Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Oh Where Have You Gone .....Ronald McDonald ?

He disappeared out of our lives so quick , in a flash ....in a cloud of our memories we have. But at one time , this man above was the biggest ICON to us growing up.

As a kid growing up in the 1980s , my parents would tell us about going to McDonald's. To us kids , it was like going to some far away magic land. Where burgers and McNuggets were sold. Plus , oh man ....we could run into Playland and have a fun time too.

The entire restaurant inside looked like it was made to be a kids dream world. One where you could get a Happy Meal and sit at the fun tables. Plus as I said above....PLAYLAND.

The 1980s McDonald's commercials were just TOPS as well. Whoever put them together was really on his game. Because honestly....watch these and tell me you wouldn't wanna go there to eat or hang out ?

The leader of all this merry fun was Ronald McDonald. The clown who would make kids laugh and hand them burgers or stop the Hamburgler from stealing all the burgers ! Ronald McDonald was the icon that stirred it all and growing up he was front and center. In all the advertising and more.

Then in early 2000s , Ronald was phased out. He was sent away due to a guy who spent 30 straight days , 3 meals a day , no exercise eating nothing but McDonalds. Super sizing when asked and watching himself ruin his health in a documentary.

People scrambled to blame something and one of the things they blamed was the advertising to kids and Ronald McDonald. So this had McDonald's decide to bench Ronald and end an era of fun , silly commercials and decide that they had to stop parents from not doing their jobs as parents with junk food.

The past decade McDonald's has taken small steps to bring back characters. The side characters that people grew up with like the Hamburgler. Except the TV advertisement was so creepy , it was pulled within months because they refused to market the character back to kids again.

But even now , we sit and wonder....where have you gone Ronald McDonald ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I just saw a tiktok of a guy dressed up like some neo goth Joker version of Ronald McDonald, then immediately saw this thread. Am I in a simulation?
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I just saw a tiktok of a guy dressed up like some neo goth Joker version of Ronald McDonald, then immediately saw this thread. Am I in a simulation?
    .................................................. .. yes..........
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

In truth, Ronald McDonald was around for approximately 60 years longer than he should have been. He was never funny, never wise, never made anyone want to eat at McDonalds, and was super duper creepy with his big shoes and dumb clown ways. Grimace makes a much better spokesperson for a wide variety of reasons.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I don’t care what anyone says, this ain’t right…:

When I was like 5 years old there was a Ronald McDonald at the local store doing pics and stuff. he was letting kids sit on his lap which was kind of creepy now that I think about it. I really had to go to the bathroom but my mom was insistent that I get my picture taken with this clown. I ended up pissing my pants and there for pissing on Ronald. He was not pleased and w you never heard a clown cuss so much.

I do miss the Fry Guys!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    When I was like 5 years old there was a Ronald McDonald at the local store doing pics and stuff. he was letting kids sit on his lap which was kind of creepy now that I think about it. I really had to go to the bathroom but my mom was insistent that I get my picture taken with this clown. I ended up pissing my pants and there for pissing on Ronald. He was not pleased and w you never heard a clown cuss so much.

I do miss the Fry Guys!
    I can see him going , this would never happen in McDonaldland !”

Never got to see the clown in person. Or anyone dressed as him or the other characters in person.

I always wondered though…..what in the blue hell is a Grimace?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Clowns have been deemed creepy by society.

Grimace is Grimace. I tried the Grimace shake. Luckily, I didn't die from it like so many of those poor people on Tik Tok.

I feel like I saw Hamburglar in an ad recently. Brian Cox is doing his usual deal and then says something like, "we've been hamburgled."

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I can see him going , this would never happen in McDonaldland !”

Never got to see the clown in person. Or anyone dressed as him or the other characters in person.

I always wondered though…..what in the blue hell is a Grimace?
    I read somewhere that Grimace is a life sized taste bud.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Last edited by Tami; 02-01-2024 at 10:51 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Mighty Member

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Clowns have been deemed creepy by society.
    Which I have never understood, since I was a fan of both Ronald and Bozo the Clown going back to the late '60s as a preschooler.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

I loved Ronald McDonald as a kid. I liked all the characters for McDonalds.

I collected all the glasses that had pictures of the McDonalds gang. I even had a board game.

I was McDonalds crazy as a kid. French Fries were my favorite food and of course McDonalds had the best back then.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I loved Ronald McDonald as a kid. I liked all the characters for McDonalds.

I collected all the glasses that had pictures of the McDonalds gang. I even had a board game.

I was McDonalds crazy as a kid. French Fries were my favorite food and of course McDonalds had the best back then.
    A couple of my siblings had both a Ronald McDonald and Hamburglar doll. We were all crazy for the food, too. One other thing: I can't recall one person thinking Ronald McDonald was creepy when I was growing up during the '70s.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

Apparently Stephen King based Pennywise from IT on a Ronald Mcdonald performer he saw smoking a cig ...