulfilled!"

I get it, they are different imprints, but the fact that this issue coincided with the creation of the New Universe imprint feels too obvious to ignore. It's my impression that Shooter wanted the New Universe to literally be the Beyonder, and may have even had ideas for how to follow it up in later stories, but that clearly wasn't the case and it's never been followed up on to my knowledge, except now I have to add Newuniversal to my reading list and rejog my memory on how Hickman incorporated it.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I remember I dropped that early, so I never get to deep with the character. I have to say I liked more the reinvention than later Ellis made, more like a delusional villian who believes himself in a holy crusade. if they play con that ambigous context (is he really from other place or is he just mad?) could had been a better book I suppose.

I think these were the books than Shooter overlooked the most. Or at least it have more compromised authors.

I guess the writers went to far with the "the world outside your window" concept there.

I have to confess I don't even remember this one. Can't say if it was good or not.

Nah, this wasn't for me.

It is probably than the new universe indeed started in a bad moment. But also we must remember than it was a very personal project of Shooter, a Shooter who at that moment didn't have a big support among the creatives at Marvel and the big ones, if don't had moved to DC, didn't wanted to work on those books. A lot of circunstances conspired against the New Universe and as a whole, the initiative was a failure. Maybe, indeed in later date, and with a different focus, could have had a better chance.
    Yeah there is definitely potential with almost all of the books, but nowhere near the same grandiose as Simonson's Thor or Claremont's X-Men. Maybe the desperation of trying to make Marvel Comics successful made him more obsessive in keeping all those books consistent, and with New Universe, since it was a personal project, he was more relaxed on it since there weren't all these expensive IPs on the line.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Yeah there is definitely potential with almost all of the books, but nowhere near the same grandiose as Simonson's Thor or Claremont's X-Men. Maybe the desperation of trying to make Marvel Comics successful made him more obsessive in keeping all those books consistent, and with New Universe, since it was a personal project, he was more relaxed on it since there weren't all these expensive IPs on the line.
    The New Universe books never aspired to that, never wanted to be grandiose like Thor or X-Men. Quite the contrary. Someone said it wanted to be mundane and I think it was a pretty good description. That could had been a good way to present an universe more close to the real world, where there are no flying guys with capes living in New York.
    Also... Marvel Comics was successful enough, in part thanks to Shooter administration, even if it was excessively micromanagement or pretty tyranical as others said. He wanted the top creatives on the line but those creative said no to him and he had to use less popular creative teams, who also weren't very entusiastic to work there. The failure of the New Universe it was one of the excuses to took him out of Marvel editorial office. So I don't think Shooter was more relaxed on the New Universe, because, even if it was a personal project, he was using Marvel money to fuel it, so his head was at play with the line. Sois hadr to believe than Shooter would had been relaxed with the New Universe. He had to play with the cards he had been given and those cards weren't aces....nor Kings, Queens or Jacks, or even tens.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin