View Poll Results: What are your thoughts?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I liked it

15 71.43%
  • I didn't like it

4 19.05%
  • It was alright

1 4.76%
  • I only liked certain parts

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think of Marvel Knights: Spider-Man?

Please give me your thoughts.

Which volume?

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    Which volume?
    Didn't realize there were multiple. The first one.

I always say it was like Batman: Hush but well done.

Astonishing Member

Good to great overall. Tense fight scenes, great art, good storyline, etc. There’s a couple small lines of dialogue that haven’t aged terrific (it being the early 00s when certain humor was still in vogue), but besides that it’s pretty great. I’d probably give it an 8.5/10.
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

Extraordinary Member

I like the conspiracy theory presented here about the origins of the silver age villains.
    It fits nicely with the 1998 Conspiracy miniseries that involved Howard Stark, Thunderbolt Ross, Bolivar Trask and others.
    Especially with later revelations/retcons we’ve gotten on Howard Stark in the last 15 years.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I really enjoyed it and actually count it as one of Mark Millars best.

Extraordinary Member

I really liked it.

Millar managed to use so many aspects of Spider-man's mythos in a compelling way while also making the story feel connected to the greater Marvel universe.
    He pushed the heroes to their limits without making them insufferable or annoying in their pain.
    I love how he wrote Peter and MJ as a couple and individuals. His Peter is a nice balance between everyman and experienced superhero, and his MJ managed to feel engaged with the superhero stuff while also having her own struggles to contend with.

It's just a really solid Spider-man story.

Agreed with the above posts.

Some tidbits I found interesting;

Norman Osborn said that the real reason he keeps being the Green Goblin and constantly battling Spider-Man is because before, he was just "a boring old businessman". Not sure if this idea was ever brought up again in other stories.

Also, a small thing but how did he manage to get the wife of the prison guard killed just by suggesting home remedies for her disease? He also suggested she not consume dairy products. I checked IRL information about the disease and it seems consuming dairy products actually does exacerbate the symptoms, so, her NOT consuming dairy products is probably not the reason she died. I guess it is just a case of comic book logic.

Another thing is that Spider-Man calls Black Cat "Miss Kyle" at some point. I wonder if that was on purpose or a genuine mistake.

In the arc right after Mark Millar and Frank Cho leaves, Spider-Man's suit and Peter Parker's face is drawn similiarly to his Raimi counterpart.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 02-02-2024 at 03:20 AM.

I think Millar's strengths are mostly present and his problematic tendencies are mostly kept in check. It's still pretty good.
    As a contribution to Spider-man continuity, I'm not sure: Norman is left a bit more insane and obsessed with Peter than he was (not a good direction in my view), Felicia is not allowed to move on from Peter (definitely bad for her character), and I don't think MacGargan's Venom is terribly popular, above and beyond starting the trend for sending the Venom symbiote around Peter and Eddie's extended cast like it's in the car pool.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

I really enjoyed the run. Solid Peter, MJ, and Felicia.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I like the conspiracy theory presented here about the origins of the silver age villains.
    For me, that's the one bit I wasn't crazy about. Never been a fan of these overarching conspiracies unless it is a one-off movie or something and that's the story. Wasn't crazy about everything being connected and under SHIELD in Ultimate either.

I did really like Norman's unhinged letter to Peter at the end of the story though. Normally, that aspect of post-Clone Saga Norman would annoy me. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Ubauba01 View Post
    Another thing is that Spider-Man calls Black Cat "Miss Kyle" at some point. I wonder if that was on purpose or a genuine mistake.
    Did he? I remember she checked into the hospital as "Julie Newmar".

In the arc right after Mark Millar and Frank Cho leaves, Spider-Man's suit and Peter Parker's face is drawn similiarly to his Raimi counterpart.
    The Dodsons were the artists on the run, not Fran Cho.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I think they alternated during Millar's run.

Did he? I remember she checked into the hospital as "Julie Newmar".
    Spider-Man called her "Miss Kyle" when they were breaking Norman out of prison.

Apparently only the issue 5 was drawn by Frank Cho. They have a somewhat similiar art style.

I really enjoyed this run.

In a lot of ways this feels like the end of the era of Spider-Man that I grew up with in the 90s. Norman is finally caught, Eddie's original run of Venom comes to an end, and the Peter/MJ/Felicia dynamic feels right to me. After this is when Spidey starts getting Other powers, living in Avengers Tower and before you know it we've hit OMD and everything changes for good. This run is the last one I can think of that truly feels like the Spider-Man of my youth.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    I really enjoyed this run.

In a lot of ways this feels like the end of the era of Spider-Man that I grew up with in the 90s. Norman is finally caught, Eddie's original run of Venom comes to an end, and the Peter/MJ/Felicia dynamic feels right to me. After this is when Spidey starts getting Other powers, living in Avengers Tower and before you know it we've hit OMD and everything changes for good. This run is the last one I can think of that truly feels like the Spider-Man of my youth.
    I suppose this was like a last hurrah to an era. The Mark Millar written parts of this run does have an end of an era kind of feel, what with Norman forming the Sinister Twelve and the final battle with him that you mentioned.

That feel is further exacerbated by the buildup/foreshadowing towards the Civil War and Peter revealing his secret identity Remember, that was written by the same writer. This Marvel Knights run is playing fast and loose about people finding out his secret identity or at least seeing his face. In one scene, Iron Man also suggests Peter to do away with his secret identity like he did, clearly a foreshadowing for things to come.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 02-02-2024 at 10:05 AM.