Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You vs Hobbits

Default You vs Hobbits

How many Hobbits from Lord of the Rings could you fight and win against in unarmed combat?

1) Movie Hobbits
    2) Book Hobbits
    3) You vs Merry, Pippin, Frodo, and Sam

Bonus: 1 group of the Main Four hobbits is placed in the Arena to fight Achilles from the movie Troy. If he wins, two clones of the main four are placed in and the fight is repeated, with the number of groups going up every time. The Groups of hobbits have swords and pans and Achilles has everything he had in the movie. How long does he last?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

I lose every fight due to my lack of canonical feats.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    How many Hobbits from Lord of the Rings could you fight and win against in unarmed combat?
    *Puts on my giant red pants and tiny vest*

More than they've got!

1) Movie Hobbits
    I mean Frodo is the only one with a decent AC, and even Mithral doesn't have much on Adamant.

2) Book Hobbits
    Weren't there only like four of them that had done ANY fighting?

They won't have TIME to get hungry for second breakfast or elevensees before I've taught Sharkey how to REALLY loot, pillage, and massacre a population around here.

Well, it's the previous fights, but without the free XP and GP for massacring all the other guys as well.

Bonus: 1 group of the Main Four hobbits is placed in the Arena to fight Achilles from the movie Troy. If he wins, two clones of the main four are placed in and the fight is repeated, with the number of groups going up every time. The Groups of hobbits have swords and pans and Achilles has everything he had in the movie. How long does he last?
    I don't think they were short enough that he would have trouble hitting them, so until they have enough of them to overwhelm him with sheer numbers. So like 50 rounds? 4^50 Hobbits MIGHT be too much for him.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

1) Movie Hobbits
    2) Book Hobbits

Poster Persona Sharkerbob takes them out with a pair of shorts.

Real World Sharkerbob gets his ass kicked by just one of them.

Bonus: Hmm. I didn't see the movie. :V But I imagine once there gets to be at least 50+ of the hobbits, he's going to have a hard time not getting simply dog piled and his heel struck. So that'd be four rounds fighting against 64 Hobbits? LOL, Hobbit 64, like some kinda LotR Nintendo game. V:

4) filthy hobbitses

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

1) Movie Hobbits
    2) Book Hobbits
    I don't know.

If this were ARMED combat, I'd be dead, dead, dead. Hobbits usually run around with bows and are ridiculously accurate; bloodlusted, they'd murder me.

But it's unarmed.

I'm not a big guy, but I'm a whole lot bigger than hobbits. I have plenty of training in such things, they don't. That said, they're not WEAK - they're people living and working in a pre-industrial agrarian society, they're in decent shape.

I would say 'not that many'. Any more than two and I might be in serious difficulty, due to one of them always managing to be behind me. And if I get dogpiled by three or more, I'm pretty much hosed.

So let's go with two, I can be confident of that.

Well, right off the bat that's FOUR, so I'm hosed.

Plus, it's a bunch of Hobbits with experience fighting and killing stuff. They don't have their weapons, but they have that.

So I'm toast.

Achilles will last a while. He was murdering the hell out of soldiers in armor without taking a single injury. Here he has a whole lot of height, reach, and weapon advantage over the Hobbits, and they have zero armour. And I don't see them being a whole lot more dangerous than unarmored versions of the soldiers he killed in droves.

I would say 'it's going to take a lot, Achilles is likely going to need to get tired, first.'
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

1) & 2), I'd like to assume 2 or 3 hobbits unarmed(Some boxing experience, 2 jiu jitsu classes).

3) I would get smoked

Bonus; Achilles could probably get through 10 waves

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm not a big guy, but I'm a whole lot bigger than hobbits. I have plenty of training in such things, they don't. That said, they're not WEAK - they're people living and working in a pre-industrial agrarian society, they're in decent shape.

I would say 'not that many'. Any more than two and I might be in serious difficulty, due to one of them always managing to be behind me. '
    What if they Movie Mook you and only take you on one at a time? Gauntlet match rather than a dogpile.

