Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    So I enjoyed the issue, but I'm not convinced why Storm feels she needs to get Magneto now. I guess the dream is her final pushing point..but Storm refused to die when there were resurrection protocols. Now she just blindly jumps into afterlife not knowing what or how hoping to find Max?

And what book did Storm get a ship from Blue Marvel before?
    Wait... Why has Ororo gone dimension-hopping to retrieve a man who she knows full well went to his death leaving expressed instructions to not be resurrected again?

Astonishing Member

Because she felt that the dream was no ordinary dream and was actually a call from him in the afterlife expressing that he had changed his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Wait... Why has Ororo gone dimension-hopping to retrieve a man who she knows full well went to his death leaving expressed instructions to not be resurrected again?
    My understanding of the dream she had is that something has gone wrong.

Also it's not like she finds him and yanks him back against his will, if anything it probably comes down to her convincing him to come back of his own free will.
    Which admittedly i hope Ewing pulls of because i have stated before he has been the one of the select few who keep me engaged in the X-men line up as everything else has gone to crap in one form or another.

So I enjoyed the issue, but I'm not convinced why Storm feels she needs to get Magneto now. I guess the dream is her final pushing point..but Storm refused to die when there were resurrection protocols. Now she just blindly jumps into afterlife not knowing what or how hoping to find Max?

With it’s many callbacks, this issue often had me thinking about Storm’s first meeting with Yukio. And in those issues she expressed a willingness to face death stating, “Oh well, you only die once.” While she has certainly fought tough and nail to stay alive in this era, I also believe that for the right person and cause she’d happily stair death in the face.

Which brings me to my favorite aspect of this issue… it presents Ororo as a flawed character. I hear so many complaints about Storm being this perfect character that can do no wrong (aka she’s boring), and that’s just never seemed true to me considering that Red literally started with her acknowledging her missteps by establishing a throne in Arakko. In this issue we clearly see that Ororo is in many ways out of her depth here and perhaps acting a bit selfishly. She DOESN’T have all the answers and I think it’s amazing that we get to go in this journey with her.

Also have to shout out how throughly I’m impressed by Luciano Vecchio (and Curiel on coloring). I’ve never seen such an insane jump in quality.

Re-posting my thoughts here from the Storm thread...

The Good
    I LOVED EVERYTHING! Looking back over the last few years the writer, art, and colorist teams have been pretty amazing. Ewing really got this story off to a great start. I love that her Arrako family with Craig, Looloo, Cobb, & Lactuca really shows how much she has embraced outside of her time with the X-Men. This opening really illustrates how far Storm has come since starting her time on Arakko in SWORD, through Red, and now RoM. The relationships she's forged on Arakko really have so much potential for so much story for her long term. And Ewing is so well in tuned with the canon. I can't say it enough that is so refreshing to have a writer that values the history and components of their casts' experience, and what really keep readers connected to why we love the characters we do. I love where Ewing has gone so far. Like, however her magic and her understanding of it will continue to grow and manifest over the course of this book, she really seems to be connecting with her inner witch. How bad-a$$ to have her recognize that her dream wasn't really a dream. It takes me back to the time a powerless Storm could still sense the Dire Wraiths when they were approaching her and Forge under a cloak of invisibility. And Storm's history with Magneto is complicated. At one time an enemy, another a headmaster and co-White King of the Hellfire Club, to lukewarm colleagues, and then strong comrades in arms. I like the complexity of their relationship and there is a whole new aspect of storytelling from that perspective. It will be interesting to see if this changes their relationship dynamics during and after RoM. Her belief that he is what the mutants need, and not just to overcome Orchis. This has me really looking forward to next issue. Now Storm vs Tarn round 2 ! EPIC! I mean he really should have learned NOT to monologue with Storm, or ask her questions lol. She ended her reply with a MASSIVE exclamation point!!! Loved it.

Her reconnection with Ashake was awesome. I have always wanted to see her explored more and we got a nice taste of her here. She is clearly a very powerful witch and to have lived (on whatever plane) for thousands of years. I loved the tarot and the symbolism of magic that is being explored. And it feels unique in comparison to other popular magic users in the MU. Here's to hoping that if Ororo is in fact an "avatar of life" at her core that she gains that same longevity as Genesis in the physical world. And I wonder if there is more to the words/the interests of the Dominion in Storm and Magneto. Ewing is definitely laying down a foundation for some long term Storm stories. And hell yes to Ororo getting tested against cosmic level opposition.

The Bad
    Nothing. if anything we needed more pages. So many were sacrificed in Red that I hope all of the issues of this mini stay 30+ at least.

20/10

This I hope to see as the story moves on, besides the amazing storytelling for Ororo and Magneto, would be to see:

- Who all now comprise the GR
    - If Lodus and Kobak officially becomes a thing
    - What life on Arakko is like post the Genesis War
    - What happens with Ironfire and his bromance with White Sword
    - Does Storm and/or Magneto lose their seat on the GR for Storm breaking their promise to accept a life that ends. If they keep their seats is there a price for her actions?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Did Storm and the X-Men interact with Ewing's Defenders before this?
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It was in X-Men Gold #17

Like Dracula, Doom and so many other Despots who stood before Storm in the past, we are enthralled.
    This was well worth the price, imho.

Can anyone confirm whether Luciano Vecchio will continue as the interior artist for the remaining issues?

Incredible Member

Ewing is great as always, but so far I have the same feeling about this as I do Oppenheimer - thoroughly impressed by the achievement, the craft, and the excellence, but find myself merely appreciating it on the intellectual level as opposed to feeling more strongly about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Like Dracula, Doom and so many other Despots who stood before Storm in the past, we are enthralled.
    This was well worth the price, imho.

Can anyone confirm whether Luciano Vecchio will continue as the interior artist for the remaining issues?
    Enthralled indeed, my friend.

The solicitations and Marvel.com listings of future issues show Luciano as the artist for the whole series. Hopefully that remains the case!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    He sensed something from him, but even so she makes it clear she'll ask him vs just dragging him back.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Ewing is great as always, but so far I have the same feeling about this as I do Oppenheimer - thoroughly impressed by the achievement, the craft, and the excellence, but find myself merely appreciating it on the intellectual level as opposed to feeling more strongly about it.
    Sounds like my feelings.

But I felt in many ways the same after Immortal Hulk too. He didn’t make we feel more for any character there. When Ewing connects he seems to hit hard, as evident by many posters here. I have read many issues by him but so far there is nothing that really makes me connect with his characters. I can admire his work on many levels but other writers make me feel, he just hasn’t so far.

I’ll forever have nightmares about Tarn’s wet crotch.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    It was in X-Men Gold #17
    thanks. I may have to bear rereading that awful run to see what actually happened.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I don’t think so.

In fact I don’t ever remember Storm interacting with Blue Marvel…..like EVER.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.