Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    The latest issue seemed to bring things together for me and I am started to be intrigued to see where it goes.

But I have to correct part of your post, In-Betweener and Oblivion have been part of Marvel's abstract beings for decades now.
    I am aware of them too, but I have no knowledge of what they represent.

This is a good image representing all the players.

I just read Ultimate Black Panther #1, and there were a few word balloons referencing “gods”. I wonder if the Ultimate Universe and G.O.D.S. are linked, and that later on, when the 6 months is up, (as referenced by Tony Starks message to Peter Parker in Ultimate Spider-Man #1), we may see both the Avengers and G.O.D.S meld together in the final battle of the Maker Council and the Ultimate Superheroes?
    We’ll just have to be patient for a while until this all plays out.

I wished G.O.D.S was written more like Ultimate Spider-Man. Wyn and the other new characters would benefit from how Hickman wrote Ultimate Peter and the others.

G.O.D.S feels stilted while Ultimate Spider-Man feels more warm.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I just read Ultimate Black Panther #1, and there were a few word balloons referencing “gods”. I wonder if the Ultimate Universe and G.O.D.S. are linked, and that later on, when the 6 months is up, (as referenced by Tony Starks message to Peter Parker in Ultimate Spider-Man #1), we may see both the Avengers and G.O.D.S meld together in the final battle of the Maker Council and the Ultimate Superheroes?
    We’ll just have to be patient for a while until this all plays out.
    G.O.D.S might've been better if it was set on 6160 than 616.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-15-2024 at 02:29 PM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Kind of agree…but I must admit I loved #1 of GODS just as much as I did with Ultimate Spider-Man (minus the familiarity we have with SM.) It’s kind of nice seeing Hickman writing something with a very positive spin than what he typically leans towards. The ending of #1 of GODs set up for me that I’d be buying this for the foreseeable.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I wished G.O.D.S was written more like Ultimate Spider-Man. Wyn and the other new characters would benefit from how Hickman wrote Ultimate Peter and the others.

G.O.D.S feels stilted while Ultimate Spider-Man feels more warm.

G.O.D.S might've been better if it was set on 6160 than 616.
    Ultimate Universe is linked to the 616, because the Illuminati of 616 chased Maker into the Multiverse, so I’m fine that G.O.D.S can transition into 6160.

But I’m like everyone else here, I’m confused with the style of writing this book, even though it has to be ubiquitous because it’s about esoteric beings of a higher order. I suppose Hickman was restricted in how he could write this.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-15-2024 at 04:52 PM.

Astonishing Member

I suppose we won’t know if Hickman’s gotten a green light for further issues beyond the originally approved 8 until June’s solicits then?

One thing I do not is that Wyn seems to have been wiping ‘the rules’ with his behind if there’s supposed to be a bound proxy/envoy/apprentice of magic assigned to each Centivar or prime but he was blocking such a thing till Aiko recruited Mia

I'd describe it as more like Planetary than Saga meets Sandman.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I suppose we won’t know if Hickman’s gotten a green light for further issues beyond the originally approved 8 until June’s solicits then?
    I believe we've known for a while that G.O.D.S. is meant to be a 8-issue maxiseries.
    There's a trade paperback collecting all 8 issues coming out later this year.
    https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...athan-hickman/

Hickman said this book was divided into two arcs.
    The first arc (1-4), guest-starring Dr Strange, was about Wyn and Strange investigating the mystery of the Skinner Boxes.
    The second arc (5-8) starts this week.

I suggest that this story is being structured a bit like an independent comic.
    Hickman launches 8 issues of G.O.D.S. with Schiti, takes a few months break, then launches 8 issues of G.O.D.S. 2 with either Schiti or a new artist, takes a few months break, and so on.
    Similar to how Mark Millar does The Magic Order for Image Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    I believe we've known for a while that G.O.D.S. is meant to be a 8-issue maxiseries.
    There's a trade paperback collecting all 8 issues coming out later this year.
    https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...athan-hickman/

Hickman said this book was divided into two arcs.
    The first arc (1-4), guest-starring Dr Strange, was about Wyn and Strange investigating the mystery of the Skinner Boxes.
    The second arc (5-8) starts this week.

I suggest that this story is being structured a bit like an independent comic.
    Hickman launches 8 issues of G.O.D.S. with Schiti, takes a few months break, then launches 8 issues of G.O.D.S. 2 with either Schiti or a new artist, takes a few months break, and so on.
    Similar to how Mark Millar does The Magic Order for Image Comics.
    I'm still surprised this isn't an independent comic.

Astonishing Member

I would have thought that Hickman had delivered the goods often enough before that Marvel would have allotted him more issues instead of Yet Another Wolverine adjacent book.

With regards to the issue itself, I’m wondering if spoilers:
    TPTB is more of a conceptual medium/internet service provider connecting the material and the mystical forces of the universe for it to be able to arbitrarily put limiters on Mia’s magical growth (presumably the ‘bargaining with higher entities’ part of magic, since she’s got the ‘internal’ and ‘draw from surroundings’ parts)
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still surprised this isn't an independent comic.
    It could work as an indie comic but I'm not sure Marvel is holding it back. It's a passable urban fantasy but it lacks a cool hook to draw people in. You could cut Doctor Strange and the other Marvel elements but I'm not sure the book would improve.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-21-2024 at 04:56 PM.

I thought it was an ongoing, but it seems like few books truly are these days. I also imagine they were expecting it to be a bigger deal than it ended up being. I like the comic fine, but I don't see much hype for it at all.

According to brevoort's newsletter it was an ongoing if it sold well enough. My guess is the first eight chapters were set in stone but they didn't want to limit it selling potential by announcing it as a mini. Good old stealth mini tactics.
    https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/74-odds-and-ends

This always felt like it had a limited shot outside being written by Hickman. But even he couldn't really sell it.