Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    That's not Storm, Ororo is in the new Ultimate Black Panther book.

This character is Maystorm, someone who idolizes Storm
    I know, she's already confirmed as a different character. lol!

I think this will be an interesting take on the franchise but I'm not sure if this is really justified as "Ultimate X-Men" with this approach.

Although it's kind of funny how Armor's armor is now literally Susan-oo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Perhaps because the writer simply liked or found her interesting and therefor pitched a story with her?
    I think it's as simple as her being a young, teen, Japanese girl.

It's the same reason she was the X-Kid in the X-Men anime.

I wasn't really interested beforehand and this interview only managed to reinforce that feeling. I hope it is good for those looking forward to the series.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Wouldn’t you just read Manga rather than Manga-lite at Marvel prices? Nice art though.

Didn't care for the interview but I love Peach Momoko's work so I'll definitely be picking this up once the collected edition is out.

Love the art. Not my first choice for an action comic, but it's so stylized, uniquely colored, expressive and pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Wouldn’t you just read Manga rather than Manga-lite at Marvel prices? Nice art though.
    Tbh I'd love to see something that blends the superhero genre with manga. I mean yeah, we have My Hero Academia. But that franchise copied comics so well, it also became corporate and safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Spectacular Member

Shounen is more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Souther View Post
    Peach Momoko isn't an X-Men fan, but that is precisely why I want to check out her work.

She isn't going to do the "same old, same old" one more time. Rather, she will try to tell new stories with a few mutant characters. That is all. Which is why this interview seems premature.

Risky, maybe, but I like it. You need to keep an open mind and leave your preemptive biases and personal tastes at the door or at least within the 616 universe. This isn't just changing the clothes and uniforms while trying to ape Claremont or whatever. It's a wholly separate idea.

There is no obligation for her to make a traditional mutant book and we are not forced to read it either.
    For me it’s a matter that it’s too different. While differences prevent something from feeling redundant, some semblance of familiarity should be maintained as to give you something to sink your hooks into and not feel alienating. This is the kind of thing that for me has gone so different that it raises the question of how this is even supposed to be X-Men beyond the fact that it stars mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Making Storm non-black is a choice.
    The art is wonderful though.
    As others have said, it's not Storm, but a legacy character. Maystorm is the first New Champions variant character to debut - Timeless indicates that a lot of the others will be creating a team with Spider-Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Why are they still pushing Armor?
    In this case, maybe because the character is Japanese, and so is the writer?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think this will be an interesting take on the franchise but I'm not sure if this is really justified as "Ultimate X-Men" with this approach.

Although it's kind of funny how Armor's armor is now literally Susan-oo.
    Hopefully it won't destroying someones rice fields, defecating in the royal palace, flaying a horse and throwing it at someone's loom.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's as simple as her being a young, teen, Japanese girl.

It's the same reason she was the X-Kid in the X-Men anime.
    Understandable, albeit my personal pick would have been Surge instead. Perhaps the Infamous games are to blame for that.

Full color manga works are extremely rare though.

Infact besides the cover, many readers will only ever see the characters and worlds colored (outside the animated adaptations) in the first 5 pages of the magazines, something which might not even make it into the compiled volumes sold in the west because of the colored pages ending up in the middle of the book where they have to be made black and white (regular readers know "those kind" of pages).

So if something genuin visualy "feels" like it could be manga (unlike the painfully crude attempts like Marvel Manga), but is in full color from start to finish, it might actualy scratch an "itch" for western readers of manga to be appealing, especially if the story and characters are interesting.

Though there is the caveat that those would be more likely to buy the trades (since they are used to "shelf fillers"), meaning it might not be reflected in the initial floppy sales that still make or break titles.

Besides that, it's a valid point, there are allready several japanese comics featuring premises very similar to that of the X-men.

With My Hero Acadamia being a recent notable example, both because of being directly inspired by world of classic american super hero comics and essentialy showcasing a world in which 90% of the human population has become mutants.
    Last edited by Grunty; 01-22-2024 at 05:33 PM.

This is a gigantic disappointment. Sigh.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

I like Peach Momoko's talent of writing and arts especially during her X-men: Demon Days. Not expecting much of a Mark Millar's Ultimate X-men energy, though, I wish for her success in her upcoming book.
    Peerless and Fearless

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

I like the art and so am curious

even if the story doesn't turn out to be for me I hope they continue to bring in new artists and writers with very different approaches to X-Men

the whole oh look another extinction event so typical of the x men books has become tiresome, so yeah I'm looking for a different approach

Chris Hassan:

Tomorrow's #XMenMonday, featuring the always-amazing Al Ewing, is ready to go. BUT, I haven't secured eXclusive art yet.

And as I've seen many kind X-Fans say the only good thing about X-Men Monday is the art, this won't be live at the usual time. So, you know, sleep late!

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!