Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

More Than Just The Same: MCU Head Kevin Feige Says All Marvel Movies Are 'Relatively Different'
    As popular as it is, one of the biggest and most enduring criticisms of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is how similar many of its entries are to each other. Minus a few exceptions, cynical viewers think that Marvel movies are interchangeable, with the only differences being the hero's name and which Infinity Stone the villain was holding. In response, Marvel Entertainment head honcho Kevin Feige defended the MCU, saying that the movies are in fact, different from one another.

Feige Talks About Marvelous Differences

While talking to Uproxx about the upcoming #Marvel movies that include Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther, Feige acknowledged that the Marvel movies do tend to feel similar to one another. For the producer, there's a perfectly logical reason for this, and it's unavoidable given the tightly-knit group of writers responsible for bringing popular Marvel comics to the big screen.

"I mean, I think it's just the way we make the movies. I think all the movies are relatively different. I think there's a narrative that people like to write about because they're all produced by the same team and they all inhabit the same fictional cinematic universe. That we look for common similarities."

While not downplaying the criticisms and similarities, Feige doubled-down on his belief that the Marvel movies are distinct movies that just so happen to be a part of a greater cinematic universe. To prove his point, the producer cited the most recent Marvel movies that have noticeably been aiming to do something outside of the usual Marvel formula.

"And I'm not saying there aren't common similarities throughout it, but I think 'Thor: Ragnarok' and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' are two totally different types of movies. They're both fun. People both enjoy them. Is that a similarity? If so, I'll take it. If that's a criticism, I'll take that, too. But really, yeah, 'Homecoming,' 'Ragnarok,' '[Black] Panther,' into 'Infinity War,' 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' after that. And a '90s-set 'Captain Marvel' after that; these are six very different movies.If what they have in common is they're all really enjoyable and fun to watch, then I'll take it."

When asked if Thor: Ragnarok, which is being marketed as an inter-galactic road-trip, was the craziest that Marvel could get, Feige reassured Uproxx's Mike Ryan that #Ragnarok - and by extension, future Marvel films - will be a Marvel movie that fans would not be expecting.

"The truth of the matter is I think they're all unusual and I think they all seem to be funnier than people expect. People said the same thing to me about 'Guardians [of the Galaxy],' people said the same thing to me three months ago about 'Spider-Man: Homecoming.' But, certainly, this is the one that we followed our instincts into comedy unabashedly."
    https://moviepilot.com/p/kevin-feige...ticism/4414149

Extraordinary Member

Here is past talk about the mcu,and what is action comedies and what are the action comedies of the mcu etc..

THREAD: DC FANS DO YOU STILL CARE ABOUT DC COPYING MCU MOVIES
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...U-movies/page2
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...U-movies/page3
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...U-movies/page4

THREAD: SOMETHING I'VE NOTICED ABOUT MY WIFE REGARDING DC VS. MARVEL FILMS
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...el-films/page2
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...el-films/page3

THREAD: IS WARNER BROS A BAD CORPORATE PARENT FOR DC COMICS?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-for-DC-Comics
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...C-Comics/page3

THREAD: WHAT EXACTLY IS THE MARVEL FORMULA?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Marvel-formula
    Last edited by mace11; 01-28-2024 at 11:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Phase 4 by the way is the most varied phase and is the most successful phase after phase 3,making the most money after phase 3.

It's phase 5 so far that is the least successful phase but it's not over yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    By the way could someone name all the mcu movies and shows that were action comedies?
    Was incredible hulk ,wakanda forever,eternals,cloak and dagger, agents carter,helstrom,jessica jones, moon knight action comedies?
    Nope.
    Most of the mcu (shows and movies) are are not action comedies by the way.
    In fact most of dceu on average were more action comedies then the mcu and only dceu show peacemaker was a action comedy.
    Eternals had some pretty bad comedic elements and is widely considered a departure from the typical MCU formula. Most of the shows you're referring to weren't really a part of the MCU in any major way. Moon Knight made Steven Grant into a quirky, goofy character and was a profoundly sanitized take on the character. I love Oscar Isaac and I was very disappointed in how bland that was.

