Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I mean Disgaea is clear about that, so I give them credit for that, but Sephiroth is wacky.

The Best Part? It's Percentage damage. It CAN'T kill any of your dudes.

The other idea is powerful magic (especially Summons) in FF7 ALWAYS restore the collateral damage at the end of the attack animation, so this is just one more example.
    This sounds like contradictory fan logic that's attempting to have its cake and eat it too.

Sure, it totally happened and makes sense, so long as you make up unquantifiable reasons for it outside of appearances and it justifies your faves winning.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    This sounds like contradictory fan logic that's attempting to have its cake and eat it too.

Sure, it totally happened and makes sense, so long as you make up unquantifiable reasons for it outside of appearances and it justifies your faves winning.
    Well, I'm just saying the Bahaumets, and Knights of the Round and other ones had collateral damage too, and the stage was always fine after them.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

unless there is a interview where nomura specifically what "supernova" is and what it does, its best not to use it. keep in mind, i have no horse in this race. i just chimed in about the move. honestly, i avoid using that move when sephy comes up in rumbles.

Extraordinary Member

In Crisis Core, Sephiroth's fans refer to Supernova as being his limit break. So at a minimum, Sephiroth canonically has a move named Supernova.

The move also appears in the fighting game spin off Dissidia, which I THINK is canon to the other FF games

The animation here could lend credence to the pocket dimension idea, though it's also obviously not as high scale as the version Safer Sephiroth.

I've also seen claims that the final battle of FF7 takes place in a "Dream Like Reality" and that's why it looks like Sephiroth can look like he nukes the planet several times

I suppose my issue is, if Sephiroth could do this on a whim, why did he need the Black Materia needed to summon Meteor in order to wound the planet sufficiently enough to drain the Lifestream?

Did he just really, really, really need a convoluted device to hold his strength back the whole time while he was sleeping in the North Crater? Why didn't he just go to the parallel dimension and drain the planet there?

Or, considering the plotline and events of the game, shall we apply Occam's Razor to Supernova and conclude it was just a cinematic flourish that looks cool and has no bearing on his actual presentation or feats?

...boy are we far afield from the original question of the thread. Tifa probably wins, but not due to these bizarre conjectures.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

For Rumbles purposes, it kind of boils down to two possibilities:

1. It's shenanigans;
    2. It's real.

If it's #1, it's not important.

If it's #2, then Cloud and Co. eating an exploding star in the face is so far above everything else that can actually damage/threaten them in the game that I'd think this would be a classic SMvsFL outlier and be tossed out.

Sooooo...my personal feeling that whether it's real or not is completely unimportant for this Rumble. For the purpose of discussing Sephiroth's capacity to cause a Supernova or whatever, sure; but for the purpose of working out what Tifa's durability could be? Not really.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Or maybe Loz punched her so hard, it broke the resolutely adamantine pews and floorboards of the old Midgard church.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Or maybe Loz punched her so hard, it broke the resolutely adamantine pews and floorboards of the old Midgard church.
    Forum needs a like button. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

Citation needed. Which guidebooks? "Just fucking trust me bro" sounds rather dubious, you understand.

Zack Fair also scales to Cloud. Were the Shinra firearms that killed him designed to take down celestial bodies?

Moreover, in Advent Children, was Loz punching with the power to crush moons when he fought Tifa?

This scaling seems nonsensical and hyperbolic if Cloud could have just jumped through the atmosphere and cut the Meteor in half when even materia nukes couldn't do anything.
    Okay, here you go:
    https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/vs...und_Part_1.png
    https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/vs...und_Part_2.png
    https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/vs...und_Part_3.png

Japanese translations: "Energy erupts from the hollow, opening a portal to the gap between dimensions."
    "They reach the gap between dimensions, which emits a faint light."
    "The first knight of the round table appears from gap between dimensions."
    "Excalibur's shockwave spreads and cracks the space."
    "The space is broken into small pieces and the dimensional gap disappears."

Read it. It's all there. The space itself is actually destroyed and the energy travels between dimensions.

Anyone that can command the Knights of the Round Table summon is certifiably hitting multi-solar system or even galaxy levels of destructive power dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Cinema View Post
    Okay, here you go:
    https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/vs...und_Part_1.png
    https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/vs...und_Part_2.png
    https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/vs...und_Part_3.png

Japanese translations: "Energy erupts from the hollow, opening a portal to the gap between dimensions."
    "They reach the gap between dimensions, which emits a faint light."
    "The first knight of the round table appears from gap between dimensions."
    "Excalibur's shockwave spreads and cracks the space."
    "The space is broken into small pieces and the dimensional gap disappears."

Read it. It's all there. The space itself is actually destroyed and the energy travels between dimensions.
    ...this is describing the visual transition to the summon animation. It looks cool yet has no bearing on the actual events of the story.

Please, do Supernova next. Or rather, don't.

Anyone that can command the Knights of the Round Table summon is certifiably hitting multi-solar system or even galaxy levels of destructive power dude.
    I find your certifications baseless. Even in your posted translation, neither solar systems nor galaxies are mentioned. Are we supposed to conclude just because there's a backdrop of stars that it must be highballed at the largest possibly stellar body we can possibly concieve of, and not that the PS1 has limited rendering capabilities so they used a skybox with a field of stars and nebulae as a neat, abstract visual effect?

I'm out. As stated before, Tifa wins for entirely other reasons, and please read the rules.
    Last edited by grampagen; 02-19-2024 at 03:30 PM.

I find your certifications baseless. Even in your posted translation, neither solar systems nor galaxies are mentioned. Are we supposed to conclude just because there's a backdrop of stars that it must be highballed at the largest possibly stellar body we can possibly concieve of, and not that the PS1 has limited rendering capabilities so they used a skybox with a field of stars and nebulae as a neat, abstract visual effect?
    I'd believe "Flying through space". They did something similar with Bahamut ZERO. But it doesn't even show them blowing up any Celestial bodies!! Why would we assume Knights of the Round is even a Solar System buster, when they, you know, don't actually bust a Solar System? Much less a GALAXY.

Well I know of the FF Ultimania books. Those are the books I know a reference for canon by FF fans.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I'd believe "Flying through space". They did something similar with Bahamut ZERO. But it doesn't even show them blowing up any Celestial bodies!! Why would we assume Knights of the Round is even a Solar System buster, when they, you know, don't actually bust a Solar System? Much less a GALAXY.
    Read here: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/vs..._Dimension.png

The Crisis Core FF7 Guide even states outright that Sephiroth's supernova attack destroys planets with the power of an expanding sun.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/vs...d_Galaxies.gif

Also you see in this gif? A few galaxies seem to be laying around there...

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i'm not cool with saying the knights of the round can bust planets and/or galaxies from just descriptive text.

if they were truly that strong, then meteor wouldn't be a threat to the team at all. hell, as someone mention, sephy wouldn't need meteor to wound the planet as he would be strong enough to do so himself.

I can't. That image is WAY too tiny.

The Crisis Core FF7 Guide even states outright that Sephiroth's supernova attack destroys planets with the power of an expanding sun.
    Was I talking about SuperNova? We were talking about Knights of the Round.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/vs...d_Galaxies.gif

Also you see in this gif? A few galaxies seem to be laying around there...
    But do they get blown up? Or are they just floating in the background to show off "Space"?