Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    If anything I think the Reboot version of Triplicate Girl (renamed Triad) was the best version. All of her bodies had their own personalitys. One was bolder, one was more quite and shy, and the middle was a mix of both. They treated each other as sisters and not just duplicates.
    ^^^Oh I agree; that was a great way to go w. the three of her version.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I do want to give and honorable mention to Live Wires death in the end of Legion Lost. The way Garth made a point to quite the team before going to his death because Legionaries don't kill and the team meant so much to him he didn't want to dishonor the team knowing he was about to die and kill the insane Element Lad is touching. With such an epic and touching death I wish they had kept him dead.

3754990-03.jpg

Blok in the 5yl
    Last edited by joebleau; 01-28-2024 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    It's not as cool as you may think. Because Cargg was populated only by Luornu's duplicates. Three of them got bored and left -- and that was basically Triad. They could combine and separate, but couldn't create multiples. I'm sure Waid thought he had brilliant ideas on the Threeboot, but the stories just weren't that great.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Waid was just being too clever for his own good. Like Colossal Boy coming from a race of giants and his actual power was being able to shrink to normal human size.
    I never saw why Waid couldn't, with a little tweaking, have done his youth group story-line with the Post ZH Legion. I found that Threeboot really unnecessay and didn't find his changes all that clever. Not at all, actually.

If anything I think the Reboot version of Triplicate Girl (renamed Triad) was the best version. All of her bodies had their own personalitys. One was bolder, one was more quite and shy, and the middle was a mix of both. They treated each other as sisters and not just duplicates.
    I agree. One of the the, IMHO, lamest Legionnaires of all became one of the best characters of the series.

I do want to give and honorable mention to Live Wires death in the end of Legion Lost. The way Garth made a point to quite the team before going to his death because Legionaries don't kill and the team meant so much to him he didn't want to dishonor the team knowing he was about to die and kill the insane Element Lad is touching. With such an epic and touching death I wish they had kept him dead.

Brilliant. He also tricked Jo to drop his invulnerability, so that he could stun him and Cham with his lightning, preventing them from interfering with his sacrifice. A great scene to conclude a great series.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Triad was interesting and had one of the best outfits of that era. I was not, however, a fan of all the members having a shared design via vertical stripe and clunky Legion belt. I do have a personal preference for Duo Damsel -- probably because of her role in two Legion classics that introduced Computo and Modru.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I never saw why Waid couldn't, with a little tweaking, have done his youth group story-line with the Post ZH Legion. I found that Threeboot really unnecessay and didn't find his changes all that clever. Not at all, actually.

Peace
    I agreee. Threeboot was really kunnecesary and it came from nowhere when the Reboot could had worked with Waid at helm.
    Why did Waod rebpoted then? From what I have learned, ot was an editorial imposition. Not something Waid would asked for, but something he was asked to do. I remember have read years ago than Waod affirmed he had to rewprk his idea for a reboot as that was asked from the esitprial, so he played along.
    I suppose that also affected isi desicion to leave DC when the whole Ligjtning saga was green lighted and he was still working on the tjreeboot.
    Now I personally beņieve ot was DiDio who pushed for a perpetual teen Legion. Call it a hunch.
    Also, does anyone else remember the death of Mon-El at the end of the magic wars or the death of pocket universe Superboy?
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 01-30-2024 at 01:15 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    3754990-03.jpg

Blok in the 5yl
    Yeah, that was heartbreaking.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    His change were odd. Daxam was being admitted to the United Planets in the first few issues, and then there was some genocidal war with Trom and the planet was lifeless? I mean, pick a lane, dude.

Colossal Boy being from a race of people whose city was enlarged into giants by a 'Reverse Brainiac' on the other hand, was hilarious to me.

Similarly, the idea that Imskians (a shrunken people, living in tiny cities) had some connection to the Brainiac-descended (famous for shrinking people, and cities) Coluans? That was kinda cool, and ties together elements from the DC/Legion setting that seem like they'd logically tie together.

Light Lass being considered a powerhouse, with her 'weaker' anti-gravity powers, was a nice touch, as well. Imra's people being more or less mute, because they haven't had any reason to speak out loud for generations, also logical.

But Phantom Girl not actually phasing, but transferring her mass to her home dimension, where there are *also* walls and people and terrain, that could block her path and make her unable to 'phase' through something in this world, because there's something on that side as well? Does not work. Didn't really care for the change to Lu, or the radical weakening of Jan (which, again, was handled inconsistently. He had to touch things at first, and then didn't, the hot second the writer wanted him creating something at range), or Shady's unspecific powers (was she like classic Shady 'Lights Out Lass' who only made intangible darkness, or like Reboot Umbra who had tangible 'darkforce?' It *seemed* like the former, but in the brawl between Legionnaires over the Cosmic Boy / Brainiac 5 leadership bickering, she blasted Sun Boy with a blot of 'shadows' that made him double over from the impact as if he'd been physically struck by something! But then she mysteriously didn't seem to ever have that power again?).

