Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I feel like at this point they're going to keep pestering until they do some kind of revival.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like at this point they're going to keep pestering until they do some kind of revival.
    I'm sure they will. but it probably would be a financial winner. Not as a theater release but as a limited run series. The series ending was unsatisfactory IMO and the thing they did with it in the Arrowverse equally so.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Welling and Rosenbaum needs to work, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Welling and Rosenbaum needs to work, I see.
    Nostalgia pays!

Even though I didn't watch/like Smallville, YouTube has been suggesting Rosenbaum's podcast to me, so I watched a few clips. I watched one with Kristin and the show's original three stars all complained about how CW leaned so hard into love triangles on practically every show (as an aside, I can appreciate how they would give honest and sometimes negative opinions of creative decisions of the show). Anyway, it got me wondering about how a movie revival of this show would work; do you aim for the show's original audience, or do you write to get a new, young audience?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I see Superman & Lois as a Smallville sequel series. It's basically covering the all notes a Smallville revival would (or was in S1&2, didn't see 3 yet).

I like Welling and Rosenbaum, but I really think they'd be better off aiming for long-form audio plays at this stage. Relatively cheap to produce and I'm sure a lot of the cast would be happy to reprise their characters. Go to WB with a budgeted plan and with a view to get it on Audible. Or get Big Finish involved, they've built their own market in Doctor Who audio dramas.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

From Collider. ITA. Doing a Smallville film under the Elseworld label is a no brainer. Or other potential Superman projects like a follow-up film to Superman and Lois. Superman Elseworld projects would diversify Superman content much as Batman content is being diversified with Matt Reeves' Batverse.

A potential Smallville movie could explore Clark Kent's decision to give up his powers and live a normal life, as well as the dynamics between Clark, Lois Lane, and Lex Luthor.

Placing Smallville under the Elseworlds label of DC Films would diversify the franchise and add a science fiction element to the gritty crime epics of The Batman and Joker .

Bringing back other heroes and familiar faces from Smallville could make a movie a generational event, capturing the nostalgia and impact the show had on fans and the comic book industry.

There's never been a better time for a Smallville movie
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-09-2024 at 12:10 PM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Welling said he's prouder of his work on Smallville now, adding ...
    This is my core lingering problem with Tom Welling. Now is kinda TOO LATE to be proud about Smallville. His long-running Superman shame and recalcitrance is what has overtly and covertly surely thwarted all sorts of Smallville projects and ideas, ideas both during the show and after, probably many that we will never know about.

I will always have some disdain or bitterness for Tom. Rosenbaum, it'd be so great to see him as Lex again.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-09-2024 at 02:19 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    This is my core lingering problem with Tom Welling. Now is kinda TOO LATE to be proud about Smallville. His long-running Superman shame and recalcitrance is what has overtly and covertly surely thwarted all sorts of Smallville projects and ideas, ideas both during the show and after, probably many that we will never know about.

I will always have some disdain or bitterness for Tom. Rosenbaum, it'd be so great to see him as Lex again.
    I understand your position. I was put off by Welling at the time as he did not seem to embrace the character. Unlike Hoechlin. He was reluctant to don the suit at the end. He has changed though and having met him at events he appreciates now what he didn't then or so it seems. The bigger picture for me is getting live-action Superman apart from the DCU. I want more Supes content and the DeLuca/Abdy side of the company is the vehicle for that content.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That is if DC/WB sees Smallville as a worth the time and effort. Since the TV show went finished in 2011, aside from the comic, there has been no Smallville-related media. It's clear Welling and Rosenbaum are trying to drum up support, but is the Smallville fans loud enough?

Welling as Clark:

tomwelling2.jpg