Ultimate Member

Default Do internet/cable companies want us to cut the cord?

So my contract is up, and I'm debating what to do.

Basically, I don't wanna give up my DVR, and I like having access to local networks for news and such. I know I pay too much, and now the cable company wants me to pay more.

Before I decide on how to proceed, I'd kinda like to know what their mindset is to inform my decision. Are the cable companies trying to get everyone to streaming?

I'd say that the idea that there is a mindset is kinda flawed.

What are the cable companies going to do if not ride out being cable companies?

It's like Blockbuster.

Sure, there was a time when the writing was on the wall.

If that's the case, why not just ride it out until doing so no longer makes economic sense?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Basically, I don't wanna give up my DVR, and I like having access to local networks for news and such. I know I pay too much, and now the cable company wants me to pay more.

Before I decide on how to proceed, I'd kinda like to know what their mindset is to inform my decision. Are the cable companies trying to get everyone to streaming?

I have Hulu live and its great. If you have good internet service I cant understand why you wouldn't just do Hulu live, or sling where you get a ton of channels without all the cable nonsense.

We use hulu live also. Let's you record and save shows for a year also. Roku has free streaming channels also and you got stuff like tubi and pluto tv for free with ads.

At least as far as where I'm located, the cable companies are the same as the internet providers. Even if you cut the cord you're still giving your money to the same companies since they're the ones that provide the internet access.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

You don't need cable for any of that. Just get Hulu Live or YouTube TV and you'll have access to local programming, as well as multiple cable channels.

Here is a vs video of them. You have over 4 or 5 digital cable streamers now.

Note sling is cheap but has no local channels.

Or grab some rabbit ears and get all the locals for free. Well, that is if you can get a signal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    You don't need cable for any of that. Just get Hulu Live or YouTube TV and you'll have access to local programming, as well as multiple cable channels.

Yea you can get HULU live with Disney plus and Espn plus for like 80 bucks a month. Its a deal. It has all the local channels, all the major news Channels, most of the big sports channels, and various other channels. I think its over 70 stations now, and Disney plus and ESPN plus which has tons of programing. If you have cable now, and have good internet access your nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea you can get HULU live with Disney plus and Espn plus for like 80 bucks a month. Its a deal. It has all the local channels, all the major news Channels, most of the big sports channels, and various other channels. I think its over 70 stations now, and Disney plus and ESPN plus which has tons of programing. If you have cable now, and have good internet access your nuts.
    Exactly. That's the package I have and we also have Netflix, Prime, Max and Peacock. Still paying less than I would with cable.