Incredible Member

Default Multiverses, Then and Now

Forgive me if this has been gone over to death, but as I'm working my way through back-issues of DC, I'm wondering about this. I know that there are not only different worlds in the multiverse, but different multiverses! For instance, there was the one that was destroyed in Crisis on Infinite Earths, and then the one that was established post-Infinite Crisis! Yikes!

Here's what I have:

Pre-COIE
    Earth-1 - Main hub of DC Comics
    Earth-2 - Golden Age heroes
    Earth-3 - Crime Syndicate, villainous versions of Earth-1 heroes.
    Earth-4 - Charlton comics characters
    Earth-S - Marvel Family. Not sure if other Fawcett Comics heroes also occupied this Earth, like Bullet Man
    Earth-X - World where WWII raged into the 1980s, where the Freedom Fighters migrated.
    Earth-6 - Lady Quark's home, only established in COIE

Post-IC
    New Earth - Main hub of DC Comics
    Earth-2 - Reincarnation, so to speak, of Earth-2 from previous Multiverse.

New 52
    Prime Earth - Main hub of DC Comics.

I know next to nothing about DC post-2011, so I'm not sure if Flashpoint reset the Multiverse, or just New Earth/Prime Earth.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Multiverse
    This is one of if not the most comprehensive and easy to understand source on the DC multiverse.

Amazing Member

https://superheroes.fandom.com/wiki/DC_Multiverse
    Here is another summary (with links to subpages). It only covers comic book though. Animation, TV, and Movies can have additional multiverses.

Astonishing Member

There was a thread here about the new old multiverse.

The DC Wikia isn't that good anymore.

As of the most recent DC Mega Event (Dark Crisis?), the multiverse is infinite again.
    My question is: what does it matter when they never take advantage of it?

Gosh what I wouldn't give for yearly team-ups like in the old days. As a kid I waited all year for the annual JLA/JSA teamups.
    These days it seems all we really do is visit the same couple of multiverse worlds (Earth 3, Kingdom Come Earth, Earth X).
    And those are few and far between.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    As of the most recent DC Mega Event (Dark Crisis?), the multiverse is infinite again.
    Technically that was true with Morrison revealing that there existed a Multiverse-1 and Multiverse-2 and Williamson revealing that Multiverse-2 was the Pre-Crisis Multiverse. Making a new Multiverse is kind of redundant at this point.

edit: I think Dark Crisis and an infinite Multiverse is more a marker that we are no longer in the Didio Era anymore and the 52 fetish was always Dan's thing.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-25-2024 at 06:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

The new multiverse is both of those combined. With some Earths not revived.

it's no wonder outsiders get confused about this **** when even seasoned readers are giving different answers to the question lol