Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Are any of you going to attend this year's draft? I have a buddy who went to the oneast year, and he had a blast. He even got on TV a couple of times when the Steelers were picking, and they cut to the fans! Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Regarding Simpson's passing by way of the NFL, I knew he still held Buffalo records. Come to find out he's #2 behind only Thurman Thomas. Which is fkn astounding on a couple levels. Mostly that those two HOF's played a decade plus apart from their peaks and the fact that Thomas hasn't played in nearly 25 years. Those Marv Leevy teams standout more considering there have been decades of ineptitude around that franchise since the jump. Those Superbowl losses will forever keep them from being thought of in the way the Jets and Browns as the bottom of the barrel in terms of winning, but outside of Josh Allen, they've never been far.

Anyway, only 1500 yards separate OJ from the #10 man (Dorsett) on the NFL All-time rushing list. Only 1,000 odd yards separate #'s 11-20.

Jim Brown and Orenthal seem to me are the oldest players on the All-Time list, actually the only guys that on the list that I would not have a recollection of ever seeing play (in my mind Jim Brown and OJ are movies stars first... for the most part.) Well, actually Riggins, Dorestt, and Franco I didn't see either but seem to me there were a bit more recent but they weren't before my time. Before my NFL viewing time but I was alive. Franco passed away too, I forgot, damn. Surprised Corey Dillon is still on here. Shoutout to the Indianapolis Colts players on the All-Time list in Edge, Faulk and Dickerson.
    Marcus Allen would be higher on the list, except for the fact that Al Davis made him sit for a bunch of games one year out of spite.

The biggest surprise to me on that list is Curtis Martin. I had no idea he was top ten, and had forgotten all about him. Like Payton, Simpson and Harris, he played in a much different and more punishing era for running backs.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 04-12-2024 at 12:57 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

What's interesting is that the first active player on the list is Derrick Henry, with 9500 yards, about half of Smith's record. I know it has become a passing league, but it looks like no one will come close for a long time.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What's interesting is that the first active player on the list is Derrick Henry, with 9500 yards, about half of Smith's record. I know it has become a passing league, but it looks like no one will come close for a long time.
    With the extra game now, some chugging RB that stays healthy like a Frank Gore type will get there IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    With the extra game now, some chugging RB that stays healthy like a Frank Gore type will get there IMHO.
    I'm not so sure, considering how the position has become so devalued. First, you need to have the RB become valuable enough that the coach won't send him packing once he starts costing money.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Marcus Allen would be higher on the list, except for the fact that Al Davis made him sit for a bunch of games one year out of spite.

The biggest surprise to me on that list is Curtis Martin. I had no idea he was top ten, and had forgotten all about him. Like Payton, Simpson and Harris, he played in a much different and more punishing era for running backs.
    I forgot that, also didn't once Bo showed up Marcus loose a ton of playing time.

The NFL's current copyright bumper with all the running backs concludes with Curtis Martin so seeing that kept him in my memory, understandably there is no OJ in the clip. Jets must have 3 guys in the Hall after 5 decades. I always remember him speaking on how the thought of Parcells as the closest thing to a father he ever had and meant that ****. He was a bull and never even got to the playoffs for all those yards and that place on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Never will again. Which is most of the reason why King Henry is looked at like he is. The regulars here know, but you have to be of some age at this point to understand the NFL Runningback was the star of the team and the league more times than not. It's always been about the QB but in terms of popularity and the work, anytime you talk about things like the grace and beauty of a certain time in the league, it was about Sweetness, Barry, Marcus Allen and a the of others. Jim Brown DRUG those teams before the Superbowl era on his position alone. Orenthal was first to run 2,000 yards, in Buffalo, WHEN THEY PLAYED 14 GAMES... Laugh out loud, hell even what we thing about the abilities of offensive linemen in general is somewhat different since the de-emphasis of the runningback.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Maybe the RB will come back into prominence once Mahomes and others start to age and slow down or can't move as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Maybe the RB will come back into prominence once Mahomes and others start to age and slow down or can't move as well.
    Its metrics. Teams can get the prime years for a RB on their rookie salaries, whereas prime is a bit later for QBs and WRs. So teams save money by rotating rookie or "has been" RBs in and out and stacking the team with a good QB and a couple of good WRs and pay them well to stay. QBs and WRs are the core. RBs are viewed in many ways as a gimmick or just another pass option.

A large part of it is also that for at least ten years the league has specifically protected the passing game more and more, which extends careers. The running game gets no such priority. If thats going to change, things need to get more physical for the QBs and WRs again. Or ... you could do something really nuts and have rules that make it more attractive and less punishing to do the run game.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 04-14-2024 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I dont think that will be the case. There will always be QBs to take their place. Every couple of years there is a really good Qb. Stroud in Houston, Williams coming out of the draft.

THe RB will be needed in teams with out a good QB but those teams have other problems that will make an RB less effective there. And good luck getting coaches to try and increase the value of RBs in a QB driven league.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The Kelce brothers did their podcast in Cincy last week. And it turns out that Travis Kelce lost his Super Bowl ring. They played a game where he put his ring in a sock and put the sock in a pool full of skyline chili. People had to fish around the pool and find the sock with the ring. But as it turns out no one did. Now the ring is lost.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The Kelce brothers did their podcast in Cincy last week. And it turns out that Travis Kelce lost his Super Bowl ring. They played a game where he put his ring in a sock and put the sock in a pool full of skyline chili. People had to fish around the pool and find the sock with the ring. But as it turns out no one did. Now the ring is lost.
    Yeah, I heard about it on the local news this morning. Talk about a real facepalm moment! I mean, really, if Kelce was gonna pull a stunt like that, do it with a replica ring, not the real McCoy. Sheesh!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Former Bears and Colts GM Bill Tobin has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Former Bears and Colts GM Bill Tobin has passed away.
    Aw wow, Colts GM back in the 'Count On Losing This Sunday' days.
    RIP.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So someone pocketed it from the chili. With friends like that ...

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

If no one remembers , Tobin is the guy who went off on Mel Kiper back during the 1994 NFL draft. Kiper in that article praised him …hard to believe 30 years has passed that quick.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.