Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default X-Men Monday #236 – Peach Momoko Talks ‘Ultimate X-Men’

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/01/22/x-...imate-x-men-2/

An eXclusive look at issue #1's interiors!

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ultimate X-Men #1 variant cover from Betsy Cola…

… and finally, Peach’s cover to Ultimate X-Men #2, featuring Maystorm.

The pages look nice, but her answers were all so vague that the interview did absolutely nothing for me.

With the exception of the art that interview was very light on material.

While I dig the general idea of fusing Armor with some nostalgia from childhood era anime I am coming into this with an X-men angle and that part seems distant. Well distant is a diplomatic word. It’s almost non existent. We have Armor and Mayastorm, which we all know is a new character anyway. I get why it might be unwise to tease other X-characters, if they do appear, but it might be smart from a marketing point of view to do it.

As it looks like now I would read this for the story and nostalgia. Just as I would pick up any other story. The mighty x-men brand with its army of characters are not there to lure me to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The pages look nice, but her answers were all so vague that the interview did absolutely nothing for me.
    Agreed. This looks like a slow burn, coming of age story. Happy for anyone excited for this, but nothing in this interview made me inclined to check it out. Ultimate Spider-man and Black Panther, however, look pretty hype. May check those out. Hopefully more X-men characters (like Storm in Ultimate BP) show up in those books, or Deniz Camp’s Ultimates.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    With the exception of the art that interview was very light on material.

While I dig the general idea of fusing Armor with some nostalgia from childhood era anime I am coming into this with an X-men angle and that part seems distant. Well distant is a diplomatic word. It’s almost non existent. We have Armor and Mayastorm, which we all know is a new character anyway. I get why it might be unwise to tease other X-characters, if they do appear, but it might be smart from a marketing point of view to do it.

As it looks like now I would read this for the story and nostalgia. Just as I would pick up any other story. The mighty x-men brand with its army of characters are not there to lure me to buy.
    I feel like I’m in a similar boat. I think the anime fan is me is more intrigued than the X-Men fan. Hearing that Peach doesn’t seem to have a strong grasp on the previous material is a little disheartening, only because it’s really difficult to subvert and reinvent a property like X-Men without understanding it’s core.

That doesn’t mean that this interpretation won’t be unique and interesting, but I can see it not “feeling like X-Men.” It’s a very different approach from Ultimate Spider-Man which seems intimately aware of the Spider-Man mythos even as it makes huge changes.

Making Storm non-black is a choice.
    The art is wonderful though.

Since when is Hisako's "armor" sentient? I've always thought it was just an extension or her body, but here it's acting kind of like Madara's Susano'o (Naruto). Actually it looks like it's acting on its own.
    Last edited by Psych1c; 01-28-2024 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Making Storm non-black is a choice.
    The art is wonderful though.
    Yeah, pretty weird. But at least she’s not outright replacing Storm. Ororo will appear in Ultimate BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yeah, pretty weird. But at least she’s not outright replacing Storm. Ororo will appear in Ultimate BP.
    Ah ok that reassures me a bit. They could have used Mach (3 I think), from the former Ultimate universe, as she was I think japanese ? And had interesting powers.

I should check the other Ultimate previews maybe. I must admit the first Ultimate issue did nothing to sell me on the new universe.
    Last edited by Nicoclaws; 01-22-2024 at 07:21 AM.

Eh. I'd rather have a more traditional approach to ultimate x-men. This looks more momoko-verse than X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Psych1c View Post
    Since when is Hisako's "armor" sentient? I've always thought it was just an extension or her body, but here it's acting kind of like Madara's Susano'o (Naruto). Actually it looks like it's acting own its on.
    Anything goes in the new Ultimate universe.

And yeah that's Maystorm, she's a new character created when they were putting out those variant covers of newly imagined "New Champions", kinda like sidekicks to known heroes. She was on the variant for X-Men #27.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Absolutely and vehemently...N. O!!!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Maybe even too difficult for another writer to follow up after she’s done. Not really feeling it. Really want us to feel more like Hickman Spider-Man.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I've always been a fan of Peach, her art is so cute it's like a cute version of Junji Ito.

I am definitely down for this title.

I'm curious if the differing art styles is to signify the difference in culture and location in the various Ultimate books and to avoid a "house style."

This makes me really curious about the Black Panther and future Ultimates book and how their art is going to be.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 01-22-2024 at 09:04 AM.