Default Could Willow continue in some other media?

Disney+ cancelled Willow. The series sort of had a mixed reaction, some of it having to do with maybe putting too many 'modern' pop culture references into it's fantasy realm (Including putting pop songs at the end credits like an MCU project)

It ended on a cliffhanger and promised two more 'books' which might never get made, and the lingering mystery of Elora's fate and the Wyrm, who is the "big bad" behind Balmora and the Crone.

But could it continue in some other form? A Marvel comic series, game etc? I know the original Willow had some pretty much maligned sequel novels (Which were overridden by the Disney+ shows).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I've only watched the movie a long time ago and never watched the series. Is the "world" of Willow particular interesting? I don't remember it being anything in particular aside from a generic D&D type setting. I feel like any IP would need that if it were to exist in various media, or is it just about following the characters since they've been (presumably) built up in the series?

The movie was kind of vague on a lot of details of the world, the series kind of tried to flesh that out a bit; we meet Kael's people for example and why he served Bavmorda; also that Bavmorda was actually an apprentice to a greater evil (The Crone) who was serving yet another eldrich (Wyrm)horror or something like that.

She basically tried to turn Sorsha and Madmartigan's son (and Bavmorda's grandson) into Bavmorda 2.0/Kylo Ren type.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

The movie is great and even better since its standalone. After watching the show that is only ok and not being able to read through the terrible 1st novel by Chris Claremont I m Team Donewithwillow. Will always rewatch the movie though

Extraordinary Member

I saw Willow the movie hoping for LoTR, and got a mediocre fantasy with none of the world building of the latter, none of the deep thought that went into Tolkien's work, and mostly bad acting, (Kilmer's charm was mostly all that saved it). It ultimately was just a very minor cult movie as far as I was concerned.

I have not seen the series, but I've heard it was very terrible, much worse than the movie. I don't get Disney's pulling it forever from streaming, basically Batgirling it, though. The purported badness of the thing was enough to catch my interest...I would have seen it had it not been gone by then. Now, I never can. They've already spent the money on it, and they can't claim the loss against taxes as they've already shown it for a time, so why not simply leave it up for the marginal additional revenue they might claim as other people watch it?

Ultimate Member

It's technically possible but damn unlikely, I imagine.

Disney, for whatever reason, wants to bury the series, and revisiting it in another form would go against that

BANNED

actually yes, the Willow show can continue on other streaming app/sites if the makers of the Willow show get their heads out of their butts. Theres other stuff besides frikkin Disneyplus

Netflix
    Hulu
    Tubi
    Freevee
    Paramountplus

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    actually yes, the Willow show can continue on other streaming app/sites if the makers of the Willow show get their heads out of their butts. Theres other stuff besides frikkin Disneyplus

Netflix
    Hulu
    Tubi
    Freevee
    Paramountplus
    I'm pretty sure Disney owns Willow, so it's not up to the show runners where it goes. If another streamer wanted to pony up the cash and produce another season could Disney decide to license the property? Maybe, but I doubt it as if you have to pay Disney for the rights why not cut them out and just do your own fantasy show?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post

Netflix
    Hulu
    Tubi
    Freevee
    Paramountplus
    Are you one of the people who thinks Zack Snyder can make his DC movies for Netflix?

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Are you one of the people who thinks Zack Snyder can make his DC movies for Netflix?
    He can make discount DC like he made discount Star Wars .

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Could it continue, sure.
    It doesn't appear at present Disney has a desire for it continue though, in any media format given the reception to S1 of the live action revival.

It will likely have to sit fallow for years like Tron does before someone approves another go at the property.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Man. I watched the show. And it was rough. It didnt really know what it wanted to be. There is a show I have mentioned it before that sort of took this concept, with pop culture and fantasy called Britannia which is much more adult and brilliant. My impression is Willow tried to do this in a dumbed down teenage audience way. Sadly the amazing Britannia was canceled after 3 seasons as good as it was. The whole Covid thing jacked it all up.