Default Christopher Reeve Documentary Super/Man

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/c...le-1235877077/
    Super/Man,” a documentary about the life of Christopher Reeve, is finalizing a deal to sell to Warner Bros. Discovery following its buzzy Sundance Film Festival premiere. It’s an interesting home for the documentary, because Reeve experienced his greatest commercial success playing the Man of Steel in the first four Superman movies, which Warner Bros. produced. James Gunn, the co-head of Warner-owned DC Studios, is currently reviving the character in the upcoming “Superman: Legacy,” which he wrote and will direct.

It’s unclear how the deal will be structured, but sources say that it could include some kind of distribution under the DC Studios banner, as well as involve some kind of showing on CNN, which Warner Bros. Discovery also owns. It would also involve showings on Max, the company’s streaming service. The sale has not closed, so it’s possible it could collapse at the eleventh hour, but the negotiations are exclusive.

Heading into the festival, “Super/Man” was expected to be one of the biggest sales of the event’s 40th edition. Before the movie was screened in Park City for audiences and buyers, several studios and streamers were already planning to bid aggressively to land rights. The pact is for global rights and is in the $14 million to $15 million range.
    Wouldn’t surprise me if this was bought in part as an apology for how they seemingly didn’t get the ok from the Reeve’s Family to use him in Flash.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Apparently he liked his role in Remains of the Day better.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I wonder how this will be marketed overall. Sounds like it has the feel of a true indie documentary. Def not a blockbuster type film.

Regardless, it looks like a pretty intense watch that's both sad and uplifting. Lots of tears in the audience when it premiered at Sundance.

Review of the film:
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...stival-ovation
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

This could be interesting.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Warner Bros. Discovery Finalizes Deal For Buzzy Sundance Doc ‘Super/Man: The Christopher Reeve Story’

Less than a week after we reported on Warner Bros. Discovery’s circling of buzzy Sundance documentary Super/Man: The Christopher Reeve Story, the studio has closed the deal valued at $15M, Deadline has learned, acquiring worldwide rights to the pic, which was one of the most buzzed-about titles of this year’s festival.

WBD’s DC Studios, Warner Bros. Motion Pictures, HBO, CNN Films and Max jointly sought out the project and will collaborate on the film’s global release across theatrical and home viewing release windows. Super/Man‘s deal with the studio was natural given that it’s the home of the Superman films, which shot Reeve to stardom, before the tragic horse riding accident that left him a quadriplegic dependent on a ventilator to breathe.

“Everyone at Warner Bros. Discovery is incredibly proud to come together as one company to partner with Christopher Reeve’s family and the filmmakers behind Super/Man: The Christopher Reeve Story and bring his personal journey to audiences the world over,” said a spokesperson for the studio. “WBD’s DC Studios, Warner Bros. Motion Pictures, HBO, CNN Films and Max are grateful for the opportunity to honor one of our company’s most cherished creative partners and to celebrate Christopher’s rich life and career.”

Ian Bonhote and Peter Ettedgui directed the film, focused on how Reeve found strength and purpose through disability activism, and co-wrote with Otto Burnham. Pic’s producers include Bonhote, Robert Ford, and Lizzie Gillett. Exec producers are Daniel Kilroy, Kristen Lappas, Marie Margolius, Mark Meatto, David Moulton, Andee Ryder and Connor Schell.

Cinetic Media repped the project’s sale.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/super-m...ks-1235812548/

https://www.instagram.com/p/C22xHRpPHo7/

I wonder if his son the ABC reporter has ever been approached by Warner Bros. producers/executives about auditioning for the new movie before the newest guy was selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wonder if his son the ABC reporter has ever been approached by Warner Bros. producers/executives about auditioning for the new movie before the newest guy was selected.
    Doubt he was ever considered for the role.

He’s not an actor, nepotism can‘t get you a leading role when you haven’t even tried to enter the same field. I had no clue he was a reporter, that’s hilariously on the nose
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

‘Super/Man’: Christopher Reeve’s Courage and Strength Is Immortalized in First Trailer for Warner Bros. Doc

CinemaCon 2024: The inspirational tearjerker will be released in September

DC Studios Co-Chief Peter Safran hit the CinemaCon stage on Tuesday to introduce the “Super/Man: The Christopher Reeve Story” documentary, to give it “the launch it deserves.”

“Hands down, he was Superman from day one,” director Richard Donner said in the doc. “He convinced me a man can fly.” Footage from the first trailer included archival footage and interviews with Reeve’s children and friends like Glenn Close.

“Everyone at Warner Bros. Discovery is incredibly proud to come together as one company to partner with Christopher Reeve’s family and the filmmakers behind ‘Super/Man: The Christopher Reeve Story’ and bring his personal journey to audiences the world over,” a WBD spokesperson said in a statement. “WBD’s DC Studios, Warner Bros. Motion Pictures, HBO, CNN Films and Max are grateful for the opportunity to honor one of our company’s most cherished creative partners and to celebrate Christopher’s rich life and career.”

Warner Bros. Discovery acquired worldwide rights to the buzzy documentary “Super/Man: The Christopher Reeve Story,” which received critical acclaim following its world premiere at the 2024 Sundance film festival. The documentary was acquired for $15 million, as TheWrap previously reported.

WBD’s DC Studios, Warner Bros. Motion Pictures, HBO, CNN Films and Max jointly sought out the project and will collaborate on the film’s global release across its theatrical and home viewing release windows.

The film will hit theaters in September.

https://www.thewrap.com/super-man-ch...r-warner-bros/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Really looking forward to this.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

I think this might be far too sad for me to watch; he was such....well Superman to me. The epitome of goodness. I know he probably wasn't, but I prefer to hold on to my ideas of him.