In other words, a whole lotta choices I didn't like, and only a few I did.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 01-31-2024 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    His change were odd. Daxam was being admitted to the United Planets in the first few issues, and then there was some genocidal war with Trom and the planet was lifeless? I mean, pick a lane, dude.

Colossal Boy being from a race of people whose city was enlarged into giants by a 'Reverse Brainiac' on the other hand, was hilarious to me.

Similarly, the idea that Imskians (a shrunken people, living in tiny cities) had some connection to the Brainiac-descended (famous for shrinking people, and cities) Coluans? That was kinda cool, and ties together elements from the DC/Legion setting that seem like they'd logically tie together.

Light Lass being considered a powerhouse, with her 'weaker' anti-gravity powers, was a nice touch, as well. Imra's people being more or less mute, because they haven't had any reason to speak out loud for generations, also logical.

But Phantom Girl not actually phasing, but transferring her mass to her home dimension, where there are *also* walls and people and terrain, that could block her path and make her unable to 'phase' through something in this world, because there's something on that side as well? Does not work. Didn't really care for the change to Lu, or the radical weakening of Jan (which, again, was handled inconsistently. He had to touch things at first, and then didn't, the hot second the writer wanted him creating something at range), or Shady's unspecific powers (was she like classic Shady 'Lights Out Lass' who only made intangible darkness, or like Reboot Umbra who had tangible 'darkforce?' It *seemed* like the former, but in the brawl between Legionnaires over the Cosmic Boy / Brainiac 5 leadership bickering, she blasted Sun Boy with a blot of 'shadows' that made him double over from the impact as if he'd been physically struck by something! But then she mysteriously didn't seem to ever have that power again?).

There were hit and misses, but I think a lot of them could had ben easly adapted to the reboot without the need of another reboot.

Do anyone consider the death fo Threeboot Dream Girl being sad?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Actually, one of the things that most bothered me, and I know I might be part of a small minority here, was the return of the whole Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass codenames. I actually applauded the creativity of the new codenames in the Legionnaires and Post-ZH reboot Legion. Umbra, Alchemist, Apparition, Gossamer, Spark, Triad, Inferno, Leviathan, etc...were all, IMHO, a step up.

Peace

She was far from a favorite Legionnaire but I found Monstress' death as sad as it was shocking. Recently re-read LEGION LOST and it remains a favorite LOSH story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    She was far from a favorite Legionnaire but I found Monstress' death as sad as it was shocking. Recently re-read LEGION LOST and it remains a favorite LOSH story.
    I liked her because the old guard Legionnaires can get a bit grim and serious. They've been through a lot, so it's totally understandable they wouldn't be all hugs and puppies, but Candi's enthusiasm and sunny disposition were a breath of fresh air. (Comet Queen was a different attempt at something like that, whom I did not like...)

Power wise, she was a bit dull. Strong tough people are kind of a dime a dozen on this team, particularly when the Kryptonians and Daxamites (who have all that *and* a bunch of other powers!) are involved. If she kept the same body type, but had a more unique powerset, I think I would have liked her even more! (Although the Reboot was great for introducing lady Legionnaires with less 'point imperiously and stay out of melee' powers, like XS, Andromeda, Thunder and Monstress, as opposed to some of the less punch-y classic powers like telepathy, precognition, shrinking, tracking, etc.)

One of the things I wanted to see developed in the Threeboot was the idea of a Dream Boy replacing Dream Girl (whose death didn't really faze me, she didn't feel like 'my' Dreamy, and I knew from chatter that the run was ending ahead of schedule anyway, with the last couple issues abandoned completely and the arc wrapped up I think three issues early in an, IMO, very unsatisfying manner).

Precognition (and various other psychic or 'soft' powers, like empathy or healing or telepathy or psychometry) is often a 'girl power' in comics, so seeing a dude with that power intrigued me. Just as I like to see lady heroes defy expectations and go all She-Hulk, I also like the idea of male heroes with less macho power-sets, like Daredevil with the amazing super-power of being slightly less blind than most blind dudes.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 02-02-2024 at 03:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I did like the idea they toyed with where Dream Girl could go into a sleeplike state and then use her precog powers to actually fight being able to see her openents moves just before they made them. I wish they had done more with that.

again in the 5YL

number 38

the death of Earth

The Ballad of Hate Face: