Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default John Walker: US Agent Appreciation 2024

usagent1.jpg

I just finished reading the "American Zealot" trade paperback/mini series, and I thought it was great. Really good work from Priest, and good art. There were a lot of twists to the story, especially the adversaries that he ended up facing.

Really liked how it picked up on aspects of John Walker's past (the Mark Gruenwald era), and also was thoughtful enough to be inclusive of BattleStar, and the critiques of his early portrayal. The new character "Morrie" is intriguing, though not enough was revealed about his backstory, as well as for the main adversary who comes against Walker.

I hope that Priest can write the character again in an ongoing series. Even two separate Captain American and US Agent ongoing series.

Extraordinary Member

John is a favorite of mine. Unfortunately if he is not being written well by someone who cares he is being written very badly.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Hoping 2024 will be Awesome for John Walker: U.S. Agent

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I first became aware of John Walker in that now famous Captain America #350 issue. I hadn't been buying Cap cause I was like 12/13 and only had so much chores allowance $$ to spend. It may be the first one I bought as it came out. The few others I got out of a .50 bin at my LCS but I digress. I liked this brazen Cap and followed him more as he bacame US Agent. When he got a mini-series in the 90s I hoped it would become a series of them like Venom. Walker then again became Captain America with an alt shield as he headed up a reformatted Invaders book called New Invaders. That book was really getting interesting about the time Marvel decided it wasn't cutting it, *sigh*. He's had the journey through Omega Flight and being without legs for a spell I forget what title that was in (Thunderbolts?). His last mini with Priest was MEH to me but I was glad to see him get some time again even if he didn't shine. Waiting for Marvel and the right writer to come along with something bigger and better for him.
    JohnWalker_USAgent_classic.JPG

JohnWalker_USAgent_mini.jpg

JohnWalker_CapAm_NewInvaders.JPG
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I first became aware of John Walker in that now famous Captain America #350 issue. I hadn't been buying Cap cause I was like 12/13 and only had so much chores allowance $$ to spend. It may be the first one I bought as it came out. The few others I got out of a .50 bin at my LCS but I digress. I liked this brazen Cap and followed him more as he bacame US Agent. When he got a mini-series in the 90s I hoped it would become a series of them like Venom. Walker then again became Captain America with an alt shield as he headed up a reformatted Invaders book called New Invaders. That book was really getting interesting about the time Marvel decided it wasn't cutting it, *sigh*. He's had the journey through Omega Flight and being without legs for a spell I forget what title that was in (Thunderbolts?). His last mini with Priest was MEH to me but I was glad to see him get some time again even if he didn't shine. Waiting for Marvel and the right writer to come along with something bigger and better for him.
    JohnWalker_USAgent_classic.JPG

JohnWalker_USAgent_mini.jpg

JohnWalker_CapAm_NewInvaders.JPG
    Lost an arm and a leg in Mighty Avengers and was warden of the Raft in Thunderbolts...that led into the Dark Avengers series that went into an alternate dimension and he had his arm and leg regrown.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

spoilers:
    in the American Zealot story, Nice to see the Valerie Cooper character again.
    I also notice that she and Walker have "a thing" going on. But i'm wondering will any other writers follow up on it.
    end of spoilers

I forget, has he been in any cartoons yet?

aside being an alternate skin for Cap in certain video games, has he been his own character in any of them yet?

Astonishing Member

I thought he was the best thing in FATWS. Hope he has a huge role in CANWO.

Good old John .

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I forget, has he been in any cartoons yet?
    The costume was worn by an alt reality Steve in Avengers Assemble S1 - Avengers Protocol

Not been seen in use by John Walker in animation that I recall as yet though.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I liked John best as written by John Byrne in Avengers West Coast. As an outsider assigned to the team, he was a good audience surrogate.

He also had that Guy Gardner pro-Reagan America love it or leave it demeanor which I loved, right down to challenging the authority of team leader Hawkeye (though Hawkeye didn’t pull off one shotting John the way Batman did Guy).

And Byrne showed that like Guy Gardner, John was more than what he seemed on the surface.

Unfortunately most writers since haven’t done more than scratch that surface.

Extraordinary Member

John playing video games with Julia Carpenter's daughter Rachel while with Omega Flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    John playing video games with Julia Carpenter's daughter Rachel while with Omega Flight.
    ^^^NICE scene!
    He shouldn’t be talking like Ben Grimm, though.

Jerry Ordway's take on this USAgent character was good. But I like Christopher Priest's take much more.

Extraordinary Member

And yet again...John Walker gets treated like a punk and taken down with 2 kicks from Shang Chi. I get a they need someone to lose a fight in the story...but don't take someone who has a proven record of fighting some of the best and treat them like a no load punk.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I thought he was the best thing in FATWS. Hope he has a huge role in CANWO.
    I wish I knew what these abbreviations meant
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver