Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm not a great fan of how overpowered Ewing's Storm is
    But since it's a very symbolic and metalingistic story, I'll overlook Ororo's magic powers.
    Actually it reminded me of that good oniric issues classic CC used to write.

I just don't buy this close friendship between Magneto and her.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    But since it's a very symbolic and metalingistic story, I'll overlook Ororo's magic powers.

I can, not in the sense that she and Kitty are friends, but war buddies (which has its own nuances and intimacies). During and just before the mutant massacre, when Magneto was trying to redeem himself while Storm was exploring her dark side, I think they had a mutual respect -- if for no other reason than surviving the morlock incident. It's ebbed and flowed, but I saw their relationship in Red as that x 1000.

Mighty Member

Part 1

Let's go, this issue is everything.

I have a take on this that examines the Journey Storm is taking from the perspective of a mystic. Others have spoken about the Kabbalistic spheres and her journey through the Sephiroth. But I am going to examine this from Storm's perspective. This whole journey is one big giant NDE. An NDE is a near-death experience. There are many versions of this throughout human history. It can be light and easy or absolutely painful. It's extremely personal and devastating in its ability to provide a mirror to the entity of the person going through it. Death is the beginning (Storm jumping into the waiting room). The journeyperson will experience a guide (Ashake) or awareness (Storm's desire to save Max) driving them, dark gods (the 8 dominions), entities (Tarn) designed to stop her from saving Max, multiple dimensional planes of existence (the waiting room, the Tower, Dominion space, judgment.) The end goal is life eternal or rebirth (Max returning to life, Storm potentially saving the other mutants from death.) The whole point of this is to rise and embrace life. The irony is that Storm was so quick to throw her life away to bring greater life to others. But that's the story of every life avatar. Buddha, Jesus, Zarathustra, Mithras... all sacrifice themselves to preserve life, create eternal life, restore life, or end the cycle of torment and lead wary souls to some type of heaven.

That journey is called by many names, in Buddhism it's called the diamond path or bardo, a quickening journey for the soul to reach enlightenment or in this instance life. in Christianity, it's called the descent. In Hinduism, it's the cycle of reincarnation. Storm's journey to restore Max to life is deeply impulsive. But no one has asked why. She has a dream and that's it. It's a not simple dream. This dream was so powerful that it terrified her. She strikes out in her sleep to protect herself from the horror. What was the horror that frightened her so much? Was it Max in hell, suffering? Yes, it’s about him being denied mercy. That’s his suffering, that breaks her heart. For Storm Magneto deserves mercy for all he’s been through and done to others. It activated her transformation into something more. That transformation comes at a deep personal cost, her life. Jumping into the portal took her body from her. The vessel she’s been protecting the entire Krakoan era. This was her treasure balance saw the greatest imbalance as something that needed to be rectified or she couldn’t live the life she earned. In many ways this is reminiscent of the bodhisattva Kuan Yin, she was offered nirvana and she heard someone crying and rejected heaven to be a beacon of compassion for all beings across time and space.

Storm the goddess of balance is evolving into a merciful being a life avatar. This has been Ewing’s take his entire run. She didn't know she had become an avatar of life until Ashake told her. Her role as a life avatar is a compulsion, she can't deny herself because that's her purpose. Storm is finally embracing all of who she is. This point will become important later. We all want Magneto back. How is she going to do it?

Soon part 2

Lord Ewing has been incredible on SWORD, Red, SatB, and now this book somehow takes all of that to the next level. As a fan of Storm, I can't be more impressed, but as a reader of comics, as a mystic and tarot aficionado, to see all these threads woven together so masterfully, it truly is a wonder to behold.

I've long wanted to see Storm's magical ancestry tapped into, and to see Ashake brought back by Lord Claremont in Gambit recently, and see Lord Ewing continue with that here, it's just soo satisfying. There was a great book call Promethea by Alan Moore, featuring journeys through the Kabbalah and Tarot and more, and this issue really invoked that one, which I adore. And while he's no J. H. Williams III, Luciano Vecchio delivered great artwork, far exceeding my expectations based on his previous work which I found cartoony. He was able to traverse the various settings and metaphysical metaphors with ease and style.

I am looking forward to seeing Lord Ewing continue with Magneto's perspective next issue and can't wait to see what else he has in store for Max and Ororo in the rest of this series!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Umm... Why can't the Five resurrect Magneto via the Protocols again?

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Umm... Why can't the Five resurrect Magneto via the Protocols again?
    Him and Storm had all of their backups destroyed.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Nothing more to add than what has been said. Just a great comic. And yay white eyebrows.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I couldn’t help but think reading this than when Ewing goes too into the Kirby ”mystery” stuff it’s more like “woah! This is cool” then thinking I’m reading a great story. For instance, in Defenders we went across all of the abstract spaces, but the entirety of the story was “the Beyonders are worried about Enigma” - none of the featured characters got an arc or had any development. I
    hope we get more here than Storm going on a peyote trip to bring Erik back.

The callback panels that were highly effective in Immortal Hulk are here too and they’re at risk of just being clever for the sake of it, like “hey, remember this? I do too”. If we get to Magneto next time I’d like to see some reflection on why he chose to not come back, and why the hell should he now when there are powerhouses like Storm, Exodus et al on the clock?