But even with a handful of exceptions, acting as if the MCU wasn't notorious for quips and one-liners and humor undercutting serious moments is disingenuous. Even Iron Man and Avengers, two of the best early MCU films have TONS of one-liners. They even made Bruce Banner, the saddest man alive, increasingly funny and goofy as the movies went on. Turning Thor's trauma and PTSD into a bunch of fat jokes is one of the most egregious examples. Guardians of the Galaxy is basically non-stop jokes, including the dumb dancing scene that completely ruins the tension of that moment and makes the villain look like an idiot.

A fair amount of them ARE action comedies. And even the ones that aren't have really eye-rolling jokes peppered in throughout.

It's not even that humor in these movies is inherently bad. Part of what was refreshing about the first Iron Man was that the main character was this lively, funny, eccentric character and it was a big contrast to more brooding or somber superheroes like Bale's Batman or Maguire's Spider-Man. The problem is they applied that to characters where it didn't work and eventually, every character is a quip-machine but lacking the comedic delivery and improv of people like Favreau and RDJ that made it work.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Eternals had some pretty bad comedic elements and is widely considered a departure from the typical MCU formula. Most of the shows you're referring to weren't really a part of the MCU in any major way. Moon Knight made Steven Grant into a quirky, goofy character and was a profoundly sanitized take on the character. I love Oscar Isaac and I was very disappointed in how bland that was.

But even with a handful of exceptions, acting as if the MCU wasn't notorious for quips and one-liners and humor undercutting serious moments is disingenuous. Even Iron Man and Avengers, two of the best early MCU films have TONS of one-liners. They even made Bruce Banner, the saddest man alive, increasingly funny and goofy as the movies went on. Turning Thor's trauma and PTSD into a bunch of fat jokes is one of the most egregious examples. Guardians of the Galaxy is basically non-stop jokes, including the dumb dancing scene that completely ruins the tension of that moment and makes the villain look like an idiot.

A fair amount of them ARE action comedies. And even the ones that aren't have really eye-rolling jokes peppered in throughout.

It's not even that humor in these movies is inherently bad. Part of what was refreshing about the first Iron Man was that the main character was this lively, funny, eccentric character and it was a big contrast to more brooding or somber superheroes like Bale's Batman or Maguire's Spider-Man. The problem is they applied that to characters where it didn't work and eventually, every character is a quip-machine but lacking the comedic delivery and improv of people like Favreau and RDJ that made it work.
    I disagree.
    Anyway there are plenty of serious moments that were not undercutting and the shows(pre disney plus and after) are still mcu.

Every character did not have quips and one liners.
    I don't remember cloak or dagger having them,and just because there has been some humor in most or all of the films does not make it comedy.
    Blade had a good amount of humor but it was not a action comedy for example.
    In fact bvs had a good amount of humor and the dark knight as well but are seen as dark dc films and your view on certain humor cutting serious moments many do not agree with.

The mcu formula is myth.
    There is no typical mcu formula.
    More of the action comedies came after in phase 3 but most of phase 3 was not action comedies and they made money but most of the mcu(shows and movies) is still not action comedies.
    More non action comedies mcu films came in phase 3 as well but phase 3 made more movies then past phases, but like i said most were not action comedies mcu movies on average.
    All long franchises will have their ups and downs with the box-office,from dc,marvel,star wars etc...
    Heck there are still folks talking about half of phase 1 was a flop.
    Last edited by mace11; 01-28-2024 at 01:25 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I disagree.
    Anyway there are plenty of serious moments that were not undercutting and the shows(pre disney plus and after) are still mcu.

Every character did not have quips and one liners.
    I don't remember cloak or dagger having them,and just because there has been some humor in most or all of the films does not make it comedy.
    Blade had a good amount of humor but it was not a action comedy for example.
    In fact bvs had a good amount of humor and the dark knight as well but are seen as dark dc films and your view on certain humor cutting serious moments many do not agree with.

The mcu formula is myth.
    There is no typical mcu formula.
    More of the action comedies came after in phase 3 but most of phase 3 was not action comedies and they made money but most of the mcu(shows and movies) is still not action comedies.
    More non action comedies mcu films came in phase 3 as well but phase 3 made more movies then past phases, but like i said most were not action comedies mcu movies on average.
    All long franchises will have their ups and downs with the box-office,from dc,marvel,star wars etc...
    Heck there are still folks talking about half of phase 1 was a flop.
    Blade wasn't made by Marvel Studios and its not really a myth considering I've been saying it for at least ten years now and others have picked up on it. The MCU has never made a movie as edgy or unique as Blade.

