Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Selene Appreciation 2024

There was no appreciation for one of my fav X supervillains.. the very scary (and rather underused) Selene. I hope we see plenty of her in 2024.

Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Certainly the X-Men's best dressed villain.

Gotta rep OG Selene. Easy to forget she debuted in New Mutants first. I like the more old school evil goddess aesthetic. She's like, 15,000 years old or something. I'm sure she despises modernity.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 01-29-2024 at 06:42 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    The most underappreciated x-villain!

The first mutant. And the mutant who really cares the least about anything.

I still think that the entire Arrako backstory X-Men gave to Apocalypse would have made a lot more send with Selene. There are thousands and thousands of years where we have still no idea what she has done with herself. Apocalypse is such a cute youngster in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I just happened by the cover of New Mutants forever #1 and then proceeded to google some pics of hers. I wholesome agree.
    I think her costume/looks since X-Corps has been amazing (artists get credit for rendering her), I can't seem to find any pic of her in Krakoa's drawn less than fabulous.

Her Necrosha arc will always have a precious spot in my heart.

Anyway can suggest some interesting story from the past (not Necrosha) revolving around her when she's stunning (and evil)?
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Her arrival in Uncanny was great, hunting down Rachel. Their fight in that guy's apartment was really cool.

Her role in the Kulan Gath 2-parter was minor but potent.

Those are both in Uncanny between 180-190's or so. I think they(the X-Men and the Inner Circle) fought Nimrod somewhere around there too, but I forget her role in that.

Honestly she could use more stories. I didn't like her use recently in the Krakoa era, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

Gotta rep OG Selene. Easy to forget she debuted in New Mutants first. I like the more old school evil goddess aesthetic. She's like, 15,000 years old or something. I'm sure she despises modernity.
    She actually loves the modern world, more people to feed on (their healthier and better groomed too)and it's full of all the decadent, perverse pleasures she could want.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

She was there for Atlantis, right? Even if she wasn't I bet humans are all gross now, full of microplastics, GMO soy, nanobots, and antidepressants. Humans used to be noble, heroic, and all organic/free range. I bet she despises how humanity has fallen.

She was there for Atlantis, right? Even if she wasn't I bet humans are all gross now, full of microplastics, GMO soy, nanobots, and antidepressants. Humans used to be noble, heroic, and all organic/free range. I bet she despises how humanity has fallen.
    She was born after the fall of Atlantis during the Hyborian Era and was a contemporary of Conan, Red Sonja and Kulan Gath. When Gath attempt to turn the world in a recreation of of the Hyborian Era, she helped the heroes stop him and said that she prefers the modern age for all the reasons I stated earlier. Prior to the modern era her favorite time and civilization was pre-christian Rome, which is why she founded Nova Roma.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Her arrival in Uncanny was great, hunting down Rachel. Their fight in that guy's apartment was really cool.

Her role in the Kulan Gath 2-parter was minor but potent.

Those are both in Uncanny between 180-190's or so. I think they(the X-Men and the Inner Circle) fought Nimrod somewhere around there too, but I forget her role in that.

Honestly she could use more stories. I didn't like her use recently in the Krakoa era, unfortunately.
    That JR Jr. panel of her introduction to the Hellfire Club is still in my top ten favourite images of all my comic book reading years. Along with the corresponding Sienkiewicz opening splash page across in New Mutants.

His very lazy, by-the-way treatment and writing of Selene is why I dropped IXM after issue 02 and Gillenister is on my List. It's a travesty what he did to her. That said, she's back to full Evil Immortal External Goddess mode as I recently saw on the X and I'm happy but also cautious, because we know what eventually happens to the really bad baddies.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I think her issue in the current era was that the writers wanted to use Mother Righteous as one of the antagonists and probably felt Selene was pretty much the same type of villain. I much prefer Selene personally, and I hope that she and the Externals can make it as big villains in the next era. At least she is being utilized in Unlimited.

Amazing Member

Seleeeeene!

Our black queen has had a number of machinations during the Krakoan era, which hopefully these upcoming XMU issues might address:
    - Accepting the job of monitoring Krakoa's energy in-take
    - Ambitions with X-Corp
    - Ambitions with the Quiet Council (outside of the Externals) and being part of the resurrection protocols
    - Shenanigans with siding with Apocalypse against the Externals, and then getting the Externals returned and under her bidding
    - Plots with Coven Akkaba
    - Plots with Mother Righteous (outside of QC and resurrection) and Orchis
    - Eating mutie kids again
    (yes, some of these are kind of answered so far, but honestly, she remains an enigma about what her true intentions are! and the writers are all over the place)

I was hoping that the Krakoan age would shed some nuance to her immortal arrogance like it did with Apocalypse, but that has yet to be seen. I just hope that, however the x office uses Selene again, they are reminded that she is more complex than just being some haughty, impatient goddess (though we adore that for her). She is also patient and hunts, and plots, especially when it comes to the likes of enemies like Kulan Gath, Rachel Summers, Emma Frost, Sebastian Stan, etc.
    Last edited by vbeacon; 01-30-2024 at 03:17 PM.

Not gonna lie, I loved Necrosha and think its underrated

She was in rare form as God Queen Selene and I also loved her Inner Circle

I really wanted to see more of them
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-30-2024 at 05:19 PM.

Also... Selene actually went and resurrected Blink WITHOUT any of that Krakoa nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Not gonna lie, I loved Necrosha and think its underrated

She was in rare form as God Queen Selene and I also loved her Inner Circle

I really wanted to see more of them
    What Necrosha did for Selene was indeed absolutely marvelous. I loved it. Her lore became so fascinating! She became one of the most amazing X-villains in my eyes. Gillen really cheapened her during his current run. Not sure why this was necessary (I guess to push his pet character Mother Righteous).