Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default X-Men Unlimited #124 - Fall of X #4 - Review/Spoilers

Title page recap:
    Orchis made off with all the mutants under protection at Camp Gozhoo, so Thunderbird has joined up with Mirage, who has let him know these are not the only mutants who have been kidnapped. Mirage has formed a network of mutant heroes and allies to find them, including both Captain Britain, working public relations in the UK, and Shatterstar, who arrives to teleport them to their base of operations - X-Corps Island. Meanwhile, other mutant children continue to be taken... by the mysterious long-lived mutant Externals!

We're on X-Corps Island over the Pacific Ocean. This issue serves as a great introduction to the island and the whole setup. As Dani, Thunderbird, and Shatterstar arrive, Dani tells John that it's been a lot of work getting it up and running but it's home. "Another island, Moonstar? Real groundbreakin'" he says.

John notes that the island would have come in handy before Orchis got the upper hand. Dani says adapting the island from its original purpose took time, and that only the right mutant gifts can keep the island transparent to Orchis' sensors. We learn that the first mutant recruited was Madrox! His dupes steer the ship, keep the island's inner workings turning and burning, and ensure everyone is fed and fueled. We see some dupes working in a garden, one of them complaining that they need to find a mutant who can grow potatoes faster. Madrox is a one-man crew.

"Layla Miller might be semiretired but she picked up more than a few sleuthing skills in her day and we need all the intel we can get."

As the three continue to walk Dani explains that X-Corps is a network. While the X-Men are out there fighting, X-Corps is more of a culture of defiance. So many mutants were scattered by the gala attack, some farther than others.

John suggests putting "culture of defiance" on a t-shirt and he'll buy two and cut off the sleeves. He says big talk and big ideas are great but this culture is light on fighters. Shatterstar does a fighting pose with his swords and says they're anything but. He says he's due for a spar and if John plays his cards right he'll invite him to one. He's funny.

Dani says the island's got two technopaths working its brain and that she imagines someone must be running its heart. "But lately, he's the private type." We see the core engine of the island, a giant ball, with a shadowed figure inside of it. We're not told who he is yet. John is concerned about X-Corps being able to get the job done since things went south at Camp Gozhoo. He says if he could save the kidnapped mutants himself he would but he only has two hands. Dani assures him that they'll find the mutants, the ones from the Camp and all the others. When they do he fists will be working overtime.

We're now with the kidnapped mutants, Somnus and Cerebra among them. A scared purple mutant asks them if they can get them out of there but we learn their shackles made of bone are suppressing their X-genes. Cerebra says she glimpsed their captors and their DNA is impossibly old. "One bent and rendered bone, not unlike how Pyro wield fire and the other's X-gene connects him to primal magic. Neither are native to the region." The region being Nova Roma! That's where they're being held.

Three Orchis soldiers enter the chamber and one says it's time to feed the beast and the kids are first on the menu. As they approach Somnus punches one of their helmets off and is mortified to see that the soldier's face is zombie-like.

Somnus: "What?! You... you're..."
    The solider confirms: "Dead - yeah. And renovated. We're all running on a new kind of fuel, mutie... and it ain't the holy spirit. We were Orchis. But these days...
    Last edited by JB; 01-29-2024 at 03:32 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

"Next: The United Kingdom versus Captain Britain!"

Wow, this story keeps getting better and better! I love the whole X-Corps setup and the introduction of more mutants in the network. I'm happy Madrox, Layla, Davey, Trinary, and Wiz-Kid are all alive and working. I'm very curious about the mystery mutant powering the heart of the island. I love this island and frankly I'd love for it to stick around after this era!

Selene as the villain is exactly what I was hoping for. This isn't going to be easy, dealing with her and the other Externals. I'm excited to see what next issue brings and how Betsy has been utilizing her public platform in the fight. Let's go!
    Last edited by JB; 01-28-2024 at 11:20 PM.

Ah yes FINALLY !

Mighty Member

Magma needs to show up in this!

Spectacular Member

This is still the reason I subscribed Marvel Unlimited. It'll be nice if the Avengers one has the same quality as this because Avengers United is mostly a 'side' story to the flagship Avengers book with the SAME team roster and not reserved members or the Young Avenges/Champions. Steve Foxe keeps me hyped up for Dead X-men #1 this week. Trinary and Wiz Kid have been AWOL for a while until this issue.

Incredible Member

Wasn't Wiz Kid in charge of SWORD?

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Magma needs to show up in this!
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherflash View Post
    This is still the reason I subscribed Marvel Unlimited. It'll be nice if the Avengers one has the same quality as this because Avengers United is mostly a 'side' story to the flagship Avengers book with the SAME team roster and not reserved members or the Young Avenges/Champions. Steve Foxe keeps me hyped up for Dead X-men #1 this week. Trinary and Wiz Kid have been AWOL for a while until this issue.
    Yeah I was surprised that they cancelled the previous Avengers unlimited run then rebooted it with the current story. Highlighting other characters that aren't being used in the main books is the way to go imo. Very happy to see Wiz-Kid and Trinary as she was part of the previous X-Corps too. Now that I think about it so was Selene lol

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Wasn't Wiz Kid in charge of SWORD?
    Indeed he was although I don't think we really saw him ever since he was given that role. During the Genesis War Peepers and Hairbag were the only ones on the station I believe.
    Last edited by JB; 01-29-2024 at 03:42 AM.

Layla

Maybe I will renew my subscription if she gets some good exposure.

Heavy on, “this is the reason I’m still subscribed to Unlimited.” More of an exposition issue, but still got me hype.

I will say it’s a little disappointing that instead of integrating some more diverse characters into the main finale in FotHoX/ RotPoX, the the solution was to just throw together all the leftover minority characters into Unlimited.

Not a dig on the Steves, they’ve got all my appreciation for actually using these characters, but moreso on the X-Office for still lacking when it comes to meaningful representation.

Loving how the Steves are picking up threads from Immortal, Marauders, Excalibur, Unlimited, Giant Size Thunderbird, X-Corps, SWORD and creating a whole new thing out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Heavy on, “this is the reason I’m still subscribed to Unlimited.” More of an exposition issue, but still got me hype.

I will say it’s a little disappointing that instead of integrating some more diverse characters into the main finale in FotHoX/ RotPoX, the the solution was to just throw together all the leftover minority characters into Unlimited.

Not a dig on the Steves, they’ve got all my appreciation for actually using these characters, but moreso on the X-Office for still lacking when it comes to meaningful representation.
    Big Same Kingdom X.

RE Exposition:
    I did find my brow furling as the merry go round of argument/explanation kept spinning BUT Dani's breakdown of who, what, where, when, why were all very welcome to that very specific world building (or floating city building, in this case).

RE Not a dig on the Steves: TRULY. Since the Redroot Rescue arc, the Steves have been weaving mutant magic and filling Krakoan gate gaps with riveting stories that SHOULD HAVE made the floppy shelves. The depth and emotion they've managed to achieve in this format is a testament to their talent and a boon to the craft. Its been a joy seeing characters who are far too often overlooked and undersung rally -- and so impressively so! But there is an undeniable pang of melancholy knowing that SO MANY READERS aren't as fortunate/privileged to access these stories -- and the likelihood they'll ever make it to print is slim to none ( STILL waiting on that Luciano Vecchio Iceman solo, Marvel)

I had lunch last week with a buddy of mine and he was completely unaware of the Redroot Saga, or Firestar's BTS of Orchis, etc. and deeply bummed out. He's been patiently waiting for all those story arcs to hit his pull list and I had to break it to him they'd already been released on Unlimited. He went through and read them all right then and there in the booth next to me and was ELATED in the moment but again-- can't escape that pang of disappointment about being unable to reread or collect these gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Loving how the Steves are picking up threads from Immortal, Marauders, Excalibur, Unlimited, Giant Size Thunderbird, X-Corps, SWORD and creating a whole new thing out of it.
    It's like they're constructing a warm quilt of patchwork with the different threads that feels so satisfying and cozy. I smiled when Dani said they adapted the island from its original purpose because in a way that's what the Steves are doing, adapting all of these pieces and bringing them together. Finding and bringing in scattered mutants indeed.

I feel the same as you, Fokken. I wish more people could read these stories now that they're so connected to the printed books. I'm glad your friend was able to enjoy them for that moment in the booth! I'm holding on strongly to hope that this particular story has a chance of being printed because of how long it is. Giving it the title "Fall of X" makes it important and it should absolutely be included in collections.

The Poster FKA Firebaton ThomBoleyn's Avatar

The cackle I let out at that last page reveal.

I am LOVING this story, I'm hoping it gets collected in an omnibus when they collect all the Fall of X materials like the Inferno omnibus with just the tie-ins. They can put this in with all the miniseries like Realm of X and what not. It's too great of character beats not to be collected.
    I don't post often, but I like to chime in now and again.

Its crazy to me that these stories arent in a main title.

When I say rotating cast THIS i what I want.

Its not that difficult to spotlight characters people want to see but editorial makes it seem like it is.

This proves to me that it really is certain writers only wanting to write certain characters which is a bummer because they could so easily sway fan favor by just giving us little nuggets of lesser known characters.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Its crazy to me that these stories arent in a main title.

When I say rotating cast THIS i what I want.

Its not that difficult to spotlight characters people want to see but editorial makes it seem like it is.

This proves to me that it really is certain writers only wanting to write certain characters which is a bummer because they could so easily sway fan favor by just giving us little nuggets of lesser known characters.
    To some extend yes, but I also think since the pressure to sell units is removed there is less restrictions around the roster. In one of his past interviews JDW mentioned that he would recommend (and as head editor, mandate is probably a more accurate description) writers use a certain amount of A-listers or at least not put out a team full of C/D listers because of sales concerns.