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

This book was FANTASTIC!!!!

Look, people NEED to understand Storm has NOT been written THIS Good since Claremont and arguably Coates. Al Ewing has been the BEST thing for Storm and honestly the BEST writer for Storm.

Time and Time again writers over the years that handled Storm has failed giving us a good Storm. A Competent Storm or a powerful one.

When I hear people complain about how Storm always wins. Let’s me know they have not read comics for a very long time or don’t follow Storm. Ever since Storm got married to Black Panther her character as whole has declined and suffered MULTITUDES of L’s.

As a Storm Fan I’m glad and happy I FINALLY get a writer who understands her and her powers and utilizes it. And to prove my point once the X-Men get rebooted I BET you we will see a Storm out back into the Background and will start taking L’s again.

Anyway, GREAT BOOK I LOVED it.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    Part 1

Let's go, this issue is everything.

I have a take on this that examines the Journey Storm is taking from the perspective of a mystic. Others have spoken about the Kabbalistic spheres and her journey through the Sephiroth. But I am going to examine this from Storm's perspective. This whole journey is one big giant NDE. An NDE is a near-death experience. There are many versions of this throughout human history. It can be light and easy or absolutely painful. It's extremely personal and devastating in its ability to provide a mirror to the entity of the person going through it. Death is the beginning (Storm jumping into the waiting room). The journeyperson will experience a guide (Ashake) or awareness (Storm's desire to save Max) driving them, dark gods (the 8 dominions), entities (Tarn) designed to stop her from saving Max, multiple dimensional planes of existence (the waiting room, the Tower, Dominion space, judgment.) The end goal is life eternal or rebirth (Max returning to life, Storm potentially saving the other mutants from death.) The whole point of this is to rise and embrace life. The irony is that Storm was so quick to throw her life away to bring greater life to others. But that's the story of every life avatar. Buddha, Jesus, Zarathustra, Mithras... all sacrifice themselves to preserve life, create eternal life, restore life, or end the cycle of torment and lead wary souls to some type of heaven.

That journey is called by many names, in Buddhism it's called the diamond path or bardo, a quickening journey for the soul to reach enlightenment or in this instance life. in Christianity, it's called the descent. In Hinduism, it's the cycle of reincarnation. Storm's journey to restore Max to life is deeply impulsive. But no one has asked why. She has a dream and that's it. It's a not simple dream. This dream was so powerful that it terrified her. She strikes out in her sleep to protect herself from the horror. What was the horror that frightened her so much? Was it Max in hell, suffering? Yes, it’s about him being denied mercy. That’s his suffering, that breaks her heart. For Storm Magneto deserves mercy for all he’s been through and done to others. It activated her transformation into something more. That transformation comes at a deep personal cost, her life. Jumping into the portal took her body from her. The vessel she’s been protecting the entire Krakoan era. This was her treasure balance saw the greatest imbalance as something that needed to be rectified or she couldn’t live the life she earned. In many ways this is reminiscent of the bodhisattva Kuan Yin, she was offered nirvana and she heard someone crying and rejected heaven to be a beacon of compassion for all beings across time and space.

Storm the goddess of balance is evolving into a merciful being a life avatar. This has been Ewing’s take his entire run. She didn't know she had become an avatar of life until Ashake told her. Her role as a life avatar is a compulsion, she can't deny herself because that's her purpose. Storm is finally embracing all of who she is. This point will become important later. We all want Magneto back. How is she going to do it?

Soon part 2
    This is a fantastic post. A deep dive into the understanding of it all. Well done, friend. The below in particular made my head spin in the best way. I'll be digesting this while looking forward to your part 2.

"What was the horror that frightened her so much? Was it Max in hell, suffering? Yes, it’s about him being denied mercy. That’s his suffering, that breaks her heart. For Storm Magneto deserves mercy for all he’s been through and done to others. It activated her transformation into something more. That transformation comes at a deep personal cost, her life. Jumping into the portal took her body from her. The vessel she’s been protecting the entire Krakoan era. This was her treasure balance saw the greatest imbalance as something that needed to be rectified or she couldn’t live the life she earned."
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Probably because you're not used to her being written properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    This book was FANTASTIC!!!!

Look, people NEED to understand Storm has NOT been written THIS Good since Claremont and arguably Coates. Al Ewing has been the BEST thing for Storm and honestly the BEST writer for Storm.

I was thinking it could be better than Claremont's Storm, given time. But that's not the way it works anymore.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

when readers say a character is OP what does that even mean for a character that was created to be the most powerful female character? what should be limited to? even with the magic or divinity aspects an omega mutant definition is not supposed to have a limit to their mutant ability.

also as others have said the issue was absolutely phenomenal!!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

All this issue did was make me sad that Ewing is leaving the X office. Just a magnificent issue in both story and art.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    Probably because you're not used to her being written properly.

I was thinking it could be better than Claremont's Storm, given time. But that's not the way it works anymore.
    You’re Absolutely Right.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Fantastic Member

So I enjoyed the issue, but I'm not convinced why Storm feels she needs to get Magneto now. I guess the dream is her final pushing point..but Storm refused to die when there were resurrection protocols. Now she just blindly jumps into afterlife not knowing what or how hoping to find Max?

And what book did Storm get a ship from Blue Marvel before?