Hoping 2024 will be Awesome for X-Man

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Bit of behind the scenes info from X-Men Archives Sketchbook.

'X-Man as Apocalypse'
    Illustrated by Lenil Yu

'In its earliest stages, the "Twelve" storyline didn't end with Cyclops being bonded forever with Apocalypse. Instead, it ended with X-Man (Nate Grey, the genetically engineered son of Scott Summers and Jean Grey from the "Age of Apocalypse") being absorbed into Apocalypse, resulting in an all-new powerful villain.'

IMG_20240201_205014.jpg

I'm glad that didn't happen. That "Twelve" storyline went sure through a lot of changes. When it was originally hinted at, it included Moonstar and Cannonball, who were no where around during the final storyline, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I'm glad that didn't happen. That "Twelve" storyline went sure through a lot of changes. When it was originally hinted at, it included Moonstar and Cannonball, who were no where around during the final storyline, IIRC.
    I know, right?! Initially, even Franklin Richards was among the candidates...
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! Initially, even Franklin Richards was among the candidates...
    This is the perfect example of why retcons that contradict the original telling should not be allowed in serious debate unless said retcon can be explained as a "No-Prize" which brings continuity back to a respectable "Suspension of Belief" level

So years ago I drew this fan art of Nate's 'evolution' for a contest over on Comic Vine
    d3e0w2e-5ffff345-04f0-49cb-a317-3ad192ead8d0.jpg
    And recently I've been in the mood to redraw/update it, probably increasing the number of Nates to 6 or 8.
    Any suggestions for the additional costumes or for replacing any of the current ones?

Really love the art. Curious to know which pose you would add to not disrupt the fluidity of the movement you managed to capture so far. Perhaps something should fit between the 2 and 3?

The most recent one (leading to Age of X-Man) with long hair and white/ivory robe? Not much fan of that era of his, but the look itself was good?
    My mind is fuzzy ATM but the costume he got during his solo is the first one on the left of your art (with just shorter hair), right? My favourite - I think under the pen of the artist who drew him in the year before The Twelve storyline Nate was the best looking.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    According to Joe Casey, Cable was always supposed to face down Apocalypse (whether with Nate or not I don't know), and finally kill him in #75. When Marvel told him that they had different plans to drag the story out, he bounced. That meant that Jose' Ladronn's wonderous Kirbyesque art was replaced with Rob Liefeld's. Sigh. I loved X-Man especially when he joined the 616. Always would pick up the latest issue from my neighborhood Diary Mart though by the time of The Twelve some of the storytelling choices made me leave. But up to around issue #45 or so, it was a great comic