Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Kansas City has seemingly been quiet in free agency due to the big deals they made with Chris Jones , Tranquell and Sneed. They did sign Irv Smith Jr. as a backup TE. To help spell Travis Kelce as he's getting older next season.
    Kelce is what, 34? 35? How much gas does he have left in the tank? He has three rings, and his place in Canton is already reserved, I wouldn't be surprised if this upcoming season winds up being his last.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Kelce is what, 34? 35? How much gas does he have left in the tank? He has three rings, and his place in Canton is already reserved, I wouldn't be surprised if this upcoming season winds up being his last.
    Kelce has claimed he wants to own all the TE marks ...he's chasing Gonzalez. No idea if he will do it or not. Right now at age 34 (he turns 35 in middle of season) Kelce is 3,800 yards away from passing Gonzalez on career list.

A big factor on his non 1,000+ yard season (his 1st in 8 seasons) was due to how bad the WRs were and how KC decided to limit him near the end , to save up for the playoff run.

But they need to get a young dynamic TE ready in the wings soon. Because he's getting up there now.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Kelce has claimed he wants to own all the TE marks ...he's chasing Gonzalez. No idea if he will do it or not. Right now at age 34 (he turns 35 in middle of season) Kelce is 3,800 yards away from passing Gonzalez on career list.

A big factor on his non 1,000+ yard season (his 1st in 8 seasons) was due to how bad the WRs were and how KC decided to limit him near the end , to save up for the playoff run.

But they need to get a young dynamic TE ready in the wings soon. Because he's getting up there now.
    At most, Kelce will need four more seasons to catch and pass Gonzalez. Frankly speaking, I'm not sure that's doable.

Kelce might be chasing records, but the one he wants is the threepeat. Winning 3 SBs in a row. I think whatever the outcome of next season, I could see it as his last.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Kelce has avoided the injury bug, no?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Maan, FcukTravis Kelce! It's getting so tough to be able to even get a statement like that off anymore...

The worst you can say is I'd STILL rather have Gronkowski over Kelce but that's ALL-TIME at the position. Gonzalez was a great but any fan of the NFL has to admit Kelce has lapped him in any metric you have. Other than doing more with less I guess. As I point at Elvis Gerbac.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Kelce has avoided the injury bug, no?
    He’s had some age issues with sore back and all from what I remember last year. TE is a physically demanding position for sure. I can see him pushing a couple more seasons at best if he stays ok. But unless KC gets better WRs and all…his effectiveness will be less.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

He’s had some age issues with sore back and all from what I remember last year. TE is a physically demanding position for sure. I can see him pushing a couple more seasons at best if he stays ok. But unless KC gets better WRs and all…his effectiveness will be less.
    A good RB that can catch will open him up, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    A good RB that can catch will open him up, too.
    KC plotted out McKinnon and Pacheco well last year. KC will likely do a number of 2 TE packages with Smith now signed.

But they do need a pure #1 to pair with Rice next year. Rice came on by end of the season. But he needs help across as no one else seemed good.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Maan, FcukTravis Kelce! It's getting so tough to be able to even get a statement like that off anymore...

The worst you can say is I'd STILL rather have Gronkowski over Kelce but that's ALL-TIME at the position. Gonzalez was a great but any fan of the NFL has to admit Kelce has lapped him in any metric you have. Other than doing more with less I guess. As I point at Elvis Gerbac.
    Gonzalez also played with Damon Huard , Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen etc. Trent Green was ok in that span. But Gonzalez being the key guy to stop for years with a run of bad QBs shows his value.

Gronk never played with anyone but Brady. He rejected a trade to Detroit to prove he could do it without Brady.

I can’t hold Gronk as the greatest because he had the greatest QB of all time throwing to him.

Gonzalez also played with Damon Huard , Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen etc. Trent Green was ok in that span. But Gonzalez being the key guy to stop for years with a run of bad QBs shows his value.

Gronk never played with anyone but Brady. He rejected a trade to Detroit to prove he could do it without Brady.

I can’t hold Gronk as the greatest because he had the greatest QB of all time throwing to him.
    Does Gronk have the numbers for Canton? A lot of people forgot that in the beginning, he was part of a TE tandem in New England with Aaron Hernandez who, if he hadn't lost his mind and turned psycho, leading to his ouster, Gronk might never have become Brady's favorite target.

Does Gronk have the numbers for Canton? A lot of people forgot that in the beginning, he was part of a TE tandem in New England with Aaron Hernandez who, if he hadn't lost his mind and turned psycho, leading to his ouster, Gronk might never have become Brady's favorite target.
    He was a favorite red zone target before then, but less so between the 20s as he would later become.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I think he does really. Gronk to me isn't the greatest TE (that is Tony of course...) but when Gronk played , he was a dominant player in his prime. His TE numbers with 621 receptions for 9,286 yards and 92 TDs puts him above a number of Hall of Fame players. He also had a number of playoff marks that shows you how great he was in post season.... 98 catches for 1,389 yards and scored 15 touchdowns in 22 games.

Kelce has surpassed Gronk on those marks this past post season with 165 catches for 1,903 yards and 19 touchdowns in 22 games.

We sadly never got to see Gonzalez in post season much. In fact here was his numbers... 30 catches for 286 yards and scored 4 touchdowns in 7 games in the playoffs in his career.

Kelce maybe the greatest TE and as much as I hold Tony Gonzalez on a mantle....I think I need to really hand it to Kelce honestly.

Speaking of WR's , the Chargers have just released Mike Williams after 7 seasons with the team. He was injured a lot of 2023 and his salary cap number was near $25 million. To help get the team under the cap he was released.

Gronkowski has the numbers, the rings AND the impact, I hold his impact on the position more than anything. Couple of those season he was busted up and ALWAYS got a double-team and a bump and whatever in the hell you could do to that dude off the line of scrimmage.

Rob G. played for a decade for the same place. Can't Get Right only played in NE for surprisingly 3 years. So it was more a Batman and Robin situation. Grissled Miller Dark Knight and a crazy murdering Robin specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    He was a favorite red zone target before then, but less so between the 20s as he would later become.
    Well there was Welker and Edelman who were solid AF between the 20's. Sprinkle in a Randy Moss for a season. Crazy.

I think he does really. Gronk to me isn't the greatest TE (that is Tony of course...) but when Gronk played , he was a dominant player in his prime. His TE numbers with 621 receptions for 9,286 yards and 92 TDs puts him above a number of Hall of Fame players. He also had a number of playoff marks that shows you how great he was in post season.... 98 catches for 1,389 yards and scored 15 touchdowns in 22 games.
    ^Even a blind squirrel eats. Gronkowski in the playoffs was even a bigger monster than the regular season version.

There was a Colts v. Pats game, I think this was year 2 of the Luck era, maybe later. Whenever Sergio Brown was a DB. Brown was 6'2" 210 and Gronkowski casually was asked about a play were Brown was uhhh, discarded on the field of play. He said 'I threw him out of the club'. I mean, I understood that at the time but never heard a dude use it in that context. So disrespectful but at the same time not over the line... still.

Gronk was a linbacker playing on offense, some guys would play in ANY era. He always reminded me of Christian Okoya and that monster, RIP, played RB.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.