Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Cinema View Post
    The Crisis Core FF7 Guide even states outright that Sephiroth's supernova attack destroys planets with the power of an expanding sun.
    And yet the planet on which they are standing somehow still exists at the end of it.

Also, we typically don’t use statements from guides, in the same way we don’t use character statements or editorial blurb in comics, because they are often full of massive hyperbole about how incredible something is, while the feat itself doesn’t match up to it.

I think that’s probably the case here.
    Chief Curmudgeon

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Also, a summons is a function of Materia. The power comes from the Materia. People spend magic points to activate the Materia, but they don't create the effect/call the beings/whatever. The Materia does.

The magic points expended are not being directly used to create that power, either. It's the Materia that does it. "In "Episode: Yuffie" of On the Way to a Smile, it is explained that to use a materia's power, a shock triggered by the user's mind waves is required. As a result the user's mind is weakened and frequent materia use without rest taxes their stamina." This story is canon, so there's the actual explanation for the use of mana points.

Even IF these summons do stuff on the level power that's being argued - so far, not at all convinced myself, for reasons others have explained - why does that have any bearing on the personal power/durability/whatever of the character, who is essentially using mana to flip a switch on a superweapon?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I can't. That image is WAY too tiny.
    My bad.

Try this: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/vs...20220627034127

Was I talking about SuperNova? We were talking about Knights of the Round.
    Yeah my bad. I meant the Knights of the Round. The summon was literally sustaining a dimension large enough to hold at least a couple galaxies.

But do they get blown up? Or are they just floating in the background to show off "Space"?
    King Arthur literally cleaves and destroys the dimension itself in one swing at the end of the animation.

Also I just remembered that the summons don't actually drag their enemies to another realm per se, they actually create their realms and literally bring them to their enemies and boom it gets all blown up in their faces. Then back to the original world they were fighting on. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Even Bahamut Fury literally cleaves space itself a new hole.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    And yet the planet on which they are standing somehow still exists at the end of it.

Also, we typically don’t use statements from guides, in the same way we don’t use character statements or editorial blurb in comics, because they are often full of massive hyperbole about how incredible something is, while the feat itself doesn’t match up to it.

I think that’s probably the case here.
    Well no not the planet they're standing on, but the dimension the summons bring to them and blowing said dimension up in their faces before sending them back to the original dimension of their planet.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

but if all of that were true, then how is it that aerith can get taken down by simply getting stabbed in the back? unless that sword of sephy's is a lot more special than we thought.

also, in D.O.S., vincent was getting hurt by members of deep ground and by the logic being purposed here, they must be at least planet busting levels to be able to do that. and yet, they didn't display any of that level of power. so either cloud and his crew are tough enough to throw hands with galactus, a being who destroys galaxies as the side effect of clashes he's had with similarly powerful beings, or its hyperbole.

Consistency in presentation, not high-end feats are kind of the name of the game here yeah

If a character has feats way out of wack from the majority of the rest and we want to take those high end feats as true then it basically means throwing out the rest of the character aside from those few moments. What's left is kind of boring for discussion tbh
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie