Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The only one posting from a place of ignorance (and frankly racism) is you. Correlation does not equal causation. So even if it's factually correct that PICs began being nominated during the 1950s, that doesn't mean it was based on "politics" and not merit. In fact, given the politics of the time, those POC actors likely had to be at least twice as good as their contemporaries in order to get nominated in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    I think what he's saying and I am close to him what with being him and all is that he doesn't think any of you have ever bothered to watch any of these performances or films. And that I think many of you are speaking from a place of politics rather than experience.

Hollywood started awarding and nominating POC in the 50's on a regular basis. I'm sorry that you wish to just ignore that that happened. My current point which seems to be lost on many of you is that the current system isn't really that much better. You could even make the case that it's kinda of worse.

The Oscars are basically trifecta of three issues...money, politics, and power. For the last 20 years or so...a full on generation we have a fairly accurate sample size of award winners. It's a very diverse field...on the surface. Almost every year the winning film serves some sort of narative for typically marginalized people. The problem is because many of these filmmakers weren't ever established as legitimate creators once they win their awards they are then marginalized. To use an analogy the Oscars are turning into the Best New Artist Award at the Grammy's. The studios got the award then decide to just move on to the next one to something different.

A film which is now 10 years old...and in those 10 years since she made 1 film. Detroit which was a race film which as a white woman she likely couldn't make today. Where's Chloe Zhao's next film? How about Jane Champion...nothing in production Sian Hater whats she been up to since CODA won. Boon Joon-Yi Oscar followup is coming out in 8 weeks...how do you think that films going to do coming out the weekend after Ghostbusters and the same time as Godzilla and King Kong. Alfonso Cauron released classic after classic you might see the reboot of his Harry Potter film before you see another film from him. Guilermo Del Toro...a genius filmmaker who has to work for Netflix a company that will not release films theatrically and recently lost it's prestige producer.

How many people of the 20 actors are white, straight, American and we'll say Christian as opposed to not Jewish because that sounds bad. The divisions are not solely racial, regional voting lines and religious voting lines also seem to exist. What's going to happen 20 years from now when people look back at the names of the winners, and try and dive into the filmographies of these artists and they end up finding...what.
    An analysis of African-American winners and nominees would indicate that Hollywood was not nominating and awarding minorities at anything close to their share of the population.

Any issues Bigelow has making films post-Detroit are not about her Oscar win.
    Prestige films in general struggle with box office. Boon Joon-Yi's film isn't going to do worse opening weekend than if he didn't have an Oscar. There are plenty of times in the past when Best Director goes to someone who didn't have a great career later and/ or isn't prolific. It's not a new thing. See Robert Redford, James Brooks, and Michael Cimino.

The main difference is that we don't know how recent winners will follow up their big projects. Jane Campion has made two films in the previous 20 years (partially because she did two mini-series) so it's not like she was prolific before. Zhao's problems would be more about the Eternals, although a project about Shakespeare with Paul Mescal and Jessie Buckley was just announced. Del Toro's working on his third film after his Oscar win.

Of the twenty nominees this year, one is a gay black man, four are straight and black, one is a Native American who identifies as outside the gender binary, one is a straight latina woman, one is a white lesbian. That leaves 11 performances by straight white people, one of whom (Robert Downey Jr) is partially Jewish.

Looking at the previous year, 13 straight white people were nominated for performances along with three straight Asian actors, one queer Asian actress, two straight African-Americans, and one straight Cuban actress. Judd Hirsch is Jewish. Jamie Lee Curtis is half-Jewish. Michelle Williams raises her children Jewish.

I don't see any indication of bias against straight, white gentiles among the nominees.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 01-30-2024 at 08:46 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The only one posting from a place of ignorance (and frankly racism) is you. Correlation does not equal causation. So even if it's factually correct that PICs began being nominated during the 1950s, that doesn't mean it was based on "politics" and not merit. In fact, given the politics of the time, those POC actors likely had to be at least twice as good as their contemporaries in order to get nominated in the first place.
    I notice you didn't mention that you actually saw some of those award winning performances from the 50's. I think speaking on things you don't with certainty seems like willfull ignorance to me. Now moving onto Mister Mets...

I notice you didn't mention that you actually saw some of those award winning performances from the 50's. I think speaking on things you don't with certainty seems like willfull ignorance to me. Now moving onto Mister Mets...
    Because it's irrelevant to the point. Neither you nor I were in the panel of voters for the Academy so our subjective opinions on the acting skill in them doesn't matter. What is a fact, however, is the rampant racism present during the time, which makes your assertion laughable if it weren't also so offensive.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    An analysis of African-American winners and nominees would indicate that Hollywood was not nominating and awarding minorities at anything close to their share of the population.
    Minorities aren't just African American...it's kinda weird how your brain just goes to one type minority.

Any issues Bigelow has making films post-Detroit are not about her Oscar win.
    Prestige films in general struggle with box office. Boon Joon-Yi's film isn't going to do worse opening weekend than if he didn't have an Oscar. There are plenty of times in the past when Best Director goes to someone who didn't have a great career later and/ or isn't prolific. It's not a new thing. See Robert Redford, James Brooks, and Michael Cimino.
    Okay so you are making this statement and then you use the examples of James L Brooks and Robert Redford. They made classic prestige pictures post their win. I mean sure they were a little busy running the Sundance Film Festival and launching the Simpsons. But A River Runs Through it, Quiz Show, Broadcast News, As Good As it Gets...those weren't little movies those Oscar contending films. Cimino is a legendary failure because he's the exception to the rule.

The main difference is that we don't know how recent winners will follow up their big projects. Jane Campion has made two films in the previous 20 years (partially because she did two mini-series) so it's not like she was prolific before. Zhao's problems would be more about the Eternals, although a project about Shakespeare with Paul Mescal and Jessie Buckley was just announced. Del Toro's working on his third film after his Oscar win.
    We're talking about over 10 years I don't think you can just sit back...well hold on let's wait and see what happens. The old system was working film makers made films after a couple hits they would win and then they would go on to make more movies. What we don't know is how Del Toro's Netflix deal is going to shake out.

Of the twenty nominees this year, one is a gay black man, four are straight and black, one is a Native American who identifies as outside the gender binary, one is a straight latina woman, one is a white lesbian. That leaves 11 performances by straight white people, one of whom (Robert Downey Jr) is partially Jewish.
    You glossed over the American part because of those 11 half are immigrants (Gosling, Blunt, Murphy, Mulligan, Huller)

Looking at the previous year, 13 straight white people were nominated for performances along with three straight Asian actors, one queer Asian actress, two straight African-Americans, and one straight Cuban actress. Judd Hirsch is Jewish. Jamie Lee Curtis is half-Jewish. Michelle Williams raises her children Jewish.
    Only 3 of those straight white people were from the US (Gleeson, Butler, Williams) the other 10 were from other countries.

So that would be 9 out of 40 who would represent the majority of the US who were nominated.

Fantastic Member

Because it's irrelevant to the point. Neither you nor I were in the panel of voters for the Academy so our subjective opinions on the acting skill in them doesn't matter. What is a fact, however, is the rampant racism present during the time, which makes your assertion laughable if it weren't also so offensive.
    Wow that is some mighty goal post moving there buddy. I can't have an opinion over the films and performances I saw because I wasn't a voter...but you can have an opinion having not seen the films. Here's a thought maybe just maybe you should watch TCM this month so you can actually know what you are talking about. Emperor Jones is great, The Learning Tree is great, Lady Sings the Blues is great.

Wow that is some mighty goal post moving there buddy. I can't have an opinion over the films and performances I saw because I wasn't a voter...but you can have an opinion having not seen the films. Here's a thought maybe just maybe you should watch TCM this month so you can actually know what you are talking about. Emperor Jones is great, The Learning Tree is great, Lady Sings the Blues is great.
    You can certainly have an opinion. It's just your opinion is based on racist rhetoric. But do you.

Fantastic Member

You can certainly have an opinion. It's just your opinion is based on racist rhetoric. But do you.
    My opinions are on actually watching the movies, documentaries, knowing the artists. People like you want to have opinions on things but you don't do the work to know what you are talking about. It's literally the definition of hubris.

Minorities aren't just African American...it's kinda weird how your brain just goes to one type minority.

Okay so you are making this statement and then you use the examples of James L Brooks and Robert Redford. They made classic prestige pictures post their win. I mean sure they were a little busy running the Sundance Film Festival and launching the Simpsons. But A River Runs Through it, Quiz Show, Broadcast News, As Good As it Gets...those weren't little movies those Oscar contending films. Cimino is a legendary failure because he's the exception to the rule.

We're talking about over 10 years I don't think you can just sit back...well hold on let's wait and see what happens. The old system was working film makers made films after a couple hits they would win and then they would go on to make more movies. What we don't know is how Del Toro's Netflix deal is going to shake out.

You glossed over the American part because of those 11 half are immigrants (Gosling, Blunt, Murphy, Mulligan, Huller)

Only 3 of those straight white people were from the US (Gleeson, Butler, Williams) the other 10 were from other countries.

So that would be 9 out of 40 who would represent the majority of the US who were nominated.
    It was easier for me to find information about African-American representation than a more specific diversity quota.
    Hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans and Native Americans are also underrepresented among Oscar nominees.

I don't get why it matters whether a white actor is American, Canadian, or German. That doesn't seem to address anyone's point.

My opinions are on actually watching the movies, documentaries, knowing the artists. People like you want to have opinions on things but you don't do the work to know what you are talking about. It's literally the definition of hubris.
    You seem to be implying an argument that you haven't directly stated on why it's necessary to have see those particular films.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

I don't get why it matters whether a white actor is American, Canadian, or German. That doesn't seem to address anyone's point.

You seem to be implying an argument that you haven't directly stated on why it's necessary to have see those particular films.
    Well if you don't understand the impact of voting blocks in the Oscars...then I don't know what you want me to say. You could make the argument that the system has gotten worse since the norms of the awards have changed. The artists are being marginalized post award and the award has lost it value so whatever good if might have meant to win the award that is going away.

The SAG (Screen Actors Guild) Awards were yesterday.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/24/enter...ist/index.html

Oppenheimer won Best Cast (their version of Best Screenplay), Best Actor (Cilian Murphy) and Best Supporting Actor (Robert Downey Jr)

Lily Gladstone won Best Actress for Killers of the Flower Moon. Da’Vine Joy Randolph won Best Supporting Actor for the Holdovers.

Nolan had won for Best Director at the Directors Guild Awards.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/dga-awa...-3-1235821479/

The only difference with last week's BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) awards was that Emma Stone won Poor Things there.

https://www.bafta.org/film/awards/20...ations-winners

Nolan, Downey Jr and Randolph have been the heavy favorites in their category throughout the awards.
    They've won the Golden Globes, Critics Choice, BAFTA and their Union.

The most competitive major race seems to be Best Actress between Emma Stone and Lily Gladstone (with Sandra Hüller as a potential spoiler for Anatomy of a Fall.) Both Stone and Gladstone won competing Golden Globes. Stone won Critics Choice.

With the BAFTA and SAG awards, Murphy seems to be the favorite for Best Actor. Paul Giamatti did win a Critics Choice award and the Comedy lead actor Golden Globe.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

The best actress race is one of the tighter ones I've seen.

Before now, it seemed that Emma Stone was the frontrunner but with Lily Gladstone winning the SAG award, it's even tighter than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The best actress race is one of the tighter ones I've seen.

Before now, it seemed that Emma Stone was the frontrunner but with Lily Gladstone winning the SAG award, it's even tighter than before.
    Best Actress is weird.

Sometimes it's pretty much locked up.

Jennifer Lawrence, Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine), Julianne Moore, Brie Larson, Emma Stone (La La Land), Frances McDormand (Three Billboards) and Renee Zelwegger (Judy) pretty much had it locked up.

Sometimes it's competitive, especially in recent years.
    Olivia Colman beat out Glenn Close in a upset (and the sense was that Lady Gaga was the potential spoiler)
    Frances McDormand had a modest upset when she won for Nomadland over Viola Davis and Carey Mulligan.
    Jessica Chastain was a moderate favorite when she won over Nicole Kidman
    Michelle Yeoh was a moderate favorite when she won over Cate Blanchett.

There also isn't a consistent precedent.
    In two cases, the race goes to someone who hadn't won before, which would be good news for Gladstone.
    But that didn't keep McDormand from getting a third Oscar.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Glad Paul Giamatti got a nomination. Always liked him. Though, I doubt he'll win.

oscars is sunday.