Acting as if there being serious moments or characters negates the criticism is silly. Turning a character's PTSD into an excuse for a fat joke is pretty emblematic of the entire problem. The movies obviously have differences, but the general tone is the same in most of them. There's a reason that audiences have gotten bored of this stuff. They feel very artless and manufactured a lot of the time. Disney isn't exactly known for being a bastion of artistic freedom. Star Wars has suffered under them as well.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I can't believe the guy who fights with ants and has a nemesis called The Porcupine got a comedy movie.

"Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    watching the first Ant Man movie today and while Im watching it, the movie forces you to enjoy the dumb comic relief humor that goes on with Scott and his ex con buddies.

Why and what for?
    Why? Well, one day Kevin was with his cousin Carlos, talking about sports cars, and most of Carlos' cars are generic, except for a blue Mercedes that is like a dream. The engine almost makes no sound, the chairs are incredibly comfortable, it just lacks a claxon that makes the sound "la cucaracha". Anyway, Carlos was dating this girl, Rebecca, a blonde with blue eyes that are to die for. She has many friends who go shopping with her, such as Andrea, who owns a restaurant. And one of her most trusted employees was his bartender Stan, who never seems to settle for a fixed job anyway. And Stan is always with his buddy, his BFF, Jack. Jack likes in the suburbs, and one of his neighbors is Ned, who is a great friend of Edgar, a guy who is into film-making and had a draft of a film about a superhero that gets involved in a comedy heist. So Kevin asked Carlos, "did Edgar tell Ned to tell Jack to tell Stan to tell Andrea to tell Rebecca to tell you to tell me that he's looking for someone to hire him?" And Carlos said "Nah, dude. He's just looking for himself, but his idea may be perfect for that Ant-Man film you wanted to make". And that's how it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I can't believe the guy who fights with ants and has a nemesis called The Porcupine got a comedy movie.

Seriously. Ant-Man should have been a Winter Soldier level thriller with one of Scott's ants going bad leading to a emotional rollercoaster of Ant-Man having to battle his best ant and bring it back to the side of good leading to Ant-Man 2 'Bug War' where the Avengers want to step on that same ant and later it's reveal that the ant bit Hank and Janet leading to a emotional and personal clash between Scott and Hope over that ant. Ending with Hope telling Scott he doesn't deserve to be Ant-Man and that her father, who his ant bit, made the suit. leading to Scott discarding it. Now that is what Ant-Man should have been!

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I Hank Pym was never a silly character, for example. I think we've gotten into an era where people are almost embarrassed to take any of this stuff seriously or have it played straight.
    “The key to success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made.” Marvel's (both the studio and comics) problem is they forgot that.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Guardians of the Galaxy did a good job alternating sincerity and humor. Rocket's story is super-dark, and it works despite there being so much humor in the movie.

Ultimate Member

For Ant-man, I believe the project was conceived as a heist movie and considering the original treatment, it was probably intended to be a "funnier" film.

Edgar Wright said it explicitly that the movie would have been an action-adventure with some comedic elements and looking at Wright's past work, the final film probably didn't veer too far away from what Wright would have produced.

I don't think the humor in Ant-man was bad compared to some of the more recent films where they went from subtlety to outright "gags" and didn't really work. I think the first Ant-man struck the balance better than something like Thor: L&T which went for sight gags that were often times not really funny.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I feel like the Ant-Man movie was handled well. In the comics, Scott is used to superhumans, mutants, magic and all that crap so the story is taken more seriously.

Ant-Man is a movie about a struggling handyman getting hired by an old dude superhero who invented a shrinking formula and an ant communicator to break into his own company when the most Scott knows about superheroes is seeing Iron Man on TV a couple of times and he's just doing it for money. Most of the seriousness comes from Hank and Hope and Cross is treated like a serious threat just like most MCU villains at the time.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 01-29-2024 at 02:55 PM.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Guardians of the Galaxy did a good job alternating sincerity and humor. Rocket's story is super-dark, and it works despite there being so much humor in the movie.
    I feel you don't have to alternate between humor and sincerity, but I guess I will look into it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I liked the comedy. I enjoyed the first two Ant-Man movies. More so than most of the MCU movies. There was more plot and character development than just constant battles and destroying stuff.
    I am in complete agreement with you, Dreaded Porcupine! Maybe the Porcupine will be villain in the next Ant Man movie (if there is another one).
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.