I don't know.

If this were ARMED combat, I'd be dead, dead, dead. Hobbits usually run around with bows and are ridiculously accurate; bloodlusted, they'd murder me.

But it's unarmed.

I would say 'not that many'. Any more than two and I might be in serious difficulty, due to one of them always managing to be behind me. And if I get dogpiled by three or more, I'm pretty much hosed.

So let's go with two, I can be confident of that.
    And here I thought I was being modest by thinking I could take two lol
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    What if they Movie Mook you and only take you on one at a time? Gauntlet match rather than a dogpile.
    I'm going to get tired at some point...

I like to approach these realistically and with a eye towards being conservative as to what I can manage.

If there are three of them and they are bloodlusted, it means there's always one behind me, or trying to get there, and they can take me to the ground.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I feel like I should question if Frodo has the ring in any of the scenarios. If he does? I'm out. No way am I getting mixed up with that thing.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

A single hobbit might not be able to put much force behind a punch but I imagine that their jaws can **** up a human as much as a human jaw could

I like to approach these realistically and with a eye towards being conservative as to what I can manage.

If there are three of them and they are bloodlusted, it means there's always one behind me, or trying to get there, and they can take me to the ground.
    Oh for sure, but it leaves me less confident about taking 2 now heh
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I feel like I should question if Frodo has the ring in any of the scenarios. If he does? I'm out. No way am I getting mixed up with that thing.
    Nah, that would be unbalanced.
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Yeah, hand to hand means no Ghost Touch weapons for you to hit him on the Astral Plane.

Nothing wrong with thinking that. ^_^

Two hobbits are still dangerous, but they're small enough that one might be able to keep them at bay, avoid being caught from behind and taken down, and continue to land blows on them using one's own weight advantage (or even throwing them, if possible - they weigh 60 lbs, and while that doesn't mean I could pick one up and chuck the hobbit like a toy, it also means it's a lot more easy for me to slam one of them down to the ground, hard).

But it's important to realize this is not at all the same as fighting children.

Hobbits are fully-grown, perfectly coordinated people who are used to hard work. They're strong enough to do physical labour all day on their farms, pull bows and loose arrows such that the arrows kill larger animals (hunting) or humans, and can wield proportionally-sized weapons in such a way that they CAN kill larger beings. They're not superstrong, but they're not super-weak or anything. They're also quick and agile.

If there are two hobbits, one must consider that while a person is attacking one hobbit, the second might be getting behind that person, or grabbing their legs and tripping them up, or whatever.

If there are three hobbits, it's almost 100% guaranteed that one of them can get behind a human in a fight, almost all the time. And barring one being 6+ and 200+ lbs with some practical fight training/experience, this is a bad place to be (it's bad anyway, but there's a point where the size becomes a real problem for the hobbits).

And I am not some 6'2", 200lbs+ MMA fighter (bigadventure, for example, is easily in this range with fight training himself, so clearly his numbers would be better here).

Like, I'm 5'9" and 153 lbs or so, I'm 53 years old, and while I continue to train, my heavy-to-full contact fighting days are ~15 years in the past. And I don't have the endurance to play hit and run with them long enough to take out three hobbits, nor do I feel I would be easily capable of doing so without one of them getting their hands on me. Even if that's only for a second or two, that's a 60lbs weight on one of my legs, actively trying to hold on, hurt me, and so forth.

That's more than enough time for two more 60lbs living creatures to also latch onto me and try to take me to the ground.

Sure, I have a bucketload of grappling experience, but I can only really deal with one person at a time. While I'm throttling one hobbit or busting its arm, or hitting it, another is going for my face, my groin, whatever, or trying to cut off my own wind, or pinning me down further so another one can do more whatever (like kick me in the head), etc.

Is it possible I can take three? Sure. And, if I'm very fortunate, maybe more than that.

Am I confident in saying I can take three? Not at all.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-29-2024 at 07:15 AM.
    Why are we here?