Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Things you enjoyed when you were twelve years old?

Neil Gaiman wrote that " the golden age of science fiction is when you are twelve".

I think he's got a point. When I was a twelve year old in 1985 I liked :

The Terminator- got lucky and saw it at the flicks also saw Back to the future that year. Would count the days before the next episode of "V" and the Transformers. In comics I loved black suit spidey and Marvel Star wars.
    Also liked the interplanetary secret agent and time traveller choose your own adventure books.

And YOU?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Neil Gaiman wrote that " the golden age of science fiction is when you are twelve".

The Terminator- got lucky and saw it at the flicks also saw Back to the future that year. Would count the days before the next episode of "V" and the Transformers. In comics I loved black suit spidey and Marvel Star wars.
    Also liked the interplanetary secret agent and time traveller choose your own adventure books.

And YOU?
    Battlestar Galactica - 1st TV series
    Justice League of America comic
    Superman the film

1967 was a lean year. At least Star Trek was on.
    Now 1968 is another story, with the greatest SCiFi movie of all time.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    … 1968 … the greatest SCiFi movie of all time.
    ^^^Barbarella!

1980 for me was pretty much books, comics, cartoons, movies, smoking weed.

Mighty Member

(THANKS) also enjoyed the Manimal show in 85...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

For me, that would be 1971. Unfortunately, I can’t remember particularly things I liked, only general things:

Comic books
    Watching baseball
    Sugar Frosted Flakes for breakfast
    Saturday morning cartoons
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Star Wars was the big sci fi thing. Action figures and accessories. I was younger than that when I was obsessed with Tom Baker's Doctor Who, and watched shows like Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica. Not sure if V was maybe then? And when was The Last Starfighter? I liked that movie. I was around 12, within a year or two.

X-Men. Teen Titans. Any superhero cartoon. Saturday morning pro wrestling.
    Last edited by useridgoeshere; 02-02-2024 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    …Unfortunately, I can’t remember particularly things I liked, only general things
    ^^^Same, so I went general as well.

TBH, a lot of my favorite music, books, comics, and movies would come out within the next decade, but by 1980 I definitely had the things I liked fully rooted in my noggin.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post

And YOU?
    For me, it was Robocop a couple of years later...

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-28-2024 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Battlestar Galactica - 1st TV series
    Justice League of America comic
    Superman the film
    I may be wrong but I believe there was also the Filmation cartoon of Flash Gordon on Saturday mornings. Loved that cartoon.

Boisterously Confused

I was 12 on the release of Star Wars (lack of subtitle intentional)

I got T2 and so many awesome kids shows and more back in '91. From Darkwing Duck to the Pirates of Dark Water and from Hook to the Addams Family, it was a great year for the young me & entertainment. It was the age of the Ninja Rap.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I was 12 on the release of Star Wars (lack of subtitle intentional)
    I was also 12 the year Star Wars came out in 1977 and that blew my mind. On TV, The Six Million Dollar Man was still on, as was the case with Wonder Woman and The Bionic Woman (man, they were so hot!), Star Trek, in reruns for almost a decade by this time, was the favorite TV show of my childhood.

That same year was also the one I started watching Monty Python and Benny Hill semi-regularly (and religiously within a year or two). I can remember seeing SCTV once that year, but it was the '80s version that I couldn't get enough of. A lot of the sitcoms of that time (Happy Days, Welcome Back, Kotter, Laverne & Shirley, etc.) were seen by my brothers and myself every week, though I couldn't stay up beyond 9 PM for the later shows.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

I’m a Millenial from 1990, so...

- The American cartoon I watched nearly religiously: Justice League
    - The Anime I’d moved onto after Pokémon: Zoids (both New Century and Chaotic Century)
    - The movie I spoiled myself on with the internet in my first “online investigation”, got hyped up for, and enjoyed way too much: Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (though I hyped myself up by rewatching Return of the Jedi near-religiously, and there’s a lot more to my Star Wars obsession during this time period...)
    - The Comics I was ecstatic to get my hands on a few issues of: Star Wars - Jango Fett: Open Seasons, and Young Justice.
    - The Young Adult book series I was reading: Young Jedi Knights
    - The Classic Literature I was reading: Sherlock Holmes
    - The Pre-Wikipedia fictional sourcebooks my mom bought me at a garage sale and I basically memorized: Star Wars Essential Guide To Characters.

(I’d begin my neediness a couple of years earlier thanks to the Batman, Spider-Man, and Superman Animated Series, some antique and library copies of the Death and Retrun of Superman, the Ninja Turtles movies, and as probably realized earlier, Pokémon.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Unfiltered Pall Malls and Old Milwaukee beer.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 02-05-2024 at 04:55 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe