Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Your all-time favorite opening scene from a film

We can debate on what the best opening scene is from a film but what is your personal favorite? What opening scene got you the most excited about watching the rest of the film?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The opening to 2001 is a favorite of mine.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    We can debate on what the best opening scene is from a film but what is your personal favorite? What opening scene got you the most excited about watching the rest of the film?
    Kill Bill vol 1.

My brother and I were bored one day and decided to head to Wal-Mart to pick out a random movie. Found Kill Bill and picked it out. Knew nothing about Kill Bill, but knew I liked a few previous Tarantino films. We got home, and after Bill attempts to blow out the Bride's brains, he and I looked at each other and said, "What the ****?!"

Still a favorite of mine. We patiently waited for the 2nd to release in theaters.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member

Scream

Killing off Drew Berrymore the way they did is still the best scene in that entire franchise IMO.

2001 and Raiders are great choices. But how about Star Wars ANH?

For Kubrick, as much as 2001 is my favorite movie, I'd go with Clockwork Orange.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Other great openings,
    Citizen Kaine
    The Searchers
    Patton
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Villainness

Although the rest of the movie was pretty awful

X2

The sequence with Nightcrawler kicking the Secret Service’s ass lives rent free in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    X2

The sequence with Nightcrawler kicking the Secret Service’s ass lives rent free in my mind.
    Good one. The opening for the first movie with kid Magneto in a concentration camp was a powerful way to start the X-Men movies. It hovers over the entire franchise as a reminder of what the series is about.

Touch of Evil
    Last edited by Kirby101; 01-21-2024 at 08:17 PM.

Definitely, my choice would be...

The Castle of Cagliostro
    (ルパン三世 カリオストロの城)

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-21-2024 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Top Gun.

I refused to go to bed till my parents pooped in the VHS and played the opening for a time.

Haha!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Conan the Barbarian

Gives me the chills. The horror feels real, the menace is there and absolutely no hope for the villagers. Everything done with real actors, a real place and props, so no cgi. And when the head of Conans mother fell to the ground you can feel the pain of Conan. The Narrator (in my language) has a tremendous voice, too.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Blue Velvet (1986) has one of my favorite opening scenes. Hazy dream-like American dream style imagery then to dark and sinister imagery.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”