Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Roxxon Age?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    But didn't Roxxon go out of business in Immortal Hulk after Agger's teamup with Xemnu.
    Agger got swallowed up and spat out by Xemnu, yes, but Roxxon itself kept going, with machinations behind the scenes to try to put the Champions out of business by manipulating an otherwise well-meaning U.S. Senator, along with general public sentiment, into backing a law that would outlaw superheroes under the age of 21.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope that the end of the storyline can end with at least one of the corporations being taken over completely by some of the heroes. Take their resources and use them to help people rather than exploit them. I think that Hobie Brown would be a good co-character for this storyline with Spider-Man.
    Indeed. We saw some of that in his return arc as the Prowler back in Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, and that arc ended with him, assisted by Tony Stark/Iron Man, taking over a corrupt crowdfunding company that was basically scamming innocent people and turning it into something that could actually help people like it promised to do instead of exploiting them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    We saw some of that in his return arc as the Prowler back in Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, and that arc ended with him, assisted by Tony Stark/Iron Man, taking over a corrupt crowdfunding company that was basically scamming innocent people and turning it into something that could actually help people like it promised to do instead of exploiting them.
    And then in the Beyond storyline it turns out that Beyond bought it off Tony Stark while Tony wasn't paying attention. Because under current Spider-man editorial of course it did.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Yes. Corporate warfare is rather commonplace within the cyberpunk genre, where corporations tend to have grown so large and powerful that their private security forces might as well be militaries unto themselves. Mix that up with a superhero universe which does have a lot of mega-sized and incredibly morally bankrupt corporations to serve as villains in their own right or backers and equippers of the supervillains that superheroes face . . . yeah, it's potentially very ripe creative fruit for the picking.
    Thanks. I think the idea has some legs

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    And then in the Beyond storyline it turns out that Beyond bought it off Tony Stark while Tony wasn't paying attention. Because under current Spider-man editorial of course it did.
    Alas, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Thanks. I think the idea has some legs
    You're welcome, and same.

Wouldn't Ben Reilly have been the Roxxon Spider-Man?
    But he's Chasm now, so I doubt we'd see his "adventures".

Still, I wonder what could happen if Dario Agger had Peter and Miles in his crosshairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Wouldn't Ben Reilly have been the Roxxon Spider-Man?
    But he's Chasm now, so I doubt we'd see his "adventures".

Still, I wonder what could happen if Dario Agger had Peter and Miles in his crosshairs.
    That would be something.

Astonishing Member

I loved Roxxon back in the day. In the 90s especially it seemed like they were behind every shady scheme. Good to see they’re being used again.
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I loved Roxxon back in the day. In the 90s especially it seemed like they were behind every shady scheme. Good to see they’re being used again.
    Indeed. Roxxon, and especially Dario Agger, as the embodiment of everything wrong and sick and flat-out bad about corporate America, only amplified in the context of a superhero setting, definitely has legs, particularly nowadays with increasingly prevalent critiques and condemnations of the power and influence of corporations within American society, culture, and politics. Hell, Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12 posited at one point during that saga that the real reason for the proliferation of supervillains was corrupt corporate executives and corrupt government officials equipping and empowering hired agents to keep superheroes at their inception distracted from using their powers and resources to go after those corporate execs and government officials for their own, greater wrongs against society and humanity. Given how a lot of supervillains' origins could be traced back to Roxxon even before that retcon, who's to say Roxxon wasn't part of that supervillain-creating network of corrupt corporate/government types in the first place?

Fantastic Member

Indeed. Roxxon, and especially Dario Agger, as the embodiment of everything wrong and sick and flat-out bad about corporate America, only amplified in the context of a superhero setting, definitely has legs, particularly nowadays with increasingly prevalent critiques and condemnations of the power and influence of corporations within American society, culture, and politics. Hell, Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12 posited at one point during that saga that the real reason for the proliferation of supervillains was corrupt corporate executives and corrupt government officials equipping and empowering hired agents to keep superheroes at their inception distracted from using their powers and resources to go after those corporate execs and government officials for their own, greater wrongs against society and humanity. Given how a lot of supervillains' origins could be traced back to Roxxon even before that retcon, who's to say Roxxon wasn't part of that supervillain-creating network of corrupt corporate/government types in the first place?
    To be honest (and I am saying this not to encourage Marvel but to just point it out), I am little surprised that they have never done a massive crossover with Roxxon as the villain.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    To be honest (and I am saying this not to encourage Marvel but to just point it out), I am little surprised that they have never done a massive crossover with Roxxon as the villain.
    Remember the Roxxon story long ago that turned the first Tarantula into a giant spider, and Will O' The Wisp was involved? Good times.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    Remember the Roxxon story long ago that turned the first Tarantula into a giant spider, and Will O' The Wisp was involved? Good times.
    A classic. A lot of people point to “Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut”, “The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man”, and Hobgoblin’s first appearance as Stern’s best, but to me the Tarantula arc is just as great. That image of him as a giant spider leaping off the building to commit suicide by police shooting has stuck with me for decades. Such a haunting ending for the character.
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

Fantastic Member

A classic. A lot of people point to “Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut”, “The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man”, and Hobgoblin’s first appearance as Stern’s best, but to me the Tarantula arc is just as great. That image of him as a giant spider leaping off the building to commit suicide by police shooting has stuck with me for decades. Such a haunting ending for the character.
    That ending was so dark and a little grizzly for early 80s Spider-Man what all the blood and all. It actually was a big deal when Daredevil showed Elektra's bloody and somewhat gory demise around the same time. Some retailers even got complaints IIRC. Great story though. But then again, most of Roger Stern's writing was pretty good.

Maybe we'll get something like that with that upcoming Immortal Thor arc, though before that, the closest to it would be Dario Agger's participation in War of the Realms on the same side as Malekith and his forces, and then Immortal Hulk by Ewing revealing he basically bought his way out of any semblance of accountability or justice for essentially being a traitor to all of Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    That ending was so dark and a little grizzly for early 80s Spider-Man what all the blood and all. It actually was a big deal when Daredevil showed Elektra's bloody and somewhat gory demise around the same time. Some retailers even got complaints IIRC. Great story though. But then again, most of Roger Stern's writing was pretty good.
    Oh, yeah . . .

Amazing Member

Roxxon Age = Vought and The Seven in The Boys

It took 4 years for marvel to finally take a jab at Ennis with this one, though i may not be surprised if ewing throws some rocks at the MCU with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitterman View Post
    Roxxon Age = Vought and The Seven in The Boys

It took 4 years for marvel to finally take a jab at Ennis with this one, though i may not be surprised if ewing throws some rocks at the MCU with this one.
    Considering the TV adaptation of The Boys on Amazon Prime Video had a lot more to say about society and humanity at large as opposed to just "superheroes suck!" and was also taking on or lampooning the ubiquity of the MCU . . . I could see that.