Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    By the way could someone name all the mcu movies and shows that were action comedies?
    Was incredible hulk ,wakanda forever,eternals,cloak and dagger, agents carter,helstrom,jessica jones, moon knight action comedies?
    Nope.
    Most of the mcu (shows and movies) are are not action comedies by the way.
    In fact most of dceu on average were more action comedies then the mcu and only dceu show peacemaker was a action comedy.
    Hawkeye might be called an action comedy. Maybe even Falcon and Winter Soldier. Oh, and Loki.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I liked the comedy. I enjoyed the first two Ant-Man movies. More so than most of the MCU movies. There was more plot and character development than just constant battles and destroying stuff.
    Exactly.

Part of the reason Ant-man 3 a LOT of people disliked Ant-man 3 is because the film makers abandoned the simplicity of the previous films.

BANNED

so pretty much in Ant Man 3 while they were in the microverse universe, Hank Pym becomes Super Ant God master where his ants evolved due to them adapting and the ants getting smarter yada yada

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    so pretty much in Ant Man 3 while they were in the microverse universe, Hank Pym becomes Super Ant God master where his ants evolved due to them adapting and the ants getting smarter yada yada
    ^^^you're describing what happened yeah.

The Microverse was really interesting visually. I wish we’d seen more of it. And some comics accurate Micronauts, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I am in complete agreement with you, Dreaded Porcupine! Maybe the Porcupine will be villain in the next Ant Man movie (if there is another one).
    That would be awesome! Porcupine already appeared as a reformed villain in She-Hulk. Ant-Man should be more street level. Quantumania was to much in the sub atomic world and pretty much lost most of it’s viewers there. Sadly I think Quantumania did the franchise in.

Ant-Man should be more street level.

Agreed. They also made him too powerful for the genre that works best for him. The previous movies were better at keeping the giant size thing from being overpowered by making him extremely slow in giant form, and he didn't seem any more durable than some animal of comparable size like a whale. In Quantumania he's basically Godzilla, which moves him completely out of the street-level genre. It was all too much. He stopped feeling like the underdog struggling to complete a street-level heist, and felt more like Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Agreed. They also made him too powerful for the genre that works best for him. The previous movies were better at keeping the giant size thing from being overpowered by making him extremely slow in giant form, and he didn't seem any more durable than some animal of comparable size like a whale. In Quantumania he's basically Godzilla, which moves him completely out of the street-level genre. It was all too much. He stopped feeling like the underdog struggling to complete a street-level heist, and felt more like Superman.
    Agreed. Clumsy, slow and a big target. Disadvantages to go with the advantages of being giant-sized.

Ultimate Member

He was never really street level, though.

From the first movie, the narrative was pretty clear what an advantage his powers were. The only people who stood a chance against him were Falcon (who could void his ability to hide, by in large) and Yellowjacket, who had the same powers.

Scott's more espionage genre than street.

That would be awesome! Porcupine already appeared as a reformed villain in She-Hulk. Ant-Man should be more street level. Quantumania was to much in the sub atomic world and pretty much lost most of it’s viewers there. Sadly I think Quantumania did the franchise in.
    Sadly I agree, which is too bad. There was so much more I'd have love to have seen from the Ant-Man movies. It's a shame Quantumania will likely be his last and the movie was more focused on setting up Kang then telling a true Ant-Man story. I'm one of the few who liked Quantumania but I recognize that they were not telling a story about Scott and his family. Trailers were super misleading.

Agreed. Clumsy, slow and a big target. Disadvantages to go with the advantages of being giant-sized.
    The funny thing is I've always thought they made the Pym Particle giants look weak in the comics, especially in the late 2000s. Like you said they are just big targets and are easily taken down by literally anyone with agility and above average strength. The giant size changers became massive jobbers. Bill Foster dying in Civil War, Cassie jobbing to numerous heroes and villains, Taskmaster taking down three giants easily with his shield, Ultimate Steve Rogers beating giant Hank Pym. It got to a point where being a giant was just not impressive and seen as a handicap. They were there just to make someone else look cool for beating such a big foe. It's probably why you rarely see it anymore in comics. Going small and shrinking is better then being a giant.

So if anything I applaud Quantumania for trying to make Giant-Man look like a legit superhero threat. Cause the Marvel comics sure don't do it.
    Last edited by ComicNoobie; 01-29-2024 at 08:26 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I can't believe the guy who fights with ants and has a nemesis called The Porcupine got a comedy movie.

Yeah, because Hank Pym was clearly created to be a silly character. That kind of mentality is why these movies are so bad. "It's comics! They're supposed to be stupid!"

And it's not like Ant-Man is the only comedy, nor is it an especially a funny comedy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Part of the reason Ant-man 3 a LOT of people disliked Ant-man 3 is because the film makers abandoned the simplicity of the previous films.
    That was my main complaint. They went too big for #3. 1 was a heist and 2 was a fugitive story. Going into that whole Kang and Not-MODOK with the world at stake was just too much for a solo movie.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    The funny thing is I've always thought they made the Pym Particle giants look weak in the comics, especially in the late 2000s. Like you said they are just big targets and are easily taken down by literally anyone with agility and above average strength. The giant size changers became massive jobbers. Bill Foster dying in Civil War, Cassie jobbing to numerous heroes and villains, Taskmaster taking down three giants easily with his shield, Ultimate Steve Rogers beating giant Hank Pym. It got to a point where being a giant was just not impressive and seen as a handicap. They were there just to make someone else look cool for beating such a big foe. It's probably why you rarely see it anymore in comics. Going small and shrinking is better then being a giant.

So if anything I applaud Quantumania for trying to make Giant-Man look like a legit superhero threat. Cause the Marvel comics sure don't do it.
    That super bugged me, since the square-cube law means that at 60' tall (10x height), Pym (or Lang, or Cassie) has to weigh 1000x as much. (Square the height, cube the weight.) And since it weighs that much, this Pym-particle-made temporary flesh and bone has to be structurally stronger and tougher than normal-scale human flesh and bone. A thousand times stronger and tougher. At sixty feet tall, the giants should be almost exactly class 100 (100 ton lift), same as Thor, Hercules, etc. They wouldn't *feel* Taskmaster flinging his shield at their ankles, any more than I'd feel an ant tossing a grain of rice at my ankle. Just ludicrous, like so much of the writing in that event. (Like Tony and Reed being able to clone a god, and make a cosmically powerful (and nearly indestructible!) energy source the equivalent of Mjolnir about the size of a loaf of bread, and not using it to, oh, solve the energy crisis and *power New York.*)